• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Swapping Silver for Gold?

Tingles

Has anyone swapped part or all of their stack?

Im looking to move from Silver to Gold over the next year - just wondered if it’s more economic for me to swap rather than sell and buy Gold?

Id really only consider dealing with a respected and reputable dealer.

Thoughts?

Depending on what you have in silver i would have thought you would have got better prices on the forum rather than selling to a dealer.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Suspect if you go to a dealer for a swap you'll lose on both sides of the deal, bit like trading your car in.  I'd like to move some silver to gold but I think I'll hang on a bit.  As mentioned above, you'd get a better price for silver on the Forum than going to a dealer.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

With the gold silver ratio almost touching a 5 year high you must be kind of desperate to swap out of silver.

Like I said... over the next year.  No rush.

13 minutes ago, MickD said:

Suspect if you go to a dealer for a swap you'll lose on both sides of the deal, bit like trading your car in.  I'd like to move some silver to gold but I think I'll hang on a bit.  As mentioned above, you'd get a better price for silver on the Forum than going to a dealer.

Perhaps I was hoping they'd just take one lot of profit.  Thanks

Large dealer would probably swap for a small fee, depending on what the markets were doing.  I'd just approach a dealer and tell them what you want to do, see if they are interested, and if not see what they would charge to do it anyway.  Large PM dealers are essentially market makers and maintain a spread, so they're naturally going to want the difference between their buy and sell prices, but you might be able to talk them out of some of that.

22 hours ago, MickD said:

Agreed....

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 29/09/2018 at 16:31, MickD said:

when the gsr goes down to make silver more expensive versus

gold, which forum member is going to take the other side of

that trade?

HH

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was googling "swap silver for gold" and this thread came up. I would like to find out about swapping some silver for gold. Do people do this? Is a straight swap based on gsr possible?

22 minutes ago, RewV said:

Do people do this? Is a straight swap based on gsr possible?

Hi @RewV, welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, some people definitely swap silver for gold - I've traded approx. 1000oz of silver for gold, over the last number of months. I've also traded the other way, when the deal was right! On every occasion, it was a direct trade, right here on the Silver Forum.

I don't believe any of the trades were for the exact GSR, as that is calculated on spot price, and while I have been able to pick up the odd spot-price gold, this rarely happens with silver. The trades have been closer to the ratio of forum retail price (spot + premium).

Hi Darr3nG, thanks for getting back. I don't have any gold and found it easier/cheaper to save silver (coins mainly and some bars). I thought I should trade/swap some of it for gold now. Have you done it through the Buy/Sell section on this forum? The other thing I wasn't sure about was what constitutes graded and ungraded as I noticed there were two sections. All my coins are bought from dealers and are minted coins stored in individual capsules. I'm guessing it's to do with condition?

19 minutes ago, RewV said:

Have you done it through the Buy/Sell section on this forum? The other thing I wasn't sure about was what constitutes graded and ungraded as I noticed there were two sections.

Yes, all trades were listed and completed in the Buy/Sell section - there is a new post option, specifically for trades.

Graded refers to coins which have been assessed by a 3rd party (NGC, PCGS, etc.) for condition / perfection, recorded, scored and sealed in a tamper-proof plastic container (slab). Loose coins, even those in capsules will most likely be ungraded. Have a look at a few posts in both sections, you'll easily see the difference.

Archived