• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone managed to make a substantial profit on any coin they have purchased?

RoughDog

I am wondering whether anyone has made a substantial profit on any coin they have purchased by numismatic interest alone?

What I mean is excluding metal spot price increases or converting a bullion coin into a graded bullion coin.

Someone that has purchases a non graded coin and sold it as a non graded coin,

or purchased a graded coin and sold it as a graded coin.

Example would be someone purchased a 1/10 lunar gold coin at £100 and sold it at £200.

The price of the current 1/10 lunar has risen say from £100 (many years ago at dealer) to £120 (current year at dealer).

Making a numismatic profit of £80.

I ask because I am very sceptical with this whole numismatic value and want some feedback from more experienced or long term stackers/collectors.

Years ago I purchased some half crowns of EBay, i thought they had been dipped. Paid £16 and to my shock , horror two bidders battled it out and finally the coins sold for £110, I was clueless as I did not know anything about half crowns at the time, If I like a coin I buy It. Bought the First Peter Rabbit silver proof coin in 2016 because I liked It, sold the full set of coins later that year for £700, paid £250 for all 5 silver proof coins. I Love Coins Me !!!!

It’s not easy to make a profit on anything but I know people here who have spent £250 plus £25 grading and sold next day for £800 so it happens. Lots of people also lose money...

More recent coins that come to mind

2014 proof Britannia

The first proof Peter Rabbit coins

2017 proof sovereign, plain edge and indian 

I've tried to start threads to document this stuff better but people didn't really contribute to the 2017 one :(

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Only because of the Brexit effect on the pound... Made a couple of hundred on some 8g gold 2016 pandas but otherwise no. Haven't delved into true numismatics only bullion, which for me is generally for the long haul and a hedge.

Over the years I have bought lots of world coins, including many sixpences, for about £10-20 each, either as minor varieties or just to fill gaps in date runs. As soon as I have upgraded my example I can usually sell for about £25-40 each. When upgrading I at least try and break even (certainly for the more expensive coins  at £100-£1000 each) although I have lost out a few times - usually in areas I am less familar with so that is really my fault!

My focus is now high grade coins (usually slabbed) so I do not have to worry about this very much now as they should go up in price nicely over the next 20 years or so😀 Unfortunately I still can't bring myself to buy individual coins purely as an 'investor' rather than a 'collector' as gaps in sets still annoy me!

I have never submitted any coins in my collection for grading/stabbing, but I have bought some of them already slabbed. I have sold a few of my raw bullion gold coins for more than 4x what I got them for. Some in my collection, I have (bought raw/still raw) would now sell for almost 10x due to added numismatic appreciation.

I got some Britannia's from a pawnshop for £16 when I first started. I sold a few on ebay and got between £24 and £38 each for them. They're really the only ones I made any real profit on. There was also an Illuminati round that I got a bit for but I now wish that I kept it. 

Best profit I've ever had is on 2017 1/10oz BU libertad which got NGC 70 in Early Release label. It is such a rare coin and very hard to grade 70. 800% in profit on that one in a couple of months. I still miss it from time to time. Unfortunately most my other purchase tend to lose money in short run so I decided not to think about it.

Archived