• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hi all

Don626

Thanks for letting me join, I am new to all this precious metals biz, so trying to look around at what's available.

I am looking at possibly investing/purchasing either 2 X 1/4 2019 gold Britannia or a small stack of 2019 1oz silver Britannia to start with.  I am really really undecided.

I have been watching a few of the backyard bullion videos on YouTube and like the idea in the shared purchase from Europe to save on VAT and delivery costs. I have no doubt there is a lot of people on here that have done this already. Do you all buy for long term investment?

I am really unsure what path to go down either silver or gold, like most people I want to get as much for my money as I can and fingers crossed I don't loose out in the future. 

I was initially looking at BullionByPost but their premiums do seem high but Gold.co.uk seem a little less but as I already said your bulk buys from this forum do seem very appealing.

Sounds like a safe start. For the price of a couple 1/4 oz Gold Britannia's you could get a pair of half decent old sovs - shield backed or higher grade <1887, or save a few quid and go for a modern generic, just a case of personal preference. If its purely bullion weight your after go as close to spot as possible. Most people will say go for gold and silver, figure out a ratio your happy with and plod along at whatever pace suits. Rectangular 1oz Dragon coins are hot atm, might be a good alternative to the silver Brits... 

This'll be my first buy-in on the group order but I've bought from Europe by courier a few times before - everything here seems very above board, it makes perfect sense and its 100% legal. You won't get it any cheaper, unless you live next door to a bullion dealer in a VAT-free country. Postage works out cheaper than a pasty and a bus ticket to the local city. I have zero reservations and total confidence, if that helps you at all.

2 minutes ago, EdNug said:

Sounds like a safe start. For the price of a couple 1/4 oz Gold Britannia's you could get a pair of half decent old sovs - shield backed or higher grade <1887, or save a few quid and go for a modern generic, just a case of personal preference. If its purely bullion weight your after go as close to spot as possible. Most people will say go for gold and silver, figure out a ratio your happy with and plod along at whatever pace suits. Rectangular 1oz Dragon coins are hot atm, might be a good alternative to the silver Brits... 

This'll be my first buy-in on the group order but I've bought from Europe by courier a few times before - everything here seems very above board, it makes perfect sense and its 100% legal. You won't get it any cheaper, unless you live next door to a bullion dealer in a VAT-free country. Postage works out cheaper than a pasty and a bus ticket to the local city. I have zero reservations and total confidence, if that helps you at all.

Thank you for your response. I am still in the research stage at the mo as don't want to make any rash decisions. I am watching the Gold/Silver pricing regularly and I am hoping to be ready next week on a purchase if the price is right or I will wait for the next bulk buy and see if I can't jump in 😊

If you're ready next week the timing will be perfect.

Have a decent look around for gold as well, local auctions can be a good source. Some do reduced commissions on pm's and probate sales are great for spot price higher grade old sovs. I got a nice and sharp Bun Head just before Christmas like that, £252. 

12 minutes ago, EdNug said:

If you're ready next week the timing will be perfect.

Have a decent look around for gold as well, local auctions can be a good source. Some do reduced commissions on pm's and probate sales are great for spot price higher grade old sovs. I got a nice and sharp 1837 just before Christmas like that, £252. 

Brilliant, thank you for the link.

1 minute ago, CadmiumGreen said:

You picked up an 1837 William IV Sovereign for £252?

No, it was a young head Victoria, I'm sure it said 1837 but i just looked and they're listed as starting 1838, if I've got the date wrong its not far out, been looking at loads of them recently. It went straight in the stash, will check again next time i'm in its vicinity. I've already got 10 or so Bun heads and this was definitely the oldest.

@Don626, sorry about slight divergence of your welcome post! Can’t go wrong with Gold Sovereigns as a way to start out in building out a gold stack...and you can pick them up at close to spot. Definitely take a look at BYB’s Group order coming up...Britannia’s are probably the best for starting out your silver stack.

3 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

@Don626, sorry about slight divergence of your welcome post! Can’t go wrong with Gold Sovereigns as a way to start out in building out a gold stack...and you can pick them up at close to spot. Definitely take a look at BYB’s Group order coming up...Britannia’s are probably the best for starting out your silver stack.

Not a problem 😊, all good info to read.

27 minutes ago, Fastnick said:

You just never know who you'll run into in the PM world, do you!

Welcome to the SF, my friend :)

Thank you, wasn't expecting to see yourself here, small world 😊

Archived