• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Starting out.

Iamdeadboy

Hello there,

I've always been interested in coins and collecting in general and have now decided to really begin stacking. I see this more as a store of value and long term investment.

Starting out I would probably be buying more Silver than Gold but plan to do both and bullion over proofs.

I am Canadian and have a slight bias towards Gold Maple Leafs but in my brief research I have read that the Canadian mint has a bad reputation for milk spots and just releasing too much.

For bullion milk spots would not affect any price correct? It is simply the gold or silver content in them correct?

I've read the same criticism of the royal mint...how do the two compare? I love the look of the queen's beasts that series is what would have numismatic value as well right? I've read it is in bullion as well but on the website all i see is proof versions and they are all sold out anyway. 

Hi Bullionaire

Gold below .9999 can get red spots. I think this is where there is oxidiastion of the non gold elements in the coin. 

I have seen a Coronet US20 with a red spot!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

24 minutes ago, dicker said:

Hi Bullionaire

Gold below .9999 can get red spots. I think this is where there is oxidiastion of the non gold elements in the coin. 

I have seen a Coronet US20 with a red spot!

Yes I have seen that. Seems like you have a lot lower chance of your gold going funky than your silver though. 

RCM has stated that, all silver coins, starting from 2018 on....have had an extra 'treatment' which should stop/slow....milk spots.

Not sure if it works in the longer run....but no milk spots on my silver maples incuse or 30th anniversary coins....

https://www.mint.ca/store/campaign/Mintshield-7700022?lang=en_CA

grtz

T;)

3 minutes ago, Tritoon01 said:

RCM has stated that, all silver coins, starting from 2018 on....have had an extra 'treatment' which should stop/slow....milk spots.

Not sure if it works in the longer run....but no milk spots on my silver maples incuse or 30th anniversary coins....

https://www.mint.ca/store/campaign/Mintshield-7700022?lang=en_CA

grtz

T;)

Thats what I had read, thanks @Tritoon01 , I wonder if the climate we live in or store them has a effect on milk spotting, we should do our own census, on where in the country the coins live, and how we store our coins and whether or not they are spotted and to what extent.

16 minutes ago, dicker said:

Very very interesting - I have not seen on .9999 before. Has anyone else?

Unfortunately this phenomenon does happen on fine gold but not as prevalent as 22k. Here’s an article that discusses red spot:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/redspotsongoldcoins.html

So I talked to someone today who pretty much trashed gold saying he might not even buy gold at 900 an oz (Canadian) and told me to only buy Silver Maples.

Some of the stuff he said were real downers... Said stuff like 95% of the worlds Silver is lost forever and they are only on "Kindergarten" level with the uses for Silver

44 minutes ago, Iamdeadboy said:

So I talked to someone today who pretty much trashed gold saying he might not even buy gold at 900 an oz (Canadian) and told me to only buy Silver Maples.

Some of the stuff he said were real downers... Said stuff like 95% of the worlds Silver is lost forever and they are only on "Kindergarten" level with the uses for Silver

You will find that plenty of people have opinions on metals....economists, bankers,  enthusiasts etc, many who are proven wrong in their predictions one way or another. 

Keep your own views and read widely to get a balance. 

Best

dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, Iamdeadboy said:

Extraordinary! Some views, or the people who express them, are decidedly extreme! 

Here we are....a nice bunch of people enjoying our pursuit of buying nice coins....gold or silver or copper or whatever and  sure enough someone comes along who wants to spoil the party.....

.......my advice.....ignore what is so obviously a biased and compromised view.....

4 hours ago, dicker said:

You will find that plenty of people have opinions on metals....economists, bankers,  enthusiasts etc, many who are proven wrong in their predictions one way or another. 

Keep your own views and read widely to get a balance. 

Best

dicker

Yeah just look at some of the 'experts' who comment on BYB's videos from time to time, I wonder which UFO they have walked out of sometimes.

Archived