• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk spot on a 2014 1oz Panda PCGS MS70?

Wardie73

Hi guys,

Received my nice shiny Panda from a seller on eBay. Very fast delivery, all looking good......

Opened the parcel to find a nice shiny coin, then turned it over & to my horror, found what looks like a milk spot.

Would appreciate if you can confirm my fears?

I think this may put me off slabs in the future, needless to say I will contact the seller & ask for a refund.

Thanks

Andy

post-246-0-64798900-1409572148_thumb.jpg

Sorry to see that on your slabbed coin ,this has happened before to one of the guys on here, you pay extra and expect a premium product and get a 2nd rate coin. It is not really the sellers fault although you will be within your rights to get a refund.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Thanks Bikez, yes it's a real shame. I have contacted the seller & they have agreed to a full refund. The only worrying thing is they said they checked the coin before posting on Friday & said it was ok. Surely Milk spots don't just appear over the weekend ?

Andy

I am not sure ( please check ) that a milk spot has any bearing on a coin grading but I might be wrong here.

It will definitely not have materialised suddenly so would have been on the coin pre-sale, but perhaps un-noticed by the seller.

You are fortunate that the seller has agreed to its return for refund but I too would have been mighty pis**d off had I got anything but a perfect specimen.

I agree Pete.

My reason for buying an MS70 was that it would be perfect.

I won't name the seller but they are an established coin seller & I have bought from them in the psst. The coin is winging its way back as we speak. Aslong as I get my refund I would have no issue using them again, maybe not for slabs though.

Andy

I've actually seen heaps of MS / PR 70 coins with milk spots, it's pretty common especially with Pandas from my experience.  That's one of the reasons why I'm not so keen on buying slabbed silver, let alone semi-numismatic silver (with perth mint coins being one of the few exceptions).   I've heard many stories of others receiving their coins spotless then 1 year later milk spots developed in the slabs too.  Personally I don't care about milk spots, but I know if I spend $100+ on a silver proof coin and then it develops milk spots it'll then make it much harder to sell, so it isn't even worth the gamble in my opinion.  Slabbed gold is good though!!!

The Pandas are prone to milkspotting, they're not as bad as the Maple leafs though. And yeah, they can appear pretty quickly and the reasons are not entirely clear. I remember back in 2010 or 2011 I ordered a bunch of those Timber Wolf coins by the Canadian mint and within a week a couple of them had started to develop milkspots. And no, they were not exposed, they were in airtite capsules.

As for milkspots though it should be noted that grading companies do not regard them as faults to the coin and so even if it is graded 70 and develops them at a later date, the grade is not harmed. I've got some coins that are slabbed and have developed them and although i would prefer them not to be on the coin I know now that after talking to representatives from NGC and PCGS it's not gonna harm the value in the future. I guess some people may turn them down based on the appearance but there are collectors who do not mind. I guess it just means that they may take a little longer to liquidate when I sell them in 10+ years?

Archived