• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can You Stop Milk Spots In Their Tracks?

Shasdam

Hello everyone!

I'm a new silver investor, and I recently made my first purchase — a stack of 2017 1oz. Big Bens.

The coins are fantastic with minimal and nearly imperceptible flaws. However, a few of them have very small but noticeable milk spots in the clouds.

I was wondering if it would be better to treat these milk spots now, or just let nature run its course? I store them in their mint capsules and keep them in a proper climate.

I know milk spots are a bit of a mystery — but does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I'd rather not handle the coins at all, but if taking a white rubber eraser to them to remove the milk spots while they're tiny would be better in the long run, I'm willing to do it. If the milking will continue to run its course regardless, then I'll probably just let it happen like Tame Impala.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just now, MickD said:

I have a couple of tubes of older maples with bad milk spots, Canadian bullion seems to be particularly prone to them.

Yeah...but 2018 they came out with a new refinement. Hopefully it helps

9 minutes ago, Shasdam said:

... but if taking a white rubber eraser to them to remove the milk spots while they're tiny would be better in the long run, I'm willing to do it. ....

I would never operate with a mechanical force! This will be always and forever noticible. (in my opinion) As this is "only" a buliion coin it doesn't matter but as soon as there is a "collectable" value mechanical treatment will dramaticly reduce the price. Just my thoughts.

1 minute ago, kugelblitz said:

I would never operate with a mechanical force! This will be always and forever noticible. (in my opinion) As this is "only" a buliion coin it doesn't matter but as soon as there is a "collectable" value mechanical treatment will dramaticly reduce the price. Just my thoughts.

That is my thinking, too — I just reckon using mechanical force on a very small spot may be better in the long run than having a coin heavily milked — requiring more mechanical force/treatment (or just leaving it milked). If such action will do nothing to stop future milking, though, then I don't want to handle them.

Never tried it but from what I understand, it will leave scratches.  If I have a milk spot, I just live with it.  Some of the graded American Eagles I have, it's accepted that some years have milk spots and that's reflected in the grading for that year i.e. you may get a lot of MS69s but relatively few MS70s.

Using a soft rubber removes milk spots. It will damage the surface of the coin but the surface of the coin is already damaged by milk spotting.

This is perhaps the best video i have seen. CyberCurtainTwitcher views the coin afterwards with a loupe - i cannot see scratches but i wouldn't bother sending it for grading.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I've rubbered a couple of spots. I found you have to use a clean but of rubber. I.e when the rubber starts to go black, cut that bit of rubber off and start with a clean bit. It seems to work well, but I've found I have to buff the coin with a cloth to get rid of the cloudy look the rubber leaves. 

Let's hope the Canadians new technology works (it seems to be for my 2018 maples) and all companies starts using similar!

1 hour ago, kugelblitz said:

Following this train of thought, dont do anything for now.  If the premium of the coins goes up and you come to sell, evaluate the situation then.   There might be cheap/non-damaging method to remove, or milkspot might not impact value much.  By taking a rubber to then now you lose that opportunity, and there nothing to say the spots wont re-emerge anyway. 

1 hour ago, sixgun said:

Using a soft rubber removes milk spots. It will damage the surface of the coin but the surface of the coin is already damaged by milk spotting.

This is perhaps the best video i have seen. CyberCurtainTwitcher views the coin afterwards with a loupe - i cannot see scratches but i wouldn't bother sending it for grading.

I wonder if that is removing the spot or just buffing the coin so it it shiny and not as noticeable ?

5 hours ago, Bullionaire said:

Let's hope the Canadians new technology works (it seems to be for my 2018 maples) and all companies starts using similar!

I received a 2018 Canadian Incuse maple yesterday and it has milk spots on the Queen's face ?

The number one way to get rid of milk spots is to NOT buy products from the RCM. Except bars. Wrap them in Pacific silvercloth.

https://silverguard.com/collections/authentic-pacific-silvercloth-by-the-yard

Its just a theory of mine but I believe the minerals in the water they use to clean the blanks are causing the milk spots. Kind of like spots on a glass from hard water...

Points To Remember:

• Sulfur and rubber causes tarnishing
  • Never wash or wet Silver Cloth
  • Never use sulfur-based glue or cement to adhere Silver Cloth
  • The recommended method for gluing Silver Cloth to a surface is white glue such as Elmer's
  • Never use rubber bands on your silver
  • Before storing silver make sure that is it clean and dry
  • Salt or other food particles left on silver can cause tarnish or even damage
  • Salt air will tarnish silver

5 hours ago, STONE said:

Its just a theory of mine but I believe the minerals in the water they use to clean the blanks are causing the milk spots. Kind of like spots on a glass from hard water...

That's what i've heard multiple time and seems to be the most likely to me as well.

If that is the case, do you think it would be possible to get rid of the spot if you put the coins in (distilled) water making the minerals dissolve.  Has anyone tried this? I guess that wouldn't damage the coin any further right?

From what I've read (can't remember the source) milk spots are a result of the cleansers used in the washing process of the blanks.  It all comes to how thoroughly the mints in question wash off the cleansers.  Even the RCM seems to clean their high premium stuff better, resulting in less milk spots.  The Perth Mint, which I think has the highest quality of the major mints, has milk spots on their low premium stuff i.e. silver bullion kangaroos.  It all comes down to $ they are willing to commit to properly cleaning the blanks prior to stamping.

On 20/07/2018 at 12:09, sixgun said:

those aren't milk spots, that's mange... better shave that bear ASAP!!!

On 21/07/2018 at 09:01, engire said:

That's what i've heard multiple time and seems to be the most likely to me as well.

If that is the case, do you think it would be possible to get rid of the spot if you put the coins in (distilled) water making the minerals dissolve.  Has anyone tried this? I guess that wouldn't damage the coin any further right?

Certainly worth a try, nothing to loose.

6 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Has anyone ever tried silver dip on their coins, wouldnt this be a none abrasive way of cleaning any bad stuff off them including milk spots.

I have used this on lots of silver and gold jewellery and never had any problems.

sdip.jpg.c3b4a512db9afe7305ca02be4e19f1e6.jpg

Silverfinger I use silver dip sometimes on small antique silver.  I was going to use it on a coin but you are supposed to rinse with water afterwards which for silver coins does not seem right any way I'll have a go next time I get some RCM maples out. 

On 28/07/2018 at 00:24, SILVERFINGER said:

cleaning any bad stuff off them including milk spots.

doesn't work with milk.

On 28/07/2018 at 07:11, Pipers said:

I was going to use it on a coin but you are supposed to rinse with water afterwards which for silver coins does not seem right

why not?:rolleyes:

you are dipping in acid, why wouldn't you want to wash it off afterwards?;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived