• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sotd Prince George

Cornishfarmer

Getting bit old now.    They are just going to release multiple sov per year by the looks of it.    Email from coin connection 

Good Afternoon

The mint is issuing a struck on the day sovereign for Prince George's birthday (22 July). They will be available to order on the 9th July.

Because of the kerfuffle with the coronation sovereign, I will be placing an order by Friday to ensure my customers don't miss out. So if you could let me know as soon as possible please.

The mint price is £500 my price is £475 including delivery.

Please let me know if you would like some and i will raise an order for you.

Thanks and hear from you soon

Best thing about that statement was the use of the word kerfuffke, not heard it in years? The Royal mint on the other hand can stick it up their article!

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Best thing about that statement was the use of the word kerfuffke, not heard it in years? The Royal mint on the other hand can stick it up their article!

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Yup! I was right on the money with my prediction. Another plain edge Sovereign, just without the 65 crown privy. 

At this point I am well and truly out! 

Edit: For those who care, the mintage is 750.

Link: https://www.thecoinconnection.co.uk/product/2018-celebration-gold-sovereign-struck-on-the-day-hrh-prince-george-5th-birthday-box-coa/

By the way, I’d caution anyone considering this coin to be very VERY wary of the “mintage”.

The description does not say that the maximum is 750. It just says that 750 is the limit of the coin in this presentation.

This is what the RM did with the Sapphire Jubilee and the Platinum Anniversary SOTDs last year too.

So I’d say we could totally see another 750 of this same design in November for Prince Charles’ 70th birthday.

That’s just my guess... but I seem to be on a roll with my predictions lately :)

54 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

By the way, I’d caution anyone considering this coin to be very VERY wary of the “mintage”.

The description does not say that the maximum is 750. It just says that 750 is the limit of the coin in this presentation.

This is what the RM did with the Sapphire Jubilee and the Platinum Anniversary SOTDs last year too.

So I’d say we could totally see another 750 of this same design in November for Prince Charles’ 70th birthday.

Aha, so that is the anniversary I missed when I was asking if there was another occasion like George's 5th this year. Spot on - very likely indeed Prince Charles it is with the same issue (no mintage limit listed on this unlike the Sapphire Coronation).

All previous George Sovs have been BUs haven't they?

So this is a first for a George with the plain edge, a unique strike for the moment, and can be graded/authenticated as such until the (likely imo too) second release, after which both will need to be sent to NGC in Mint-sealed packaging to distinguish them (?)

Also, with this following the Sapphire, is the plain edge now the plan for royal commemoratives/SotDs in general? Seems likely.

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

All previous George Sovs have been BUs haven't they?

So this is a first for a George with the plain edge, a unique strike for the moment, and can be graded/authenticated as such until the (likely imo too) second release, after which both will need to be sent to NGC in Mint-sealed packaging to distinguish them (?)

Also, with this following the Sapphire, is the plain edge now the plan for royal commemoratives/SotDs in general? Seems like

And I thought the plain edge is supposed to be a rare thing...

I got a call this morning from a very nice lady from the Mint offering one of these as I missed out on the Sapphire. I explained about the mintage and after consulting with her supervisor she told me that 'there are currently no plans to mint any more of these coins in the current financial year'. Make of that what you will (if anything)!

The release schedules should already be with the dealers (subject to NDA) shouldn't they? If @arshimo2012 or anyone else can have a 'best guess' in the thread in the Premium Members' section (there was an anonymous request that it be put in that section for any non-Premium members reading) that would be much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, *tada* said:

And I thought the plain edge is supposed to be a rare thing...

They could at least have used a basic privy of some sort unique to George couldn't they, so folk could be confident they were buying something unique with 'protected' status in the future without being forced to grade the coin for authentication 'just in case'. Or use that £5 design, which is George and the Dragon anyway. Silly Mint.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

Ok, tomorrow is the big day. 

Will they actually go and strike those coins tomorrow, on a Sunday? 

Chance for a new variety, SOTDA (strike on the day after). :D

59 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

Ok, tomorrow is the big day. 

Will they actually go and strike those coins tomorrow, on a Sunday? 

Call me cynical but I doubt it. They could strike them anytime and say what they want, nobody can say otherwise.

TBH does anyone care? All they need to do is label them with a suitable occasion or anniversary SOTD and people will buy them.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

All they need to do is label them with a suitable occasion or anniversary SOTD and people will buy them.

u are wrong because people are not buying them ? it is still there for preorder

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

1 hour ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Figured I would be too late in putting in my order tonight. I thought they would all be sold out...Wait, there are still 746 left...?

you better be quick because they are going to use the left overs to make plain edge 2018 BU  black  Friday  sovereign ?  , only need to change the box into black and reprint the leaflet 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Archived