• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

"Plain Fields" Britannia Still sticking around in 2018...

NewMSmatist15

Has anyone on the forum picked one of these up or seen them floating around on eBay or other websites? They are sold out at Modern Coin Mart, see the link below. I completely missed it! It seems the Royal Mint are continuing with a tradition started in 2015 of having multiple Britannias available per year. This is the 3rd type as far as I can tell.

For 2018 there are the textured background silver Britannia coins known as the "radial sunburst" coins and designated as such on NGC labels, the Oriental Border coins, and now this plain fields coin which is simply listed as a DPL on the NGC label. Limited mintage as far as I know and they are still available raw from the Royal Mint last I checked. Let me know your thoughts! 

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-great-britain-1-oz-silver-britannia-2-coin-scarce-and-unique-coin-division-ngc-ms70-dpl-fdi.html

2018-s2pnds-plain-field-britannia-ngc-ms70-dpl-fdp-obv.jpg

Yup. The plain background are the ones produced and sold by Royal Mint (in a presentation box) whereas the sunburst and oriental border versions are Royal Mint Bullion.

To add further confusion there will also be the Royal mint's proof Britannia with a completely different design coming out later in the year

9 hours ago, Scuzzle said:

That Modern Coin Mart have some really nice slabbed stuff but their postage costs to the UK are ridiculous, £30 ish so it's out of the question for me.

Yep, very right with the P&P. If and when I do see a couple I'd like from there I'll get them to post them to a mate of mine in VA, then he to me. That should cut it down by around £15.

Just amazed to see a plain fields Royal Mint 999 silver coin without a scuff or rub mark on the highest point.
Only goes to show what is achievable when they put their mind to it and take some pride in QC.

18 hours ago, PansPurse said:

Yup. The plain background are the ones produced and sold by Royal Mint (in a presentation box) whereas the sunburst and oriental border versions are Royal Mint Bullion.

To add further confusion there will also be the Royal mint's proof Britannia with a completely different design coming out later in the year

I haven't bought any proofs for this series at all. I like the bullion versions, especially the pre-2014 ones. I wish I hadn't missed out on this as I have the "plain fields" version of the coin for every past year it was available.

all plain fields are brilliant unciculted (bu)

there is also a 2013 brilliant unciculted with the proof version design

and a 2014 brilliant unciculted verision with the bullion design (both with plain fields) (bu is a bit sharper, but it's very hard to tell)

from 2015 on there is a brilliant unciculted, bullion and proof version (all with different design)

Archived