• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are you grading proofs that comes in collector boxes?

Ritvaser

I ordered some proofs recently to fill out an upcoming grading box to NGC. Some of these comes in collector boxes and I am not sure if a slab does anything good on the coin when its time to sell. The Idea would be to put it up for sale in a slab with the box for the buyer to choose to break it out but not sure its worth the effort. 

Anyone has experience with this?

Is it for you and your enjoyment, or just to flip?  If just to flip, I probably wouldn't slab it.  I do like slabbing coins I want to keep for my own collection though.  Just keep the boxes of course

Have not experienced this as a seller but as a buyer when I purchase a relatively modern graded proof coin my preference is that it comes with the COA and the original packaging. The rationale behind this is that if I ever do sell then the COA and packaging should improve its "saleability".

I also buy proof coins from the Royal Mint and I send these away for grading. I think putting proofs into a slab has merit as it protects the coin and you can sometimes get lucky with and achieve the converted 70 grading. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

If it's a coin that I may wish to sell in the future (especially if rare and/or demand should be healthy) and the slab might add some value, then my view (for a new coin) is grade it sooner rather than later (rather sadly in some cases - like a lovely Libertad set that is no longer in its presentation case).

Gold only - I don't grade modern silver myself.

They should be but its not always the case. I just received the results for two 2018 sovereigns I sent to PCGS for grading. Both were purchased direct from the Royal Mint (one of these was bought as part of the three coin set). One achieved 70DCAM and one 69DCAM. The £2 was graded at 69DCAM and the 1/2 sovereign at 68DCAM. So a very mixed bag, would have really liked for the £2 to achieve 70. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

30 minutes ago, KevinJam said:

They should be but its not always the case. I just received the results for two 2018 sovereigns I sent to PCGS for grading. Both were purchased direct from the Royal Mint (one of these was bought as part of the three coin set). One achieved 70DCAM and one 69DCAM. The £2 was graded at 69DCAM and the 1/2 sovereign at 68DCAM. So a very mixed bag, would have really liked for the £2 to achieve 70. 

Very much this. It can depend on the mint, the issue, even the batch. Proof Sovs are the flagship of the Mint and as such are usually their most consistently excellent (better than e.g. the Beasts). Saying that the Mint's notorious QC can fail these too. I don't know how bad they were but I know someone who had one or two 2018s replaced. I checked mine with a loupe and luckily they were all perfect, just one tiny speck of dust I couldn't shift with a puffer, so I left that to the graders. I think we sent about ten between us to NGC and all got a PF70 Ultra Cameo. A loupe at 6x or more is worth its weight in...well silver at least!

69 for a Proof won't attract those who demand perfection but is still very acceptable indeed for most. Sorry to here about the 68 though Kevin, that must have been disappointing. If that was with NGC I'd try again with conservation, it might be one of those borderline cases where you can get it bumped up a grade (unless you can see something physically imperfect on the coin). I haven't checked PCGS but at NGC (who some say aren't quite as strict, but in my limited experience the difference is very marginal) I think 90%+ at the time I sent mine in were 70s.

Also Proofs do not necessarily hold their value - lots of folk on here have picked up Proofs for a small premium over spot.

9 hours ago, SaltyCoinMan said:

As long as the Proof is still in its container it will hold its value, all proofs should be PF70

Right, but if I'm buying on ebay, I don't know that it stayed in the capsule.  I assume the worse actually, especially because pictures can be misleading.  I guess seller feedback comes into play too. 

Still, if its a flip, I wouldn't go through the cost and time to slab.

Archived