• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Air tight capsules, are they worth it?

So I am fairly new to the precious metals world and have already invested in some silver, planning to do gold in the future. I'm buying mainly because I would like to have a type of emergency fund where I can dip into in case of a job loss or the economy has gone haywire. But if everything goes fine, then it would probably go towards my retirement fund. Now I'm fine with where they are stored at as far as location goes, what I'm concerned about is if I am storing metals for long periods of time, then should I get some capsules to keep them in and perserve?

49 minutes ago, KotaNagant said:

So I am fairly new to the precious metals world and have already invested in some silver, planning to do gold in the future. I'm buying mainly because I would like to have a type of emergency fund where I can dip into in case of a job loss or the economy has gone haywire. But if everything goes fine, then it would probably go towards my retirement fund. Now I'm fine with where they are stored at as far as location goes, what I'm concerned about is if I am storing metals for long periods of time, then should I get some capsules to keep them in and perserve?

Oh yes - the more expensive the better! (only joking - but I've got a thing for screw capsules) ?

7 minutes ago, kneehow2018 said:
8 minutes ago, kneehow2018 said:

Oh yes - the more expensive the better! (only joking - but I've got a thing for screw capsules) ?

HA HA HA! - So what sort of "THING" is it that you need for screw capsules! LOL

Seriously though - I always use them  as it allows handling coins without any chance of damaging . I might be wrong but as far as I know you will NOT find a proof coin being sold to you without a capsule.

Depends entirely on the coin.
For cheap bullion like Maples etc I tend to use coin tubes storing up to 25 in a polythene tube making storage easy.
If the coins are prettier and look attractive then best to find the correct sized clear acrylic capsule.
The industry standard and one of the best is the USA 'Air-Tite' and there are much cheaper alternatives available.
I just ordered 3 boxes of Leuchturm premium rimless caps from GS.be.
These look pretty good and are individually wrapped to prevent scratching.
Leuchturm ( or Lighthouse ) caps traditionally have rims and although easy to open don't look as nice.
I have also purchased bags of 'Airtight' caps from eBay in the USA, as very cheap, but they are not the same quality as 'Air-Tite' but suffice protecting the cheaper coins.

I have some barcapsules from airtite

I can send you one for free, just to test if they fit

Just send me a pm with your address and I can post it early next week

I am in Hungary now, but will travel home on monday

1 hour ago, VonHaida said:

Any cheap source for 1oz Perth Dragon bars capsules ??

Courtesy of the 'European Mint' Maybe SF doing a multi-buy soon?

Rectangular Coin Capsule for 1 oz Perth Mint silver bar (one capsule)

€0.99
  • Buy 20 for €0.95 each and save 5%
  • Buy 100 for €0.89 each and save 11%
  • Buy 500 for €0.85 each and save 15%
  • Buy 1000 for €0.79 each and save 21%

Size: 27 x 47 mm (internal)
Size: 34 x 54 mm (external)

Availability: In stock (Only 752 left)

Qty:

Details

Made of durable, scratch resistant acrylic. Secure locking, yet easy to open. Suitable for 1 oz Dragon and all Perth Mint 1 oz bars.
My Cart

You have no items in your shopping cart.

1 hour ago, VonHaida said:

Any cheap source for 1oz Perth Dragon bars capsules ??

https://goldsilver.be/en/capsules/1726-rectangular-capsule-47x27mm-for-1-oz-dragon-bar-perth-mint-original.html

€1.27 each Perth Mint originals - not substitutes.

Just received some this week and they are perfect and high quality, very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Pete says, it depends on the coin.  Stuff for my collection and stuff that I want to look at in air tites.  The rest in tubes.  I personally don't like to keep many coins in flips.

2 hours ago, NRSovereign said:

Where can I get legit direct fit air tite capsules ?

Buy direct from the manufacturer. https://www.airtiteholders.com/suggested-holder-list.html

They ship internationally, but I'm not sure the shipping costs to the UK.

I also like OnFireGuy for smaller orders, but i think they just ship to the US.  https://www.onfireguy.com/
They have an Amazon and Ebay store and sometimes the prices are better there.

Archived