• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another Another Perth Mint Coin

999magnum

@kimchi i forgot to add in about the St Helena's, apart from the dotting going on in the frost, i wouldn't be surprised if there is some milk staining going on in the field around the figure. Going by your photo. There is a change of shade in the frost around her, and also in the top portion of the shield. I don't think it's a lighting thing. Unfortunately i don't have mine to hand to have a look, too. But yeah, i think it came up in another thread that frosting helps if not completely conceal milk spots, it sure helps make them less obvious.

12 hours ago, swAgger said:

You didn't look at your anniversary elephant too carefully before storage? So that isn't the one you meant after all when you said "e.g. Bavarian Mint stuff. Another premium bullion coin in a capsule came both hazy (probable milking) on the frosting and terrible production."? Or you saw it had hazing and just quickly put it away? I'm still taken aback the anniversary one would be hazed badly.

My apologies, I was talking about two different coins. The 'Bavarian Mint stuff' = premium coins after seeing that Anniversary Elephant. The 'Another premium bullion coin...' description = the Helena.

Very interesting info about the mints and the premiums on the Elephants, thanks! I love the Elephants and get them while cheap despite the milking so that's great to know, just a shame such lovely coins as these suffer at all.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 01:51, swAgger said:

@kimchi i forgot to add in about the St Helena's, apart from the dotting going on in the frost, i wouldn't be surprised if there is some milk staining going on in the field around the figure. Going by your photo. There is a change of shade in the frost around her, and also in the top portion of the shield. I don't think it's a lighting thing. Unfortunately i don't have mine to hand to have a look, too. But yeah, i think it came up in another thread that frosting helps if not completely conceal milk spots, it sure helps make them less obvious.

You are spot on alas (no pun intended :(). It looks like it could be the lighting but if anything the lighting actually makes it look better than it is! This was the one I referred to as 'hazy (probable milking)'. To the naked eye without a loupe the worst area is between her cloak and the ship (quite clear in the pic). It would indeed be hugely obvious without the frosting if it's milk. The next most obvious area is actually around the right hand side of the figure from around the helmet to the waist, but actually after a long examination I could make out a continuous patch from the bottom left to mid right at least.

The worst thing is, after taking the photo, I realised this was actually the better of the two I have! On the other the ship/cloak area is whiter and slightly bigger. I know some other folks' have the same problem areas, hopefully this is just a bad batch (though I would think the poor quality remains - apart from maybe the first from the die?). I forget now and they're in storage but I think there were obverse problems too in the same area - around the centre of the coin. With a loupe there was also a further very slight mark further out than the areas I've described on one of the two. I can only explain that it's like a hairline mark as if liquid had been on it, but when dry only the edge of where the liquid had been shows up, if that makes sense? A straggly mark from near the tip of the cloak to the fore sail of the ship.

Apart from bullion and the odd coin I fancy regardless, only selected mints and issues for me now (Perth Mint premium capsuled coins being one of them)!

14 hours ago, kimchi said:

My apologies, I was talking about two different coins. The 'Bavarian Mint stuff' = premium coins after seeing that Anniversary Elephant. The 'Another premium bullion coin...' description = the Helena.

No problem. I got my own wires crossed from the get-go about the anniversary elephant being the hazed one. Looking back i know you meant the St Helena. We got there though, and we agree we both see the same things on the trade dollar. Sadly. Some stage in the future i will get a chance to take out my St Helena's and have a better look for those cloudier areas around the figure/shield.

It's certainly disappointing to hear you remember the other one having some sort of faint hairline mark around the area. They will get away with what could look like an ill defined faint shading difference in the frosting, i'm sure of that. But not really the sort of marks that have an obvious border coming through. Oh, and add in the dotting to the frost.... sigh

I'll update with a pic or two whenever i can retrieve mine.

Another one to chalk up to experience. What a challenging hobby we have! Am i right in thinking there will be a series of 5 of these BU? I know the proofs are going to be 5 but can't recall reading anywhere if a Bu will run alongside each time. I assumed maybe. Whatever, think i'll step back if there's a next one.

On the subject of the "next generation koala's" (lol now i'm thinking koala's in space), i noticed Aurinum have dropped their price from a €10 premium to €8. And GSbe are at €6. That's the right pitch for these 2oz, starting off.

