• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

THE 65TH ANN. OF THE CORONATION OF HM QUEEN 2018 STRUCK ON THE DAY FULL GOLD SOVEREIGN

fehk2001

4 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I’m with @Pipers here, looks like they will bring out 2-3 limited sovs per year and this one that should be a key date will keep getting watered down because they will have more and more limited sovs.    If George is 500 mintage will that be the key date because less mintage and still a sov?    I’ve got 2 of the 65th and seriously thinking of selling one for these reasons.   But got 2 children  so only reason I’d keep both

Could be!

For me the problem with the George is that so far there's been nothing about the George sovs (or the Charlotte etc - has Louis had one?) to make them different. This one is a very nice companion to the 2018 Proof. If George is just another regular Sov then are there any other anniversaries this year? If not (and there's nothing else on the list in the Premium Members section) this is the only special Sov for the Sapphire coronation year.

If George is special what can it be? They can't use this privy as it's nothing to do with him. Perhaps a 5 privy then?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, supposed to have some more of these coming from BNT next week, but at this stage they could well be returns. I'm thinking of cancelling the order...not because I don't think this coin is a winner but because I can't be bothered with the probable disappointment and hassle of dealing with returns again. A tricky one.

Very poor show from BNT - not delivering when promised (around the 30th), not keeping me informed, selling them for days on the website when they didn't have stock, hard to get through to anyone at customer services who knows what's what...not recommended at all by me so far.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:09, kimchi said:

Very poor show from BNT - not delivering when promised (around the 30th), not keeping me informed, selling them for days on the website when they didn't have stock, hard to get through to anyone at customer services who knows what's what...not recommended at all by me so far.

To be fair mine arrived on 30 June; it looked fine to me and had not fallen out of its capsule.

What does get me is being bombarded with emails for coins I don't want.

7 minutes ago, Seasider said:

To be fair mine arrived on 30 June; it looked fine to me and had not fallen out of its capsule.

What does get me is being bombarded with emails for coins I don't want.

I was told mine would arrive the same day - it was only when I chased them up when they didn't arrive that they told me they 'hadn't received stock yet (thanks to you I knew this was rubbish)', had changed my order due to availability (despite ordering four days before they stopped accepting 10 as an order and repeated phone calls with them reassuring me they wouldn't sell online 'stock' they couldn't fulfill), and that it'll come this week.

We shall see...

They told me the same thing about not selling what they did not have; but they also seemed to say there was a disconnect between the online orders and phone orders so that the online ones took a while to "show up on the system" which sounded ominously like the Royal Mint issue.  But they came good for me and I hope they do the same for you.

12 hours ago, kimchi said:

I was told mine would arrive the same day - it was only when I chased them up when they didn't arrive that they told me they 'hadn't received stock yet (thanks to you I knew this was rubbish)', had changed my order due to availability (despite ordering four days before they stopped accepting 10 as an order and repeated phone calls with them reassuring me they wouldn't sell online 'stock' they couldn't fulfill), and that it'll come this week.

We shall see...

Sometimes I reckon they advertise stuff they dont have because when you then make an order you are locked in with them until they get it and not buying from someone else, and they probably hope that you dont want the hassle of cancelling your order and waiting ages to get your money back.

All quite possibly true but they did make a point of saying that they do not take the money until the item is despatched - a contrast to some dealers for sure and a positive point for BNT.

2 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Sometimes I reckon they advertise stuff they dont have because when you then make an order you are locked in with them until they get it and not buying from someone else, and they probably hope that you dont want the hassle of cancelling your order and waiting ages to get your money back.

Yes Coin Connection were absolutely top class - very glad I found them through this thread :) Their amount of marketing messages are just about right as @Cornishfarmer says - not too frequent but actually about coins I may like to buy, thoroughly recommended by me too.

They also - shock horror! - have a website that actually shows how much stock they have, unbelievable but true!

BNT in contrast send me almost daily messages about this and that. I told them two weeks ago they were taking the absolute mick when they hadn't even fulfilled my first order. That was when I was assured it'd be the 30th, useless.

To their credit as @Seasider says they don't take money until despatch (also like the Mint!), are polite (even if not very competent - reminds me of Coin Portfolio Management on both counts there), and were open about coins being sent to head office in Germany first, which explains the delay until the 30th, but not why my order still hasn't arrived 10 days later.

