• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Rectangular Bullion Coin

JohnA

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Looking at my two loose ones they both have slight dings in the ring in the exact same spot, and small marks in the same area (the front bottom 10% of the coin). I'm thinking they came from a bad tube (or perhaps rather a tube of bad ones) - ?

if u look at price u paid and no capsules, that's about right , I aint saying u should accept that quality but have to put into the points consideration, if that's premium bars that will be different stories 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

if u look at price u paid and no capsules, that's about right , I aint saying u should accept that quality but have to put into the points consideration, if that's premium bars that will be different stories 

Yep fully understood mate - just letting others know before they receive theirs/make orders :)

My feeling is the gold is the one to go for on these if there are quality issues with the silver, but I'm surprised - it's the first time I've had anything other than an immaculate product from Perth Mint.

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Looking at my two loose ones they both have slight dings in the ring in the exact same spot, and small marks in the same area (the front bottom 10% of the coin). I'm thinking they came from a bad tube (or perhaps rather a tube of bad ones) - ?

Yes, always the chance we take. Even though i tend to avoid uncapsuled, if there's a collectible piece i really want, i'll reluctantly take the risk. At least with a sealed tube, it rules out additional handling after being sent from the mint to the dealer.

By the way, meant to ask - the tube you got was still sealed?

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Which part of the coin is the ring? The rim around the edge of the coin? If mine have anything like that they are going right back. if I'm looking for dings and scratches I can get it for no premium. No point in paying 20% over spot for some damaged coins imo.

4 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Yes, always the chance we take. Even though i tend to avoid uncapsuled, if there's a collectible piece i really want, i'll reluctantly take the risk. At least with a sealed tube, it rules out additional handling after being sent from the mint to the dealer.

By the way, meant to ask - the tube you got was still sealed?

Yes, I think I'm sticking to caps for what I believe are slightly more than bullion (even if at bullion prices) in the future if bought sight unseen.

You've raised a very important point, thank you. The tube looked Mint-sealed but Goldsilver had for some reason put their own tape over the top. I have just removed most of that and the mint seal looks 'interfered with'. In the interests of fairness to Goldsilver I should probably investigate, I'll put a pic up in a bit...

3 minutes ago, SilverSnacker said:

Which part of the coin is the ring? The rim around the edge of the coin? If mine have anything like that they are going right back. if I'm looking for dings and scratches I can get it for no premium. No point in paying 20% over spot for some damaged coins imo.

Sorry a typo - I meant the rim. Alas Goldsilver (and many other companies) don't do returns for poor quality of bullion. 

53 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Yep fully understood mate - just letting others know before they receive theirs/make orders :)

My feeling is the gold is the one to go for on these if there are quality issues with the silver, but I'm surprised - it's the first time I've had anything other than an immaculate product from Perth Mint.

because this is high mintage bars, so I would expect these bars will be knocking around for a long time  so don't worry too much, 

I can pick a good one up for u in person ( if u can hang on ) , if u like ur perth mint kooks quality B)

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Yes, I think I'm sticking to caps for what I believe are slightly more than bullion (even if at bullion prices) in the future if bought sight unseen.

You've raised a very important point, thank you. The tube looked Mint-sealed but Goldsilver had for some reason put their own tape over the top. I have just removed most of that and the mint seal looks 'interfered with'. In the interests of fairness to Goldsilver I should probably investigate, I'll put a pic up in a bit...

oh no. I'm disappointed to hear the seal may have been broken. That's not good :(

I mean, it doesn't mean to say anything was done except the lid was just popped for a look-see. But it's not on for dealers to do that.

52 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

because this is high mintage bars, so I would expect these bars will be knocking around for a long time  so don't worry too much, 

I can pick a good one up for u in person ( if u can hang on ) , if u like ur perth mint kooks quality B)

Well mine have certainly been knocking around already and I only got them yesterday :(  Many thanks for the offer - much appreciated, very kind of you :)

51 minutes ago, swAgger said:

oh no. I'm disappointed to hear the seal may have been broken. That's not good :(

I mean, it doesn't mean to say anything was done except the lid was just popped for a look-see. But it's not on for dealers to do that.

