• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

numismatics

craig12

im teetering on wether to go gold numismatics on , but can anyone tell me please is there anywhere , such thing as a list of coins that are indeed gold numismatics , I have a german  20 mark gold coin , and a restrike 1 Austrian ducat , are they classed as numismatics , cant seem to find much info on what coins are numismatics ,regards

Not sure about a list or book (maybe someone on heat will reply soon), but our good friend on Silver Forum and YouTube Numistacker has 900 videos on YouTube. Search for Numistacker and his newest video discusses gold Guineas and newer key date Proof Sovereigns. I think it’s a good place to start investing and I consider both to be numismatics as they are both rare and collectible.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

A numismatic coin is where the bulk of the value is in the rarity and collectability rather than in it's precious metal content.

I would say the Austrian 1 Ducat Restrike is a bullion coin because they cost a little over spot price.

Maybe an original one would be a numismatic?

Not sure about the 20 Mark coin...would depend on condition, rarity, collectability.

Unfortunately it is not an exact science as it revolves around the fickleness of humans!!!

Going for numismatics means that you really need to do your homework. You may struggle to find an overview for all coins, but if you pick a particular country or type of coin there are resources available. Buying a couple of good books will likely save you a lot of money and potential pain in the long run.

Although, frankly I tend to feel a bit like the confused chap in this clip when dealing with numismatics:

Archived