• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Subscription arrangements for pound cost averaging

DrKarlMoneys

Dollar (or pound) cost averaging is an approach used by may to accumulate a stack while reducing the impact of shocks in the price. This makes sense but I don't know of any dealers that offer a subscription to facilitate this. E.g. setup a direct debit and get a certain number of ounces of a bullion type of your choice per month.

Why does no one do this?

My guess is due to fluctuations in price? So eg 1oz a month would be a totally price different every month, or if you picked a set amount it wouldn’t be possible to fill the order to the exact penny/cent.

I dont see why they couldn’t carry over any left over money to the next months account but probably too much hassle for a dealer to do when its not major effort just to go online and make an order each month. But i do see where your coming from and im sure there would be interest if a dealer was to facilitate this!

That would be true if you gave the dealer a specific budget each month but I was thinking more along the lines of a customer committing to buying e.g. 10x 1 ounce Britannias a month and they take whatever that comes to each month from a direct debit. Same principle as if you're on a variable rate gas and electric deal and use a consistent amount each month. It would though be a sensible precaution to have a cap on the total invoice amount to guard against price spikes and adjust the number of coins as necessary.

Could be a good idea for those stacking for a pension. Just thought of it after watching a Silver Future video where he talked about buying $100 of silver each week but sometimes forgets and puts in larger orders next time to compensate. You'd have to be fairly discipled to do it consistently over a long period of time.

I know we have reps from some dealers on the forums so I'd be interested to hear their thoughts on this.

Yes thats true regarding other bills that fluctuate. I do think it would be a good thing and is a good idea i am suprised myself that no one seems to do this as i know plenty of people - if not most stack on a monthly basis. Would be nice for PMs to just appear in the post each month!

i see some people here have done deals where they buy a certain amount of gold per month from a dealer. Let's say 5 sovereigns. If they are willing to make a regular purchase they may be able to get a slightly better price.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I think you have something here.  Many people put something away each month but I have not found a metals investment averaging service.

I had a service where my oil heating company supplied me with oil when they thought I was running low.  Guess what...they supplied me at the time the prices were highest.  I suspect the temptation for bullion dealers would be similar. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I can think of several potential reasons why a dealer wouldn't do this - what if the particular coin is not in stock for example?

DCA doesn't need to be exact to the penny. Just set aside a rought %age of your income each month. If anything, try to buy a slightly larger dollar amount if the price is lower than it was last month.. round up to the nearest oz.

Prices are not so volatile that there's no solution.

Also look into Dollar VALUE averaging.. where you purposely buy more if the market has fallen, according to your desired rate of return.

Archived