• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Non-UK gold buyers advice needed

FFkook

So guys,

Doing a lot, a very lot of research, even my wife tells me to stop and do something else, but I need your advice here.
So buying gold when you live in the UK seems very easy, especially at almost spot(2-4% I guess, recalculating it from pound to euros is pretty hard). Also, a lot of sites in the UK have free shipping within the UK. Second, as I am reading, there are enough shops you can actually go to and buy.

Now, for the Netherlands, it seems pretty hard to buy at a low premium, if not, impossible. Shipping is very high, even up to 30 euros(about 25 pound). The sites that deliver with lower costs, then have an immense premium. I think buying gold is not really a Dutch thing(cheap a.s.s.e.s. all over the place ;) ).

Sovereigns are hard to find as well, just when I am learning to really like them.. Found the Bullionbypost website, with free shipping but a high premium( 1/10 Britannia is about 41 euros per gram, where as the spot price is about 33 euros/gram)..

So, am I missing something here? Is it really impossible to buy gold at a low premium here? Should I stop thinking about investing in gold? And continue with silver(which is also hard at a low premium, but not as hard as gold, and a lot of fun with a whole lotta r.. eh... coins)?

Thanks in advance guys! 

28 minutes ago, FFkook said:

They charge 21% over gold and 21 euros shipping..

21% over spot for what coins?

sovs are £239.89 (cheaper with volume) which is only £5 more than hatton garden and £3 more than atkinsons?

https://silvergoldbull.co.uk/2018-royal-mint-sovereign-gold-coin

21 euro shipping isnt so bad depending on volume of coins purchased and cheaper than the shipping costs you quote in your first post.

15 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

It seems you have a 57.42 euro tax (maybe because Canada is a non-EU country)

In the UK importing gold is tax free which accounts for the difference.

Seems your best option is to buy here ;)

Think so, yes. So the challenge lies in finding a site which sells at low premium and low or free shipping... Can't imagine I am the only one outside the UK that wants to invest properly in gold though?

Looks like 21% VAT being applied by SilvergoldBull, presumably because it has a local NL presence?  I didnt think gold coins had VAT anywhere in EU.  You'll need to do as we do for silver and find EU based sellers with lower VAT and low shipping.  Same ones i expect: GS.be, Europeanmint, and loads of German sites. 

Well, NL doesn't charge VAT on gold, they never did... But this site thinks otherwise.

Even then, how about other sellers, are there any dealers that ship outside of UK for a lower price so I can get closer to spot? Cheapest I found at the moment is Bullionbypost so far...

You could try writing my local shop luxcoins.lu

They do my sovereigns at 260euros and might ship to you. I know they are starting to get into the internet slowly so always worth asking. Shouldn't be to much postage from Luxembourg to netherlands.

14 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

There are plenty of sellers on the European mainland. Have you looked at GoldSilver.be and EuropeanMint.com ?

Yes I checked them out, seems that shipping costs are inevitable.

Thanks everybody for your input, my quest continues! Replies still welcome of course!

3 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@FFkook I think the best bet is to get someone else to buy it for you and send it from the UK to you.

Yes indeed, it will be this or not buying gold at all.. It will be making a loss on every coin almost for sure... I'll think about it some more.

1 minute ago, caloundracats said:

You could always join the group order which @BackyardBullion organises. He'll post out to you.

Otherwise I suggest you save up and buy more than one coin to ensure you get the best possible price re postage.

I joined already for some silver, and maybe will later do as well with a gold order, it saves indeed!

1 minute ago, Big23 said:

@FFkook may I ask how much you would like to invest?

Delivery from the UK to mainland Europe is ~11€ so not much less... It's only interesting if you go for special years...

You mean delivery from person to person? Because dealers have a higher shipping rate. As for how much I would like to invest, my idea was to buy a coin every 3 months, is what my budget and wife allow...

11 minutes ago, FFkook said:

You mean delivery from person to person? Because dealers have a higher shipping rate. As for how much I would like to invest, my idea was to buy a coin every 3 months, is what my budget and wife allow...

Yes it's Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed for with 250£ insurance, so 1 full or 2 half Sovereigns or 1/4oz is covered. Just watch out the sales area here on the forum and be quick :D 

Archived