• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 India Gold Sovereign

NeutronJack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Goldmick said:

Just seen one on e bay for £467. Phoned uk bullion there trying to get some and will let me khow so fingers crossed will post on here if they get some 

Don't think that resell price will last long (like so many recent 'special issue' Sovs - the price starts huge for the first few days/weeks/months and then drops, before finally finding a value a few years later after all those ups and downs. I'd argue these are far, far more forgettable than e.g. the special Sovs from the RM last year - as nice as they are). Maybe in forty/a hundred years these will eventually be huge winners, but i won't be around then! A gold price reset is far more likely in my lifetime.

A really nice coin no doubt but I won't be paying £280 for this. UK Bullion - ah that was the company who effed so many of us over last time, wasn't it?

Yes wish I was a bit younger lol don't think I will be around in even 30 years time. I just like sov.s lol. I've not sold any of my sov.s not even when I could have made a profit. UK bullion did put there price up I think but I had mine by then. Numi did help them big time on the 2017 one. And I did ask for the silver forum to get a discount but didn't work oh well did try. As for the sovereign from pamp it is a nice coin 

I would caution the urge to buy these at a high price from a fear of missing out. 

The India Sovereigns each year are always released around October due to the festival season in India, and are available well into the following year. They aren’t limited mintage so there’s no real reason to rush to buy them. Certainly not at these prices. 

Just my thoughts.

On 23/10/2018 at 17:34, augur said:

Anyone with Asian (for non-British: Indian) background or insight who can comment on the updated "sedate and classical" packaging?

IMG_9273.PNG.1770107ec4eab8d13de7d6a868657f5b.PNG

I suppose that the colour matches the reddish brown of the Royal Mint packaging for sovereigns. Unfortunately in the UK we probably end up with the card only, which on its own looks a bit like left hand only and fit for NCS conservation...

IMG_9274.PNG.25af12318a6785a6133741eaea9b3326.PNG

The coin itself is much nicer with St. George full of life opposed to the skinny deflated one from the Royal Mint this year. Just wondering if the colour is more golden indeed or just a matter of photography (it's the centenary of the India Sovereign after all).

IMG_9272.PNG.1d99e37cf3767fba000c42da1bcfd8c6.PNG

IMG_9275.JPG.656c0937221238049cd997dd9f793f51.JPG

I actually do like this colour better than the red. I feel like the maroon/brown makes the gold really stand out in contrast to the card. By “classical” colour I wonder if they mean “like that of the Royal Mint” :)

What I dislike is they’ve stopped identifying the year on the card, but that’s nothing new for this year, they had stopped from 2017 already. Perhaps they did so to cut costs.

4 hours ago, Goldmick said:

Yes wish I was a bit younger lol don't think I will be around in even 30 years time. I just like sov.s lol. I've not sold any of my sov.s not even when I could have made a profit. UK bullion did put there price up I think but I had mine by then. Numi did help them big time on the 2017 one. And I did ask for the silver forum to get a discount but didn't work oh well did try. As for the sovereign from pamp it is a nice coin 

Yes Numi’s videos do generate interest as it reaches people who don’t follow coin releases as closely as we do on forums like this. But those casual types usually also get suckered into paying more because of the hype.

As I said, this isn’t some limited edition set of a few hundred or thousand that will sell out. They’ve just been released and will be available at least until this time next year.

So my advice, based on my experience with MMTC PAMP and the India Sovereigns, is to wait until you get a good deal. At least for the next 6 - 10 months. After that paying a bit more would make sense, just as with most prior year “special bullion” releases.  

16 minutes ago, augur said:

After looking st the real thing, the G&D from the PAMP website must be an earlier version with a photoshopped 2018. The coin looks the same as its British counterpart.

IMG_9272.PNG.1d99e37cf3767fba000c42da1bcfd8c6.PNG

IMG_9377.PNG.d50a0094975f702fae285cfc1ad101e5.PNG

IMG_9275.JPG.656c0937221238049cd997dd9f793f51.JPG

Thanks for sharing the pic of the actual coin, @augur. I agree the design looks more similar to the Proof than the PAMP image. However, it does seem like the font used for 2018 matches that of the PAMP image rather than the Proof?

I don't have any of those coins, sorry @westminstrel if I gave the wrong impression. These are all pictures of the web. The British sovereign image is from the Royal Mint bullion website, the India Sovereign from eBay. 

