• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Proof Coins

dicker

Hi

My wife inherited 250 Royal Mint Silver Proof coins “collectors” type coins - one pound piedforts, collectors sets etc.

She had no attachment to them and is considering selling - well getting me to sell them for her on eBay... very painful no doubt.

Has anyone successfully disposed of this amount of coins in a relatively low hassle manner? I know how to sell bullion, but these are a little different.

Best regards and thanks in advance

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

You can sell them on here to trusted members at a set price (or by negotiation on your set price) without the hassle of ebay listings fees and waiting times, and all the hassle of not knowing really who you're selling to etc.

Your prices should be lower here to reflect the ebay fees you save (probably should be a happy medium for all parties) if you'll accept PPff and/or BT. I would say though that you'll probably get some chancers on here PMing you looking for too cheap a price, so work out what you think is realistic in advance and stick to your guns!

You can also of course put pics up in advance while you're still working out what you want for everything and I've found many folks here most helpful in helping you to value stuff (with many experts) :)

Hi Kimchi

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

May I ask what the two letter coins like BT are?

Very best regards
Dicker

I think BT refers to Bank Transfer, for payment option.

Many thanks

Lord alone knows what my wife’s deceased relative was doing collecting this sort of stuff - leatherette boxes and COA’s! Not my scene at all so very happy to help her to sell it all.

23 minutes ago, dicker said:

Many thanks

Lord alone knows what my wife’s deceased relative was doing collecting this sort of stuff - leatherette boxes and COA’s! Not my scene at all so very happy to help her to sell it all.

Yes BT is Bank Transfer.

It sounds like you don't know what you have to sell, so I'd very much suggest asking folks here what you might be looking at (as well as doing your own research) - just be prepared for some 'cheeky offers' (maybe) and work out what's what first :)

You can't start selling and pricing things (definitely not negotiating) until you know what you have got!

I'd actually suggest Ebay might be better than here unless you know what you have!

I guess there are lots of queen coronation  , queen mum ,  queen birthday :D  wedding stuff , in this case it is best to sell one by one 

or take photo and price them in forum 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

I'd definitely start by pricing a few pieces on ebay and also very important, the "sold" listings. This is how I find out mainly how much something is worth. Sometimes when it's an obscure item it might be a bit tough getting an idea of a round about price, but for the most part you will get a sense of how much something is worth by checking the sold items section.

1 hour ago, 999magnum said:

I'd definitely start by pricing a few pieces on ebay and also very important, the "sold" listings. This is how I find out mainly how much something is worth. Sometimes when it's an obscure item it might be a bit tough getting an idea of a round about price, but for the most part you will get a sense of how much something is worth by checking the sold items section.

problem is if 250 items and someone need to research on it will waste a lot of time 

Drop a bunch of pics here, maybe we could recognise a bunch of stuff and be able to advise further. Those piedfort coins deman premium, so don’t undersell them. There are a couple of British Coin collector groups on Facebook that would be good to sell some of these as auction. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

UK silver proof coins buy + sell are a helpfull group on Facebook, admin seem to know there stuff and are trustworthy. Some of the silver proof pounds, 2 pounds and 50ps go into the 100's some christmass 50ps are crazy money so I'd definitely have someone in the know have a look over them.

1. I recently sold a silver lot at a well known Auction House as follows:-
  • 5  1oz Britannias
  • 3  1 oz other silver
  • 23 Silver .925 Commonwealth coins
  • A 4 piece boxed set of QE II 1977 Jubilee with coas
  • 10 pre 1926 GB silver including a Gothic Florin
  • About 59 silver threepenny bits
  • After commissions I got £193 with which I was a bit disappointed! Was I a fool to sell them like this - would it have been better with seperate lots?

3 hours ago, feyles said:
  • 5  1oz Britannias
  • 3  1 oz other silver
  • After commissions I got £193 with which I was a bit disappointed! Was I a fool to sell them like this - would it have been better with seperate lots?

yea 5x Britannia  alone ( if that's proof ) would easily fetch more than 193 pounds and you should know 

3 hours ago, feyles said:
  • 5  1oz Britannias
  • 3  1 oz other silver

100%. You may have made more as separate lots, but the auction house for that bunch was definitely not the way to go imvho.

Still, we all make mistakes - the trick is to learn from them :)

Archived