• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay is it worth it?

fiveshotdon

I just had my second eBay failure. A 1997 proof Britannia silver boxed with COA. This was described as in prestine condition. Photos looked ok but received today and the coins were in aweful condition, all brownish except the 1oz which Was the only coin I would say was in acceptable condition based on the photos and description. What are your experiences with inaccurate descriptions? Is it even worth buying off eBay?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it’s not as described just open a case and send it back.  Follow the eBay process and you’ll get a pre-paid postage label too.

I’ve bought lots from eBay and have sent back a couple that turned out to be fakes.  A couple of others that were not as described, the sellers offered partial refunds which I accepted that made them very good deals in the end.

I have no qualms buying from eBay as the protection offered to buyers is excellent.  I’m also a seasoned eBay seller so nothing about using it really phases me.

Just now, Goldhooked said:

If it’s not as described just open a case and send it back.  Follow the eBay process and you’ll get a pre-paid postage label too.

I’ve bought lots from eBay and have sent back a couple that turned out to be fakes.  A couple of others that were not as described, the sellers offered partial refunds which I accepted that made them very good deals in the end.

I have no qualms buying from eBay as the protection offered to buyers is excellent.  I’m also a seasoned eBay seller so nothing about using it really phases me.

In this case I raised a return and eBay just told me to send it back and I’ll get a refund. It didn’t offer me a return postage so I just sent it out of my pocket. Disappointed as i wanted the set but it’s in scrap condition. 

Just now, fiveshotdon said:

In this case I raised a return and eBay just told me to send it back and I’ll get a refund. It didn’t offer me a return postage so I just sent it out of my pocket. Disappointed as i wanted the set but it’s in scrap condition. 

Did you state the reason for return as ‘not as described’?  You should have contacted eBay.  If the reason for return is due to the seller being at fault then eBay will ALWAYS force the seller to pay for the return.  They give you a pre-paid label and then charge it to the sellers account.  If the buyer doesn’t voluntarily give you a pre-paid label you have to contact eBay to get one.

I've been looking at coins on ebay from a seller called Investicoin, he has good feed back but I've read some posts on those forum about ebay so I'm put off, that and the fact I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between fake and real silver just yet

1 minute ago, Goldhooked said:

Did you state the reason for return as ‘not as described’?  You should have contacted eBay.  If the reason for return is due to the seller being at fault then eBay will ALWAYS force the seller to pay for the return.  They give you a pre-paid label and then charge it to the sellers account.  If the buyer doesn’t voluntarily give you a pre-paid label you have to contact eBay to get one.

I selected not as described or different from photo I believe but it just gave me an address to send it to. Maybe if I waited the seller might have issued a label I’m not sure. I’ll be happy enough just to get my money back anyway and try to learn from this. I told myself not to be buying anymore high premium silver anyway so my own fault 😂

1 minute ago, ALCABIHA said:

I've been looking at coins on ebay from a seller called Investicoin, he has good feed back but I've read some posts on those forum about ebay so I'm put off, that and the fact I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between fake and real silver just yet

Get some neodymium magnets and watch some videos on YouTube  how to test silver, it’s pretty easy.

I’m thinking about not using eBay as a seller anymore,  I’ve had a few buyers try their luck recently, firstly someone purchased my item then 10 mins later cancelled and wanted a refund saying they just meant to watch the item! Just had someone open a case saying they have not received the item after about 25 days only to look on the Royal Mail website that shows they have just collected and signed for it  that morning from their post office, he is now saying he didn’t sign for it and it was a fake signature and wants a full refund! This is still on going and I don’t want to be £35 out of pocket! 

10 minutes ago, Micky9776 said:

I’m thinking about not using eBay as a seller anymore,  I’ve had a few buyers try their luck recently, firstly someone purchased my item then 10 mins later cancelled and wanted a refund saying they just meant to watch the item! Just had someone open a case saying they have not received the item after about 25 days only to look on the Royal Mail website that shows they have just collected and signed for it  that morning from their post office, he is now saying he didn’t sign for it and it was a fake signature and wants a full refund! This is still on going and I don’t want to be £35 out of pocket! 

Very annoying when this happens. I normally only sell on ebay now if its cash on collection.

I only use forums now. Its amazing how much more honest the people on forums are when buying and selling.

11 minutes ago, Micky9776 said:

I had that happen once with an expensive pc I sold. He signed for it with a squiggle and I think he hoped I’d thrown the tracking receipt away and he just raised a PayPal dispute later. I provided tracking proof of receipt and that was the last I heard from him.

I think this is exactly why those who plan to sell their collections on ebay when the time comes may wish to reconsider. to be fair most buyers are fine - but it does not take many bad buyers to completely change what price per ounce you will get - its basically a scammers paradise and no matter what you do or how you send an item if a scammer wants a refund they will get it.

Bullion is probably a highly targeted scamming category as it can be cashed easily, same with mobile phones and smart tech.

5 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I think this is exactly why those who plan to sell their collections on ebay when the time comes may wish to reconsider. to be fair most buyers are fine - but it does not take many bad buyers to completely change what price per ounce you will get - its basically a scammers paradise and no matter what you do or how you send an item if a scammer wants a refund they will get it.

scammers, scum of the Earth...

