• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half sov shield back

Bullionstu

So I've sold a load of pre decimal silver out of my collection, mainly badly worn or corroded coins which were really only fit for the melters pot. 

I've got £150 to spend, and I'm.feeling guilty about selling coins I've had since I was a kid (even if they were rubbish!) So I thought of but a shield back half as a half investment / half nice coin to own.

I've been stacking sovs as and when I can afford one but want to keep those purley investment with no attatchment. 

What should I pay for an average example? Sadly my usual source didn't have one that old so I'm dipping my toe into something new.

If anyone has an average one for sale i'd be interested!

1 hour ago, Bullionstu said:

So I've sold a load of pre decimal silver out of my collection, mainly badly worn or corroded coins which were really only fit for the melters pot. 

I've got £150 to spend, and I'm.feeling guilty about selling coins I've had since I was a kid (even if they were rubbish!) So I thought of but a shield back half as a half investment / half nice coin to own.

I've been stacking sovs as and when I can afford one but want to keep those purley investment with no attatchment. 

What should I pay for an average example? Sadly my usual source didn't have one that old so I'm dipping my toe into something new.

If anyone has an average one for sale i'd be interested!

@JunkBond may be able to help

From my research, you should get an ok 1887/1890/1892 that seem the most common shieldbacks Ive seen. At 150 they should be a reasonable grade but dont expect very high quality. Earlier years than that you can still get for 150 but the quality will be worse the earlier you go.

I’d go for the best quality/earliest year you can get. Its a tradeoff but I wouldnt sacrifice too much quality for year, better ones sell I find easier than worn early ones. Each to their own but thats my view

Have to agree with @Elements, Jubilee Head would be the way to go and although they are the scarcer, 1887 always seem the best condition and readily available.  £160 should get you a nice one.

Or Atkinsons have a young head for £159.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/pre-owned/dated-sovereigns?sort=price_asc&quantity=24&page=1&view=grid

39 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Thinking of putting 4 up for sale as a group not sure of reasonable price but may split if any interest 

Please PM me details of any shield half sovs you are thinking of selling they may be on my wanted list. :)

Archived