On 24/06/2018 at 04:34, KevinJam said:

My coin arrived on Friday. The COA number is 632 so quite late in the production run. Reverse of the coin is fine but take a close look at the Queen's upper lip, looks like it has been grazed and lost some of the frosting. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"632 so quite late in the production run"

My understanding from The Mint is that they produce all the coins and then they are sent for inspection and boxing. Inspection is a bit hit and miss I'm afraid!!

The Certificate Number bears no relation to when it was stamped. So 632 could be coin number 001.

18 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

My understanding from The Mint is that they produce all the coins and then they are sent for inspection and boxing. Inspection is a bit hit and miss I'm afraid!!

From what I've heard inspection is very much worse than 'hit and miss' alas :(

I know it's the flagship product and they probably have the 'A Team' on production etc but I'm staggered really that all my 2018 Proofs were straight 70s considering the horror stories I've heard.

13 hours ago, SovTracker said:

"632 so quite late in the production run"

The Certificate Number bears no relation to when it was stamped. So 632 could be coin number 001.

I have sent the coin back to the Royal Mint for a refund. A real pity as I was very excited to have been successful getting one. Will now have to look for one on the secondary market. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

4 hours ago, KevinJam said:

I have sent the coin back to the Royal Mint for a refund. A real pity as I was very excited to have been successful getting one. Will now have to look for one on the secondary market. 

Can they not swap it for a undamaged one or are they sold out now ?

37 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Can they not swap it for a undamaged one or are they sold out now ?

I swapped emails with the Royal Mint and they can't swap it for a new coin it is 100% reserved / sold. 

3 minutes ago, KevinJam said:

I swapped emails with the Royal Mint and they can't swap it for a new coin it is 100% reserved / sold. 

Then you should be compensated in some way, it will be interesting to know where this coin turns up next, and whether or not its fault is declared/photographed.

• 2 weeks later...

BNT failed to deliver 3 times on the dates they said and each time it was me chasing them up to find out what was going on in the first place.

The last contact I had with them they were supposedly finally in stock last Monday to be posted to me Tuesday. Naturally they didn't arrive. I had given up expecting anything so didn't bother to cancel my order. Yesterday I notice they have charged me so I presume they have actually finally despatched them (without letting me know of course, they are too busy spamming me with emails about World Cup commemoratives and other rubbish).

Lord knows what quality of coins I'll receive.

An utterly miserable experience with BNT, I will never use them again.

On 11/07/2018 at 08:38, SILVERFINGER said:

Then you should be compensated in some way, it will be interesting to know where this coin turns up next, and whether or not its fault is declared/photographed.

I am fully expecting coin 632 to be in my order...

OK I'm not expecting anything worth keeping from BNT to turn up, so the last thing I want to do is to get anyone's hopes up.

However, I've decided that should (hope against hope) the coins be decent I will pass one on to somebody on this thread who missed out, at cost.

It's incredibly unlikely imvho, but I'm thinking at least the intention is there from me :)

On 11 July 2018 at 15:38, SILVERFINGER said:

So as a follow up I have returned the damaged coin to the Royal Mint. They were very apologetic and have organized a refund including shipping costs from Australia to the UK (waiting for the money to appear in my account). I do wonder what will happen to this coin, will they melt it? If so the population is now only 649.

For me I will now be on the lookout for someone selling a graded coin. 

1 hour ago, KevinJam said:

So as a follow up I have returned the damaged coin to the Royal Mint. They were very apologetic and have organized a refund including shipping costs from Australia to the UK (waiting for the money to appear in my account). I do wonder what will happen to this coin, will they melt it? If so the population is now only 649.

For me I will now be on the lookout for someone selling a graded coin. 

I think the poor phone staff are used to apologising, it must be the first skill needed for the job...

There was a waiting list at the Mint for these after they sold out, I expect whoever is next on the list will be offered it.

Nothing from BNT - they took my money on the 19th and it's the 24th today...

The latest news from BNT is...they supposedly sent the coins to me on the 18th, but it could take up to 28 days for delivery. They must be sending them back to their HQ on the Continent and then back here, and then back there for a final check, and then back here.

You've gotta laugh, what a joke company, I might get these supposed coins by Christmas, if at all :lol:

1 hour ago, SILVERFINGER said:

28 DAYS !!! sounds like a zombie horror movie.

28 days I would have had my order three weeks ago!

I can indeed only assume there is indeed a zombie apocalypse in Cornwall, and in a year or two (or five?) some fiery undead will arrive at my front door carrying a box for me...no doubt with a 'within 14 days' returns policy.

(As long as they aren't mutant pig-riding mini zombies like in Minecraft I think my nerves might hold, just about.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived