• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1825 shield

gazer

I have just received the 1825 sov I'm pleased with its condition, I might get it graded, I believe it's a AU58 hopefully ms60. If someone is willing to take a look see if you agree. I honestly don't mind if different opinions. Hope you can get a idea of my photos.

IMAG1091.jpg

IMAG1100.jpg

IMAG1128.jpg

IMAG1109.jpg

IMAG1121.jpg

IMAG1143.jpg

IMAG1144.jpg

IMAG1142.jpg

IMAG1085.jpg

IMAG1115.jpg

IMAG1113.jpg

8 hours ago, Sherabnamdhak said:

Is it NGC graded at AU58 if so ask Numi, I have a similar situation but I personally think AU58 is as good as it will get. Mind you I might be wrong. Lol. 

Yes I think you are right, and thank you I will ask Mimi. I will try and upload better photos. Probably later today. As daughter needs my help.

Cheers gazer.

8 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I honestly don't think the photos are clear enough to judge the details properly. It's looks like a nice clean coin though.

Absolutely I will try and do better photos, I will have a go later today, it is a nice coin the hair and face is better than my photos, I really wish I can do better with the photos.

Cheers gazer.

8 hours ago, Goldfever said:

I don't have the experience to comment accurately on the grading but what a beautiful coin, an absolute gem ... !

?

Thank you, I enjoyed looking at it when arrived. Nice one for my collection.

Cheers gazer.

6 hours ago, medgasguy said:

Nice coin but impossible to tell not only details but whether or not it's been cleaned as well.

I will try in a few minutes to upload more photos but I just can't get the photos good enough, but definitely not cleaned.

Cheers gazer.

Thank you Steve yes it's seems to close to a 55 possible 58? I will have to think a little while if to send off or not. 

Thank you everyone for your input.

Cheers gazer.

16 minutes ago, Kman said:

Are you hinting it looks cleaned?

It does look like it has a shine to it

No I wasn't. The original photos did not look like it had been cleaned to me although the odd new photo does seem to show a more shiny coin. I cannot comment on this aspect without the coin in hand.

It was an unfortunate choice of words on my part, I must be more careful!:D I merely meant it looked like a coin without obvious problems.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

No I wasn't. The original photos did not look like it had been cleaned to me although the odd new photo does seem to show a more shiny coin. I cannot comment on this aspect without the coin in hand.

It was an unfortunate choice of words on my part, I must be more careful!:D I merely meant it looked like a coin without obvious problems.

Maybe it's just the flash but this pic is very shiny

IMAG1113.jpg

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I wish you were living close as I would let you check the coin, I'm getting a better idea of grading, but you can't beat experience. Thank you Kman. Your opinion is welcome and appreciated.

I've found this useful for grading silver coins (haven't got any old gold coins so can't say).  It's a  bit limited as it only goes back to 1797 but I'm not aware of anything else out there.

The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins: Modern Milled British Pre-Decimal Issues (1797 to 1970) Paperback – 12 Dec 2014

@gazer, I agree with @MickD, regarding “The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins: Modern Milled British Pre-Decimal Issues (1797 to 1970) Paperback – 12 Dec 2014)” is useful for helping one learn some of the aspects of British Coin grading. Indeed there is a section devoted to George IV (Wyon) Silver/Gold 1824-30. The grading pictorials are for GEF, EF, VF, F and Fair. Looking at your photos, and you can self assess, but, an EF grade is quoted as “Assessing this design in the higher grades is a question of checking for slight rubbing of the hair (which, not being protected by a laurel wreath, wears quite rapidly). The most unusual place for this to start is at the point just above the ear, which should itself also be checked, especially at the top.” Also of consideration for the grade, as others have noted would be a major ding/scratch free field. By no means am I very good at grading myself, but these references and the advice from those, as @sovereignsteve and @sg86, can be highly valued and trusted.

I had posted an example of my 1825 George IV Gold Sovereign (AU58) I had received recently in “Today I Received” section...

An 1825 George IV Gold Sovereign in great condition with a grade of AU58.

53775E4E-0664-4908-8252-37FEAF89CB7B.thumb.jpeg.bdaf6fe42d4961e1d38f1299e9cd5ad6.jpeg25DC750A-1786-4C51-B3BE-65C37FA73BC2.thumb.jpeg.19b4f9d04732b8ed14925b14de328fac.jpeg43DE3959-6A53-4BEC-A76C-148698B467D8.thumb.jpeg.8d46096286af01d374423e9d378f7e26.jpeg389C2230-D84D-4B25-B9BC-4549B6770F3E.thumb.jpeg.3ff2a41630956c0db7083699f80cb4d3.jpeg

First of all your coin is a great one thank you for sharing your photos first Class.

Your write up is extremely detailed and informative, I am definitely checking out how to grade better, I find it interesting and a good learning curve.

I agree with you about sovereignsteve and sg86. 

Looking at your coin it looks slightly better than mine, but reading from your write up, above the ears mine is the same as yours and the ears are about the same, mine as a very fine scratch can't see with just the eye, and your coin looks slightly better around the shield. 

Again if I could take better pictures you could see both coins are similar apart from what I have mentioned, mine might get a (55)  Thank you.

Cheers gazer.

Hi SVcollector I would but I have just sent off for grading, it's going to be a while before getting back. I will show show the coin when it comes back, I'm was still unsure about it, I'm hoping it gets a grade? Here is hoping.

Cheers gazer.

Archived