• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns. Time to get some gold

simon13

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice the bullion centre states all sovs are cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaning bath , and in no way effects the sovereign

is that normal practice?

Havn't got a clue if it is normal, but it saves me cleaning them before they go into the album. But when it comes to gold coins, I don't think the collectors are as obsessed with the cleaning issue as collectors of all other coins seem to be.

I notice the bullion centre states all sovs are cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaning bath , and in no way effects the sovereign

is that normal practice?

I clean all old sovs in an ultrasonic bath to get all the dirt and grime out of all the nooks & crannies.

It can make a considerable difference in the appearance of the coin, no longer blackened with 100 years of who knows what stuck to it.

I notice that people are spending up to £200 on original 1989 sovereign Royal Mint boxes and Certs of Authenticity, without the coins included, like here on eBay

What's stopping people picking up a 1989 sov and then bunging it in one of these, complete the COA and then passing it off as the original.  OK, if the coin is kosher and so is the box and COA then maybe people don't mind, especially as it could bump up the resale value; but doesn't it mean you could be buying something which has been pieced together and ultimately defeats the object of owning a coin in that it's not really correlated with the COA?

I notice that people are spending up to £200 on original 1989 sovereign Royal Mint boxes and Certs of Authenticity, without the coins included, like here on eBay

What's stopping people picking up a 1989 sov and then bunging it in one of these, complete the COA and then passing it off as the original.  OK, if the coin is kosher and so is the box and COA then maybe people don't mind, especially as it could bump up the resale value; but doesn't it mean you could be buying something which has been pieced together and ultimately defeats the object of owning a coin in that it's not really correlated with the COA?

For there to be an empty box, somewhere along the line there is the coin that was originally in the box. All people will be doing is returning these coins to these boxes. The only problem is if the box and coa is for a proof coin, and someone sticks a BU coin in a proof box, and tries to pass it off as a proof. 

For there to be an empty box, somewhere along the line there is the coin that was originally in the box. All people will be doing is returning these coins to these boxes. The only problem is if the box and coa is for a proof coin, and someone sticks a BU coin in a proof box, and tries to pass it off as a proof.

I thought all 1989 were proofs

Does anyone know what is a good price for a 2012 proof sovereign?

Very hard to see any full ones sold on ebay and dealers are quite high as you would expect

I think under £375 is a good price I have seen them going for £500+ back in 2012 but the prices have gone down recently.

Does anyone know what is a good price for a 2012 proof sovereign?

Very hard to see any full ones sold on ebay and dealers are quite high as you would expect 

Spot + 10% is a fair price but any higher you need to be desperate.

This isn't a proof sovereign is it? 

Just a bullion in a box, even if it does have a certificate from "pineapple direct limited" lol.  

Regular bullion coin in a fancy box so the listing title is incorrect.

Got the same coin from HGM some months back for spot +3% and it was in the blister plastic but not the box.

• 1 month later...

The 1979 proof sovereigns weren't issued with the certificate.

http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/1979sovereign.php

Well, never knew that, I have a 1980 proof with a COA and just assumed the 79 would also have one, but you know what they say about assumptions, cheers for clearing that one up arshi, and sorry Simon for giving you bad information, good luck on the auction! 

Archived