7 hours ago, swAgger said:

It's certainly disappointing to hear you remember the other one having some sort of faint hairline mark around the area. They will get away with what could look like an ill defined faint shading difference in the frosting, i'm sure of that. But not really the sort of marks that have an obvious border coming through. Oh, and add in the dotting to the frost.... sigh

I'll update with a pic or two whenever i can retrieve mine.

Another one to chalk up to experience. What a challenging hobby we have! Am i right in thinking there will be a series of 5 of these BU? I know the proofs are going to be 5 but can't recall reading anywhere if a Bu will run alongside each time. I assumed maybe. Whatever, think i'll step back if there's a next one.

Very disappointing indeed :( The 'hairline' was hard to detect even under a loupe at just the right angle, but is perhaps suggestive? I know lots of folks bought these but I seemed to be one of the only ones to pick these things up, so at first glance these are not too bad, probably because of the frosting (apart from the ship/cloak area which first alerted me to have a much closer look - and is the area easiest by eye to confirm). Unless it is a problem with the frosting? The reason I thought it might be is because the hazy area to the right roughly follows (surrounds) the outline of the figure, which seemed strange. The reasons I thought it was milk staining were because one of the coins has a larger area at the ship/cloak area, and that 'hairline'.

You know a lot about the subject @swAgger, do you think it's clear cut in this case? Could it be a combination of clumsy treatment/application of the finish on the figure area on the reverse and Liz on the obverse (if I recall correctly) with a coincidental 'hairline stain' further out on one reverse? Your own observations will be very interesting, please do let me know :)

Perhaps if it is the first of five (I may have assumed also) that's a good thing, and we may benefit from a similar effect to the Eles holding a premium? It's still a very distinctive and quite notable coin even if the quality is 'not the best' :)

Space Koalas, now that's more like it! :D

4 hours ago, kimchi said:

Very disappointing indeed :( The 'hairline' was hard to detect even under a loupe at just the right angle, but is perhaps suggestive? I know lots of folks bought these but I seemed to be one of the only ones to pick these things up, so at first glance these are not too bad, probably because of the frosting (apart from the ship/cloak area which first alerted me to have a much closer look - and is the area easiest by eye to confirm). Unless it is a problem with the frosting? The reason I thought it might be is because the hazy area to the right roughly follows (surrounds) the outline of the figure, which seemed strange. The reasons I thought it was milk staining were because one of the coins has a larger area at the ship/cloak area, and that 'hairline'.

You know a lot about the subject @swAgger, do you think it's clear cut in this case? Could it be a combination of clumsy treatment/application of the finish on the figure area on the reverse and Liz on the obverse (if I recall correctly) with a coincidental 'hairline stain' further out on one reverse? Your own observations will be very interesting, please do let me know :)

Perhaps if it is the first of five (I may have assumed also) that's a good thing, and we may benefit from a similar effect to the Eles holding a premium? It's still a very distinctive and quite notable coin even if the quality is 'not the best' :)

Space Koalas, now that's more like it! :D

It's a tricky one. If not spotting, could it be the frosting. A frosting problem would come from the die. I guess it's possible a couple thousand strikes in, the frosted texture on the die could start to show wear. And gradually expand. That would mean many hundreds showing a repetitive spread pattern.

I'm even more keen now to get hold of mine and look closer. I must admit that nothing in particular struck me about the frosting around the figures, when i had my first look over them. Just the dotting stood out. So maybe it's so faint (and depending on tilts and angles) that it isn't a problem. Can i accept the dots? Hmm. I remember they caught my eye just looking at them from a normal distance so they'll catch anyone else's buying. Considering the launch premium was at the higher end i expected slightly better. But it is just a 10,000 mintage so all in all i don't think small things like those are going to have too much of a negative affect. However it lowers your confidence when asking full premium from a future buyer some years down the road, simply because he would have a case to not be satisfied, and return. That's what i don't like - i like to have items which are clear-cut, quality, quality. The dots will have to be noted, or at least clearly shown in the listing pics.

Yes, we're going to have a real space menagerie! Coming soon - the next generation space kangaroo's join space koala's. Hmm how far could a properly suited kangaroo hop on the moon? Pardon me while i go to google :D

• 3 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 03:52, fehk2001 said:

how about capsules ? 

Just resurrecting this thread re the 2 oz next generation HR Koala's and Fehk's question re capsules. Does anybody know what size and where to get them please

Archived