• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Age of a stacker

Kieran95

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

55 years myself and been collecting numismatic coins for three youngsters aged 1, 4 and 5.  Been collecting Perth Mint animal themed proof coins and Isle of Man Proof Cats since the 5 year old was born.  I think it is now time for them to invest seriously and do some stacking!  Will continue to add to their Perth Mint animal releases, but would like them to start stacking some silver and gold bullion.  Suggestions that would appeal to 4 and 5 year olds would be appreciated!!

I am 43 and have been buying on and off for ten years. 

One does not tend to find many ladies who enjoy this hobby.  My wife is very happy to invest in stock, property, art etc but has no interested in metals!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

11 hours ago, kimchi said:

Yes I started with stamps too (a short lived hobby in my teens). Then various relatives started to give me their old coin collections, some of which go back to the 19th century (which I still have - would love it if someone knowledgeable could look through the lot for me and pick out any gems).

Oh that’s so cool. I used to collect in school, and still do, on and off. I have an interest in British colonial history, especially Colonial India, but I think valuing stamps is rather complicated, and I collect for fun and for the history behind the stamps 😃

8 hours ago, Kieran95 said:

I did stamps for a bit in school a question for you two, are these the red penny's that are worth a little something? 

15356492795231592968247.jpg

I’ll be honest - I have no idea about the value of stamps though I am aware of the most famous, rare, and expensive ones. As @kimchi said though, there are quite a few factors that go into determining if such stamps (if one even has them) are actually rare or valuable. 

As I said in a prior post here, I have an interest in Colonial British and especially British Indian history, so I collect for the enjoyment of learning about the era and the life of those times. Maybe try stampboards.com or some other forum with high membership to see if someone knowledgeable can help you at least get a rough idea of your stamps’ value 🙂

Mid-forty, started almost 10 months ago. Looking for diversification of preservation of wealth...and to add with property, several retirement plans (pensions/TSP/401K/IRA), and kids education benefits covered by converting my military education benefits over to them! All adds up over the years, so best advice is to start early and take advantage of as many retirement options as made avail.

Started five years ago, now 45.

I was on a first aid course a couple of years ago and people were asking about investments. I mentioned buying coins and a 22 year old woman said; ' Ooh, my dad collects coins as he doesn't get out much these days'. 

I immediately felt much older after she said that:(

Mid thirties. Started a year ago. Was in a long meeting with just me and my boss. It ended with him touching on the economy and businesses folding, and he said "now is a great time to be buying silver". I looked into it from there as he's not short of a few bob

Don't want to reveal my age. 🙃

I am collecting (second year now) gilded and lunar series, silver late roman and byzantine and the infamous 1967 collection (hint, hint!).

Instagram: gildeon_67

2 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

In my early 30's now. Been stacking for a couple of years. 

Is it just me or does everyone's body start to fail after 30? I mean I dont recall going for a particularly strenuous atlas stone lifting session yesterday, yet somehow today my body thinks I did?...

I'm with you on that one (mid thirties btw) I'm suddenly becoming painfully aware that I'm not so young as I used to be and that I won;t live forever... possibly what got me thinking about long term plans in the first place?

1 hour ago, StackerNoob said:

Is it just me or does everyone's body start to fail after 30? I mean I dont recall going for a particularly strenuous atlas stone lifting session yesterday, yet somehow today my body thinks I did?...

I don't think it's age, almost everyone I know of any adult age has had weird (or indeed very serious) health problems the last couple of years, and it ramped up again in the last few weeks. All sorts of factors involved I think.

1 hour ago, StackerNoob said:

I used to be able to eat a full dinner then lay down and go to sleep

Now I have to give it a good hour+ after eating to lay down or I get heart burn :(

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Now I have to give it a good hour+ after eating to lay down or I get heart burn :(

Accumulated damage to your body, lifestyle changes can correct this. None of us can go on forever poisoning ourselves etc, it all catches up, that is where age does come into it. What I've noticed though in the last couple of years is that it's affecting folk younger and younger, so the more toxic environment needs more cleansing/healing and a proactive rather than reactive approach, for everyone. That's a huge topic in itself.

12 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

I am 36 only been buying gold for about 1 year. Dont see many woman stacking pms think its definitely more a male thing, my wife just wants to buy stuff that goes down in value not up 😢  

Women have enough PMS as it is in my experience 😛

7 hours ago, Kman said:

N.b. I'm not a doctor. But...

Heartburn is often attributed to high stomach acid and people pop antacids and prescription drugs like omeprazole (the devils drug) to block acid production. From my experience/research, problems like heartburn can actually be caused by low stomach acid. The lower sphincter in your stomach is triggered by high acid levels. If your acid levels are too low, the food sits churning in your stomach and tries to escape out the top end.

Think about it, we know that stomach acid production decreases as you get older, who gets most heartburn? Its not kids. It just doesn't fit that high stomach acid causes heartburn as is often peddled on adverts and by drug companies. 

Barring any serious health conditions (or a hiatal hernia), try some hcl/enzyme supplements with your food, or some probiotics. They helped me.

2 hours ago, Bullionaire said:

N.b. I'm not a doctor. But...

Heartburn is often attributed to high stomach acid and people pop antacids and prescription drugs like omeprazole (the devils drug) to block acid production. From my experience/research, problems like heartburn can actually be caused by low stomach acid. The lower sphincter in your stomach is triggered by high acid levels. If your acid levels are too low, the food sits churning in your stomach and tries to escape out the top end.

Think about it, we know that stomach acid production decreases as you get older, who gets most heartburn? Its not kids. It just doesn't fit that high stomach acid causes heartburn as is often peddled on adverts and by drug companies. 

Barring any serious health conditions (or a hiatal hernia), try some hcl/enzyme supplements with your food, or some probiotics. They helped me.

I went through a phase that lasted about 6 weeks of really bad acid reflux and heartburn.  Tried the usual fixes with no luck then tried organic cider vinegar (tablesoon in glass of water) fixed it within a few days as its supposed to fix the low stomache acid problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braggs-Organic-Apple-Cider-Vinegar/dp/B0764J4QLX

Got my first 1 Troy ounce gold China Panda at age 29 and have been building up since then. Did NOT continue on with the gold China Panda when they switched to metric (30 grams) in 2016 onwards.

Archived