Not sold anything on eBay (just buyer) but when meet up with @Gordon sells sovereigns eBay told me about all the scams and disputes go on. People make large purchase and then after taking delivery report that their PayPal account was hacked and dispute transaction.

I too have experienced problems with Britannia proof sets especially the 1997 4 coins set.
The smaller coins are prone to very bad toning and I am guessing this is due to chemical contamination from the inner black ring inside the capsules.
I've rejected 2 sets bought on eBay as in very poor condition and not as described.
In both instances I had to use the resolution process.
The first time eBay instructed me to return to the seller and I would receive a full refund - which I did eventually.
However it cost me about £10 Special Delivery to return and when I asked eBay how I would be refunded they told me the seller should have forwarded postage - not a chance !
I had an offer from PayPal to claim return postage for returned items and did get my return postage reimbursed.
So the lesson learned is that if you are returning an item not as described and return postage is fairly expensive, don't ship until your shipping costs are covered.

1 hour ago, Micky9776 said:

Add the tracking number to the order.  You will win any eBay dispute.

51 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Not sold anything on eBay (just buyer) but when meet up with @Gordon sells sovereigns eBay told me about all the scams and disputes go on. People make large purchase and then after taking delivery report that their PayPal account was hacked and dispute transaction.

As long as you send by a tracked service that proves delivery to the address given on the order, you will win any dispute.

In my experience the majority of sellers are honest but there are a few people who are either unknowingly or otherwise ripping off innocent buyers/sellers and we all need to be aware of the pit falls of dealing through this method and we just need to be aware and these things need to keep getting flagged up and where ever possible at the very minimum go for signed or tracked postage.

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

As long as you send by a tracked service that proves delivery to the address given on the order, you will win any dispute.

You will win a "item not received" dispute, however - all said scammer has to say is "item fake" or item not in package it was a brick or whatever they will ultimately win case. 

There is also the switcheroo scammer gets good real item, sends back fake - again full refund, and if they mark "not as described" you have to pay for the privilege of returning the now fake item.

You can try action fraud or whatever but if a scammer wants your item for free they can and will get it.

6 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

You will win a "item not received" dispute, however - all said scammer has to say is "item fake" or item not in package it was a brick or whatever they will ultimately win case. 

There is also the switcheroo scammer gets good real item, sends back fake - again full refund.

You can try action fraud or whatever but if a scammer wants your item for free they can and will get it.

This is where you photograph or video yourself packing the item and sending the item off....depending if the PO allows it.

3 minutes ago, matrawr said:

This is where you photograph or video yourself packing the item and sending the item off....depending if the PO allows it.

Does not matter, wont hold up i dont think..you could have packed it then opened and repacked it of video. 

If you pack the whole item and film the packing in the post office and the posting then maybe it might hold up, but filming wont be easy and it would be a massive headache to do with every item. 

And even then - scammer can still dispute it - it could have been tampered with at the royal mail, you are liable and have to try and claim of the royal mail.

8 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Does not matter, wont hold up i dont think..you could have packed it then opened and repacked it of video. 

If you pack the whole item and film the packing in the post office and the posting then maybe it might hold up, but filming wont be easy and it would be a massive headache to do with every item. 

Like I said if the post office allow you to record sending it off. Failing that there's always the police?

1 minute ago, matrawr said:

Like I said if the post office allow you to record sending it off. Failing that there's always the police?

Oh yeah you can always tell actionfraud, but in the meantime your paypal/bank will be hit and realistically its unlikely anything will be done.. The simple fact is selling on ebay carries a fairly significant risk. Im sure many sell hundreds of items and never get a problem, but when liquidating a stack on ebay its something that needs to be taken into account. 

I guess everyone has to decide if its worth the risk for what is the best prices you can sell for usually. for me i will just sell direct to a bullion merchant and have cash in my hand the same day with no risks. 

4 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Oh yeah you can always tell actionfraud, but in the meantime your paypal/bank will be hit and realistically its unlikely anything will be done.. The simple fact is selling on ebay carries a fairly significant risk. Im sure many sell hundreds of items and never get a problem, but when liquidating a stack on ebay its something that needs to be taken into account. 

I guess everyone has to decide if its worth the risk for what is the best prices you can sell for usually. for me i will just sell direct to a bullion merchant and have cash in my hand the same day with no risks. 

I've only ever sold one item on ebay and had no problem so my experience of selling on there is limited but if you intend on making a living or making additional income through ebay you try to take whatever precautions you can to protect yourself against the fraudsters. 👍

3 minutes ago, matrawr said:

I've only ever sold one item on ebay and had no problem so my experience of selling on there is limited but if you intend on making a living or making additional income through ebay you try to take whatever precautions you can to protect yourself against the fraudsters. 👍

This is true, ebay is a great place to buy because as a buyer you are always protected, its a good place to sell but has its risks.

1 minute ago, matrawr said:

I’ve sold thousands of items through eBay, never been scammed, but Royal Mail have lost a few.

If you’re selling PM’s online and delivering through the post, the biggest risk by far is the delivery company, not the customer.

Archived