• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie buying fractional gold....

greektony

I have been lurking on the board for a long time now having bought my first silver back in 2014. Since then I have been on a hiatus and decided that I am now comfortable in getting into the metals game a little more seriously. 

I have 25oz of silver Krugerrands on order from silvertogo and am looking at buying a 1/10 oz or 1/4 oz gold Britannia. Going forward I will be looking at trying to achieve this every month (25oz silver, 1/10 or 1/4 oz gold). 

My question is maybe slightly stupid, but is the Royal Mint as good a place as anywhere in the UK to buy fractional gold? From looking over the last week it appears to be the only place online to consistently have the smaller fractions in stock - I suppose for obvious reasons :)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

put out a "buy" request on the sales section. You are most likely going to get them cheaper here. And I would say aim for a mix of 1/10 Brits and  1/2 Sovs if you want to stack small numbers - in my experience Sovs tend to be more liquid, Britannia's retain some of their premium.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

34 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

Most of the big sellers have fractional gold .. should be easy to find at a good price.

Not many big sellers here in the UK. No local coin shops either, pawn brokers in my experience want around 30% + for a half sovereign.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I prefer 1/4oz coins and sovereigns. 1/10 are ok and 1/20 are very small, I only have picked those up slabbed.

gs.be is the cheapest if you buy enough to make postage worthwhile. You can also get them to hold onto your silver and post your orders out together at a later date.

If I was to pick a single fractional gold coin to stack it would be a sovereign. Close to spot, extremely liquid, recognised all over the world and doesn’t break the bank.

I personally prefer the 1/4oz Britannia. I like the design and I prefer the look of pure gold but if you need to sell I think sovereigns are easier to move.

I've never seen a britannia of any size or a sovereign in the flesh before but at least for now I prefer the idea of collecting and seeing pure gold. And i am a bit OCD so sovereigns would throw off my oz calculations....... I now just need to pull the trigger and stop procrastinating! 

I was in a similar position to you. Just getting into stacking, only gold at the moment but i wasn't sure to what to stack, 1oz coins 1/2 oz coins, 1/4 oz coins.

Quite a few forum members suggest i take a look at sovereigns which is something i hadn't considered but after doing a bit of research and listening to other members on here I'm now stacking sovs. Thanks guys :P

The reason why i chose these over the 1 oz brits or the 1/4 oz brits -

- you can pick them up with low premiums compared to 1/4 oz brits. Forum members suggested Hatton Garden Metals which do seem pretty good value.

- can sell them further down the line for spot or close to spot.

- recognised around the world (which i hadn't realised). If you look at US, Australian, Canadian, European gold websites they nearly all have Sovs for sale. Most don't have 1/4 oz brits. Again this suggests to me that selling all or part of your stack of sovs in the future should be pretty easy.

- some cool old/rare numismatic sovs to collect :) 

On 01/10/2018 at 23:48, greektony said:

I have been lurking on the board for a long time now having bought my first silver back in 2014. Since then I have been on a hiatus and decided that I am now comfortable in getting into the metals game a little more seriously. 

I have 25oz of silver Krugerrands on order from silvertogo and am looking at buying a 1/10 oz or 1/4 oz gold Britannia. Going forward I will be looking at trying to achieve this every month (25oz silver, 1/10 or 1/4 oz gold). 

My question is maybe slightly stupid, but is the Royal Mint as good a place as anywhere in the UK to buy fractional gold? From looking over the last week it appears to be the only place online to consistently have the smaller fractions in stock - I suppose for obvious reasons :)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you are getting bullion and don't mind it not being the current year/brand new then I would recommend https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/ 

The service from Atkinsons has been great so far but their premiums are a little high and they charge a delivery fee for every item not the overall order.  This is fine for one item but not for several fractional coins.  Hatton garden is a flat rate.

1 hour ago, RichmondStacker said:

If you are getting bullion and don't mind it not being the current year/brand new then I would recommend https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/ 

The service from Atkinsons has been great so far but their premiums are a little high and they charge a delivery fee for every item not the overall order.  This is fine for one item but not for several fractional coins.  Hatton garden is a flat rate.

I thought insured delivery was always free at Atkinsons? You only have to pay if you want express delivery and the value of the order is under £180. If its over £180 express delivery is free too.

7 minutes ago, investorman said:

I thought insured delivery was always free at Atkinsons? You only have to pay if you want express delivery and the value of the order is under £180. If its over £180 express delivery is free too.

Delivery is not "free" it is built into the price, so if you buy multiple items, you are paying multiple shipping charges.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:40, greektony said:

never seen a britannia of any size or a sovereign in the flesh before

I suggest you go to your local jeweller or pawn shop and have a look at a sovereign just so you don't get a shock.  The first time I saw one I went right past it thinking something that small could not be that expensive.  A 1 ounce silver coin just seemed so much bigger and better.  But be warned if you are sticking away 25 ounces a month it will soon grow to such an extent that you will wish you had put more into those small gold coins. 

Archived