• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

unwanted mark

shark

hi all

i just picked up a 2015 gold proof sovereign today .due to inexperience and lighting i did not notice a scratch and what looks to be a dull spot near the tail of the horse.

does anyone know what this dull spot can be? and can i remove it.Its almost like some of the luster has been removed.

20181205_180233.jpg

The smudge does look like a finger mark.

There was this thread last year.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

just spoke to a guy from HGT he said the mark was from the acid that was used at some time to test the coin was real gold."CLEVER"

Nice so its permanent. Not to sure the coin is worth the £310 i payed for it , its more like a billion coin now.

OH well its a hard lesson to learn but once bitten:) I am still new at collecting but now will take more time and inspection when choosing a coin to buy.

THANX  

9 hours ago, shark said:

just spoke to a guy from HGT he said the mark was from the acid that was used at some time to test the coin was real gold."CLEVER"

Nice so its permanent. Not to sure the coin is worth the £310 i payed for it , its more like a billion coin now.

OH well its a hard lesson to learn but once bitten:) I am still new at collecting but now will take more time and inspection when choosing a coin to buy.

THANX  

HGT ?

Which mark are you referring to? The large one above the tail, near the edge, whick looks like a safety pin shape or the small milky one near the bottom of the tail, near the edge?

The former looks like a scratch and the latter is so small it is extremely unlikely to be from an acid test. I would defy anyone to add a drop of acid so small to cause that mark without it spreading. They usually use a fine file on the rim to take off a bit of gold for testing.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

tbh with a scratch like that and also those on the other side near the leg and head, the small tarnished spot is irrelevant, it's not much better than bullion as it stands.

Did you buy it from HGM? for £310? How times change:(

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived