• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver is for collecting, Golds for stacking!

ChrisF

So I just recently had an epiphany, for no apparent reason.  I have come to the conclusion silver is for collecting and gold is for stacking.  I have about 150 oz of silver bullion Britannia's that I have stacked over the last year and a half as well as my what i call my silver collection of various series of silver coins in varying weights from 1 oz to 10 oz.  I love silver, its the best looking metal in my eyes. I also started getting gold sovereigns this last year and it made me think.  

So the reasons Im now wary of silver.  

1, Silver is up and down like a whores draws, very volatile.  

2, When its low everyone is buying but when its high, i.e when you would want to sell everyone is waiting for the lows.

3, Large premiums compared to gold.

4, Flogging large amounts and not losing money is hard unless you brought your silver over 10 years ago.

I've come to the conclusion purchasing gold sovereigns is a better strategy going forward and keep the nice shiny silver for looking pretty with the various series that come out.  Gold seems to be less volatile, sovereigns have excellent premium vs spot and are easily liquidated in any coin shop without losing much at all.  Please note that I don't stack to flip or plan on selling my metals for many, many years to come.

Am I wrong?  If so why?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silver is a long hold game. At some point - this year, next year, five years, 10 years, the price will reset. i have boxes and boxes and boxes of silver, 100's of kilos of the stuff. i don't worry. i just keep stacking.....and stacking.....and then stack some more. If you think you might need to sell within the next few years then put that fiat into gold.

The only way in the short term to make money from silver is to get lucky - buy from Ash or others on the forum and sell elsewhere or potentially get involved in Kinesis when it comes online.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

25 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Have you seen Shadow Stack YouTube videos? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_QOHEjp_uwmehxA7_YpV-A/videos

British silver stacker consistently makes money stacking silver. His full stack video (2 years old now) what got me interested in physical PM

Yeah, even he is stacking more gold now.  Granted he has a substantial stack of silver already

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

So I just recently had an epiphany, for no apparent reason.  I have come to the conclusion silver is for collecting and gold is for stacking.  I have about 150 oz of silver bullion Britannia's that I have stacked over the last year and a half as well as my what i call my silver collection of various series of silver coins in varying weights from 1 oz to 10 oz.  I love silver, its the best looking metal in my eyes. I also started getting gold sovereigns this last year and it made me think.  

So the reasons Im now wary of silver.  

2, When its low everyone is buying but when its high, i.e when you would want to sell everyone is waiting for the lows.

Am I wrong?  If so why?

I think you have number 2 wrong.

People panic buy items that are rising steeply in price - fear of missing out inflates the bubble further - there was no shortage of buyers at the highs in 2011. The opposite in fact, there was quite the mania.

Gold will fluctuate so check the charts.
Don't overlook silver thought because some would say it is underpriced when compared to gold.

The gold/ silver ratio is breaking highs so there could be considerably more upside on silver.

What about Platinum ?
Pt used to cost more than gold but looks good value right now if you can buy without the 20% VAT which is a deal breaker.

3 hours ago, sixgun said:

i have boxes and boxes and boxes of silver, 100's of kilos of the stuff. i don't worry. i just keep stacking.....and stacking.....and then stack some more. If you think you might need to sell within the next few years then put that fiat into gold.

Is that a hyperbole  ?
They say a serious stacker has to have his / her body weight in silver.
Wonder how many forum users can claim this badge ?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Is that a hyperbole  ?

Yes they do say if your stack is your body weight you've reached target - it reached target but my brakes didn't work and i overshot the runway a bit.....well quite a bit.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Is that a hyperbole  ?

I would prefer to have my bodyweight in gold. literally, without the hyperbole.😉

17 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Yes they do say if your stack is your body weight you've reached target - it reached target but my brakes didn't work and i overshot the runway a bit.....well quite a bit.

Congrats ... you qualify for the stacker badge of honour.

Just watched the video from fullstack - another badge earner, maybe with a star privy !
In a virtual scenario how does a stacker with say 200 kilos of one ounce coins store them ?
I have a friend overseas who has a tall gun safe that would handle the volume but his safe is 5 feet tall and needs a forklift to move it.

Well i have quite a few bars, i have shown a few on the forum and a few from the mint monster boxes. These are very compact. The bulk comes when stuff is in presentation boxes and cases.

Silver is cheap now in terms of spot but it’s difficult and time consuming. I am collecting in a limited way Silver Bullion Queen’s Beasts and occasionally others as they come up. My worries are:

1.  Modern Numismatic Silver is way to plentiful and subject to fashion.

2.   Bullion silver is still expensive in relative terms due  to the exchange rate with the US dollar.

3.  Silver is highly prone to tarnishing toning and spotting and most problem Silver  conditions cannot be conserved.

4.  Margins on silver are generally higher than gold  and silvers volatility can make it more difficult to gauge and sell at the top of the rising market.

5.  Silver’s low price per transaction generally makes trading costs higher and postage costs significantly higher relative to the cost of the item.

7 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Silver is cheap now in terms of spot but it’s difficult and time consuming. I am collecting in a limited way Silver Bullion Queen’s Beasts and occasionally others as they come up. My worries are:

2.   Bullion silver is still expensive in relative terms due  to the exchange rate with the US dollar.

3.  Silver is highly prone to tarnishing toning and spotting and most problem Silver  conditions cannot be conserved.

4.  Margins on silver are generally higher than gold  and silvers volatility can make it more difficult to gauge and sell at the top of the rising market.

5.  Silver’s low price per transaction generally makes trading costs higher and postage costs significantly higher relative to the cost of the item.

Platinum is the answer!

5 hours ago, Reichpapers said:

Stack just doesn't sound right in relation to gold.  You can have a big stack of silver, but gold, you may have 3-4 coins.  That sounds more like a small pile.

3 coins make a stack... with room for improvement :)

imo pm stacking is about holding onto purchasing power.

accumulate as much value as possible in as little space as

possible. space cost resources. making something equally

as effective in a smaller space is adding value.

I can imagine storing lots of silver is more problematic than

people make it out to be. this needs to be done for a long time

before the silver can be sold on for a profit. the equivalence in

gold is easier to store, doesn't corrode and turns a profit more

quickly. this makes it a better choice for stacking. gold is

more forgiving if you forget to sell at the peaks and want to

sell at another random time.

HH

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Gold will fluctuate so check the charts.
Don't overlook silver thought because some would say it is underpriced when compared to gold.

The gold/ silver ratio is breaking highs so there could be considerably more upside on silver.

What about Platinum ?
Pt used to cost more than gold but looks good value right now if you can buy without the 20% VAT which is a deal breaker.

Didnt something to do with catalytic converters screw over Platinum as a viable choice?  I know it has tanked recently.  

Added 0 minutes later...
19 hours ago, Pete said:

Is that a hyperbole  ?

Sucks if you are a fatty.

19 hours ago, sixgun said:

Well i have quite a few bars, i have shown a few on the forum and a few from the mint monster boxes. These are very compact. The bulk comes when stuff is in presentation boxes and cases.

Very true sir, I thought Id bought and adequate safe then when i started putting stuff in boxes the space sharp ran out.  I'm going to have to start keeping my collections outside the safe which to be fair is where they should be.  No point having a collection locked up where you cant see it.  Luckly my house insurance covers coins. 

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Very true sir, I thought Id bought and adequate safe then when i started putting stuff in boxes the space sharp ran out.  I'm going to have to start keeping my collections outside the safe which to be fair is where they should be.  No point having a collection locked up where you cant see it.  Luckly my house insurance covers coins. 

If you have a suitable access building which is suitable temperature and humidity you can get some decent safes - 1 tonne safes on ebay. 

16 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Totally agree here.  I was collecting the QB proofs and looked at what they are doing.  Its not great.  I traded them for a sov and some silver bullion.  It was an OK deal but on a more positive note I thought to myself and least I saved the money on buying the other 6 proofs.  I would rather put that into bullion if anything.  Im now sticking to stacking for weight.  I dont have the finances to buy shed loads of bullion to make a profit selling it on for a quid of two if your lucky and I dont trust the premiums on proofs.  I want something I can ditch with ease when i retire in 20 - 30 years and need some cash.  I collect bullion coins rather than proofs now and am content with that. 

2 minutes ago, sixgun said:

If you have a suitable access building which is suitable temperature and humidity you can get some decent safes - 1 tonne safes on ebay. 

My safe is in my house, think the missus would not be happy with that, I wouldnt mind 😁

Archived