• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Treasure Hunt, X marks the Spot

MintageSeller

Hello Guys, I was wondering if anyone would be interested taking part in a treasure hunt. People could donate Silver/ Trinkets/ anything and everything “Treasure” these items will then be scattered and buried all over the UK. Maps can be created and thus for released to the silver forum. It would be incredible if everyone took part. It would be even more interesting if everyone drew their own map, and buried an item. X marks the spot gentlemen. I’d like some input on how many people would be interested. I’ll be honest, maybe we could even increase the members in the forum. 

A friend's late dad used to do this back in the 90s, hiding treasure around the UK and leaving clues for folk to find. There might well be a society or national group who already do this sort of thing.

There was also some very rich chap in the US who supposedly (as it hadn't been found at the time I read about it) buried an absolute fortune of PMs, precious stones etc in a real treasure chest, somewhere in a range of mountains iirc.

6 hours ago, kimchi said:

There was also some very rich chap in the US who supposedly (as it hadn't been found at the time I read about it) buried an absolute fortune of PMs, precious stones etc in a real treasure chest, somewhere in a range of mountains iirc.

I hope he left some clues:huh:

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, kimchi said:

A friend's late dad used to do this back in the 90s, hiding treasure around the UK and leaving clues for folk to find. There might well be a society or national group who already do this sort of thing.

I've watched some programs about that guy. From what I remember they think it's in the rocky mountains somewhere but they've yet to find it.... Silver forum treasure hunt holiday anyone? ;)

30 minutes ago, mustynewb said:

Silver forum treasure hunt holiday anyone? ;)

Now that could be a huge load of fun - especially if we did actually strike lucky and then had to come up with a plan to get the loot home to the UK :lol:

42 minutes ago, kimchi said:

How many Rockys are there? Only four or five isn't it?

The Rocky Mountains stretch some 3,000 miles from British Columbia and Alberta in Canada through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and down to New Mexico in the U.S. The range offers dramatic wilderness, diverse wildlife and alpine lakes. Colorado’s Rocky Mountain National Park is traversed by numerous hiking trails and the famously scenic Trail Ridge Road, a 48-mile highway that reaches a high point of 12,183ft.

Just reading up on it and four people have died looking for it, and some folk have got as close as 60m to it and missed it, the guy (he's still alive) reckons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenn_treasure

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

The Rocky Mountains stretch some 3,000 miles from British Columbia and Alberta in Canada through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and down to New Mexico in the U.S. The range offers dramatic wilderness, diverse wildlife and alpine lakes. Colorado’s Rocky Mountain National Park is traversed by numerous hiking trails and the famously scenic Trail Ridge Road, a 48-mile highway that reaches a high point of 12,183ft.

Are we sure this guy in not the biggest wind-up merchant ever?!! :wacko:

If not I reckon a crack team of five us or so could find that stash quicksmart! :)

I'd do it, like the idea.

There was a book many years ago when I was a child that had clues in to the location of some necklace... was rabbit/hare themed is all I can remember and I think that was found.

I guess we could do the old classic "my first is in @kimchi but not in... err.... imchi?" lol

13 minutes ago, terakris said:

There was a book many years ago when I was a child that had clues in to the location of some necklace... was rabbit/hare themed is all I can remember and I think that was found.

Masquerade

by Kit Williams

Masquerade-book.jpg

OK folks - how about this.  Answer = the name of a mountain

Clue - How a Scotsman might describe a small fastening, eg on a child’s shoe or a not very tall shepherd

Answers below please coinsters

On 13/11/2018 at 07:58, MickB said:

Do you have to get permission first to bury on someone's land as if there were a few people turning up with shovels unannounced, the land owner wouldn't be too impressed?

I’m thinking for every hole dug, a tree can be buried. 

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Clue - How a Scotsman might describe a small fastening, eg on a child’s shoe or a not very tall shepherd

What do we win? Perhaps a shiny coin of some sort. I don’t think anyone would say no to a shiny pence

16 minutes ago, MintageSeller said:

What do we win? Perhaps a shiny coin of some sort. I don’t think anyone would say no to a shiny pence

Someone from Yorkshire wanting a freebie???  I was once told that a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman that has been stripped of his sense of generosity...However:

Here’s my test case....In the UK, a 10 digit grid ref is no use if you don’t know which map to use (normally 2 letters precede a grid ref - eg GR 12345 67890

So my thought was to test how cryptic I could get away with to point someone at a hill and then they work out the clues to grid ref, but I’ve not done this before so wanted a test case!

BUT, since you asked so nicely (?), I will throw a longest reigning monarch, £20 coin, p&p included to the first person to get the answer right...

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Buachaille Etive Mòr?

6 hours ago, terakris said:

Thats it! :o Childhood memories come flashing back.

A fantastic book - I have this and another by Kit Williams. My kids love the hidden animals in the pictures

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 minute ago, MickD said:
Buachaille Etive Beag?

ahhhhh - he got there in the end!

Buachaille is gaelic for shepherd, Beag is small, Buachaille Etive Beag literally means the Small Shepherd of Etive, but is often referred to as the "Wee Buckle"

Buachaille Etive Mor is the grand or Big Shepherd of Etive, the "Big Buckle" - iconic mountain, which anyone that has see Skyfall will have seen

CONGRATULATIONS to MickD - A spontaneous competition means he's the winner of a £20 coin (PM me your address please and I will get it in the post to you next week as soon as I can get to a post office)

Happy Friday coinsters

Archived