• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake 2003 Panda mirrored bamboo ?

Frenchie

I have bought a 2000 Panda and a 2003 Mirrored from a seller and was really disapointed by the 2000 thinking it  is a fake 

P1500787.thumb.jpg.206e371196c2526f7352a90c0c3eb400.jpg

As you see, the weight seems wrong to me and moreover, I have dished the coin in hot fairy liquid (was dirty and without at genuine capsule) and I got that brownish stain on the left

The other Panda, a 2003 mirrored bamboo is in a good shape, and really seems geniune (compared to the fakes I have seen elsewhere) .

But I am suspicious about the blister (I have seen 4 differents blisters for the Mirrored Bamboo  http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=3723.15 ),  suspicious about the capsule  without the 3 little plastic holders inside to avoid rattling, (though it feels geniune in the hand).

Now, for the coin itself, compared to others Frosted or Mirrored Pandas,  I noticed that the end of the nose is not really mirrored except nostrils (but I have maybe found a new variant :) )

The contrast is good but the tone is different compared with my other frosted Panda

The thickness and diameter seem ok but difficult to see exactly through the blister.

Here are some pictures and also some ones with a Frosted bamboo Panda (Geniune) on the right.

Maybe knowledgeable forumers could give me their takes on this ? 

Thank you !

P1500803.thumb.jpg.dd749cf288cca2ef292319b9fe4d0960.jpg

P1500805.thumb.jpg.11c50a4c98870655d1bf3d9fb109958e.jpgP1500802.thumb.jpg.0e64c2ce16e8a96ee3854e98b76bc56a.jpg

P1500814.thumb.jpg.5ed39e58d12edb261edac646ab92a908.jpg

P1500823.thumb.jpg.082e3151ebe5f1b14fe1d3569791043a.jpg

Hello AgPanda, Maybe it is not easy with the pictures, but on hand I confirm you that the coin on the right is a mirrored bamboo. here is another one with a different angle and light

P1500809.thumb.jpg.0166daedeeb211e52030d854b8d634c0.jpg

After more researches, it would seem to be a geniune Panda from the Shenyang Mint : I have found another one from a respectable chinese dealer with a similar blister and capsule (without the  3 little plastic holders), though I have only found pictures of Pandas with a mirrored and shiny end of nose and no informations about my partially mirrored nose. Maybe I have found a new variant ?

So I will take the risk to keep and grade it and send  back the 2000 which I found too heavy 

I thought you would get a bit more commentary than this as there are a few Panda collectors on here.  Personally I find it difficult to tell some fakes from the real thing and am impressed by those on here who can do it from pictures.  I have two 2003 coins and like you one is in a capsule with no prongs (no plastic wrapper either so more likely to be a fake perhaps).  When I compare the two I cannot tell any difference in the Panda or the Temple but the backgrounds do look different just as in your comparison pictures.  It is easier to tell in the hand than from pictures so well done catching it in yours.  It is a depth of field thing.  I would be very interested to know what the result of grading it is and whether it comes back as genuine which I sincerely hope it does.

Thank you Seasider, your comments are greatly appreciated and confort myself in the idea of a legit Panda. 

I have seen one from  reputable Chinese dealer, without these plastic wrapper so it seems that the Shenyang Mint had different capsules.

Archived