Yes, the Pamp sovereign has its own font with the I being reminiscent of the old original font of the sovereigns. 

24 minutes ago, augur said:

I don't have any of those coins, sorry @westminstrel if I gave the wrong impression. These are all pictures of the web. The British sovereign image is from the Royal Mint bullion website, the India Sovereign from eBay. 

Yes, the Pamp sovereign has its own font with the I being reminiscent of the old original font of the sovereigns. 

No worries :) 

I didn’t realie until now how much I prefer the older font. The new one looks sort of “stick-like”, if that makes sense.

24 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I didn’t realise until now how much I prefer the older font. The new one looks sort of “stick-like”, if that makes sense.

It seems they carried over the font from the legend since having to place it on the obverse (when the date had to make room for the original Pistrucci design in 2017). Until 2016 the old Roman style font was used. The newer style font seems to have been introduced on the 1887 Jubilee Sovereign obverse.

i agree the old Roman style font complements the G&D but with the skinny rider, the stick font found its match

1 hour ago, augur said:

It seems they carried over the font from the legend since having to place it on the obverse (when the date had to make room for the original Pistrucci design in 2017). Until 2016 the old Roman style font was used. The newer style font seems to have been introduced on the 1887 Jubilee Sovereign obverse.

I hadn’t analysed the coins enough to realize that. Always something new to learn about Sovereigns.

I would agree to some extent but having gone through a right rigmarole to get my hands on some there aren't too many of these coins west of Dubai.

I paid a premium to the dealer because I couldn't pay "cash", then there where FedEx charges - not cheap fully insured - then the dreaded Import VAT, although we quoted the correct codes.

I too spoke to UKBullion a few weeks ago and they were struggling to get them at last year's price due to tax changes and charges.

The 2013 India Sovereign was the "mass" produced one with 69,950 minted. Each year subsequent to this has seen the mintage reduce.

Apart from the 2013 and 2014 India Sovereign, try and buy the last 3 years!

How easy is it to but a UK Bullion Sovereign from 2015,16 and 17?

Here are a few pictures.

IMG_20181029_185002.jpg

IMG_20181029_185054.jpg

IMG_20181029_185538.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, zeusss4 said:

Anyone know the 2018 mintage? 

They’ve just started minting them and will do so for the most part of next year. I say this based on what they’ve done in the past. So it’s too early to know anything about the mintage of the 2018. 

Remember these aren’t Proof Sovereigns. Although retailers mark them up, they’re really Bullion Sovereigns and do not have the sort of “limited” mintage that Proofs do.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:53, Silvergun said:

The London Coin Company Ltd has the India Mint Pamp Full Sovereign in stock at £499.95

@Silvergun

Ouch!

The Coin Connection now has it in stock as well. They have it priced at GBP 379.95 (at the time of writing).

https://www.thecoinconnection.co.uk/product/2018-i-royal-mint-india-full-gold-sovereign-with-mint-mark-in-certi-card/

Marginally less eye-watering, but still a hefty premium.

NeutronJack

India Sovereign Mintage s.

I thought you might like these official numbers I got from a contact at The Royal Mint.

Sovereign

Half-sovereign

On the Silver Forum @westmintrel had kindly posted similar numbers except for the 2013i.  The reason was that 60,000 where minted in Certicard's and the balance sent to NGC for gifting to dignitaries at the launch in 2013i and labelled up by NGC as GEM UNCIRCULATED.

I understand that the number above is the correct one, not the 90k+ previously shown elsewhere and after talking with @westminstrel we came to the same conclusion about the 2013i and NGC's involvement.

I actually spoke to one of the production team at PAMP when the coins were first struck and he confirmed the initial figure of 50,000 to be put in Certicard's. About 2 months later that figure rose to 60,000 due to demand.

I'm told that 2018 could be the lowest mintage yet as interest is waining a little and it isn't as popular as it was in India.

I'm told the 2017 mintage numbers won't be available until next year.

I hope that helps anyone who is interested.

Here is my 2018i, I picked up from the official PAMP outlet in New Delhi two weeks ago while I was there on holiday.

They told me that they were surprised the PAMP India factory were even making them in 2018 as Modi the Indian PM has launched a home grown 8g Indian Gold Coin in direct competition to these Royal Mint Sovs and most people are buying the Indian version etc.. So I would not be surprised if we see an end of this Royal Mint PAMP India collaboration in the not to distant future. 

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Archived