• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do you track your stack?

PEAL87

Having started a stack and realising I need to keep track of it I started to pull together a fairly basic spreadsheet. Just to keep track of things like spot price at time of purchase, amount paid, Oz owned etc.

What does everyone else do? Anyone happy to share their methods or spreadsheets?

I use a spreadsheet but also use in tandem with this app. its called Gold Tracker (I have no ties or gain any reward for plugging this app.).  I think its a fantastic way to track your PM's and reasonably priced at £2.99.  I have an iPhone, not sure if its available for Android.  

I just manually update an excell speadsheet, these are the headings I chose.

COIN    WEIGHT    TYPE    QTY    D.O.P.  /  COIN DATE    COST PER ITEM INC. ADDITIONALS    TOTAL (INC. ADDITIONALS)    COIN TYPE    SPOT D.O.P

Edit, -  forgot to add at the bottom I have a box where I just divide my total cost by my total ounces to give me an average cost per ounce.

I too keep a spread sheet

WHERE PURCHASED     DATE OF PURCHASE   DATE OF COIN    TYPE      WEIGHT      QUANTITY    COST PER ITEM     SHIPPING      TOTAL COST

I then add up the weight & cost columns if I want to know the total weight, costs, and average costs. Never thought to add in spot price, may consider adding that. 

Will take a look at Backyard Bullion's spreadsheet - no doubt better than mine.

2 minutes ago, hoebag10 said:

@backyardBullion, do I need to add it to basket and checkout?

Can't seem to find a downloadable link.

Bullion Tracking Spreadsheet.xlsx

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I keep a spreadsheet similar to most others. I have ratios on there too including my ratio of gold/silver/platinum which helps with planning purchases for the year. 

It also keeps me very aware of my average price per ounce and helps motivate with buying the lowest premium stuff I can find. I think it's part of reason I've never been able to get heavily into numismatics. 

I've never used spreadsheets before, do any of the columns fill in automatically? I'm just completing my first row on BYB's spreadsheet and I would expect the 'total spend' to work itself out after cost and postage are filled in, but it doesn't seem to - do I have to manually work out and enter every individual box? 

For the last three years I use a brilliant spreadsheet put together by @Paul , I'm sure if you ask him nicely he will send you a copy ?

Works out your average ounce and gram prices for silver and gold , spaces for all the important details and also tells you total spend and how much money you have lost against spot !

13 hours ago, daz said:

For the last three years I use a brilliant spreadsheet put together by @Paul , I'm sure if you ask him nicely he will send you a copy ?

Works out your average ounce and gram prices for silver and gold , spaces for all the important details and also tells you total spend and how much money you have lost against spot !

That sounds great, that's how I thought these fiddly things worked. I would guess maybe @BackyardBullion's does (?) but as I use Libreoffice and not Excel the formulas don't translate (or summat)?

I could do without the lost column though :wacko:

7 hours ago, kimchi said:

That sounds great, that's how I thought these fiddly things worked. I would guess maybe @BackyardBullion

I could do without the lost column though :wacko:

It's not actually a loss column just your total spend against spot price , yours might be in profit but mine certainly isnt.

I use it open office and it all works spot on

53 minutes ago, daz said:

It's not actually a loss column just your total spend against spot price , yours might be in profit but mine certainly isnt.

I use it open office and it all works spot on

Sounds good (but also in my case sounds like a 'loss' column by any other name lol!).

@Paul, don't be shy, where is your spreadsheet you coy fella you?

Using excel, auto formula button, auto table function is amazing too. One page for silver purchases, one page for gold, final page for summary. Summary page is linked with current spot prices and total values from the silver page and gold page. Automatically updates when a new entry is logged, I love it, its the little things guys.

Today's summary shows that I am at a spot price loss of 10%.

Archived