Here's the pic bud. There is absolutely no extra 'give' in the tube, so the only genuine reason I can think of that Goldsilver put their own cheap nasty tape over the top (the green stuff you can see residue from - terrible smell, glad I got that chemical stuff away from the coins at least) is that they noticed the Mint tape wasn't necessarily secure. I have my own theories and am not planning to open the tube yet, all input welcome :)

You can clearly see one line of Mint security tape running up vertically, stopping where the tube meets the cap. Then another (separate) tape over the top of it slightly diagonally from right to left. It's not the same tape doubled over - it's a different section - anyone know if Mints might do this?:

Perth dragon coinbar.jpg

It does look cut to me, but then it overlaps too much to be the one strip of tape. hmm. odd.

After thinking about it though, i'm happy that it'll all be ok. Usually, from some other dealers i won't name, tubes are opened and sorted through to find the top condition coins, and any with dings etc are used to re-fill the tubes. The reason i'm sure and now happy that these seals being broken are nothing more than either a quick stock check, or some other innocent reason, is because they are from GS. They are not in the business of sorting or picking through. They stack em high and sell as quick as they can. Oddly, their lack of concern for sorting through for quality turns out to be a bonus - you know you are getting a tube that has not been emptied, picked through, and re-filled. :D

P.S. great album in the background!

Many thanks @swAgger, that is possibly some reassurance after what has been an otherwise very disappointing order from Goldsilver. My camera is not great - it's a definite cut in the tape. Can the tubes be resealed using the same tape? I was under the impression it was designed not to be reused, but always willing and hoping to learn more :)

Glad you spotted the album! I only used it because I could cover up part of the 'R' to make Purple Pain, you have sometimes simply gotta laugh :D It's the 25th reissue, remastered by Prince himself. 4 discs for £12, absolutely incredible sound quality and I still haven't got any further than the first bonus track on Disc Two - it's easily as good as anything on the actual album imo. Growing up I always stayed away from Prince due to his cross-dressing etc (sorry @fehk2001) but I saw him in London a couple of times on the residency he did just out of interest, and he was unbelievable, I was instantly converted. The Mozart of our age imho. I have the bootleg of the aftershow he did with Amy Winehouse - very special indeed.

Just now, kimchi said:

Many thanks @swAgger, that is possibly some reassurance after what has been an otherwise very disappointing order from Goldsilver. My camera is not great - it's a definite cut in the tape. Can the tubes be resealed using the same tape? I was under the impression it was designed not to be reused, but always willing and hoping to learn more :)

Glad you spotted the album! I only used it because I could cover up part of the 'R' to make Purple Pain, you have sometimes simply gotta laugh :D It's the 25th reissue, remastered by Prince himself. 4 discs for £12, absolutely incredible sound quality and I still haven't got any further than the first bonus track on Disc Two - it's easily as good as anything on the actual album imo. Growing up I always stayed away from Prince due to his cross-dressing etc (sorry @fehk2001) but I saw him in London a couple of times on the residency he did just out of interest, and he was unbelievable, I was instantly converted. The Mozart of our age imho. I have the bootleg of the aftershow he did with Amy Winehouse - very special indeed.

U can try but mind the vacuum machine and your cheap quality coins it will never arrive 

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

lol i wasn't quick enough to pick up on the clipped "R".

Had the privilege of seeing him just the once at Wembley.

Enjoyed that video. And Tom Petty.... another great gone :(

Edit: i can't figure out either how there is a second strip of Perth tape over the first. It wouldn't have been GS who bothered to do that, because as you said, their own tape was applied over the whole lot. Perth themselves maybe. Either way, everything is fine i'm certain now. If it had come from one of the main US dealers that would be a different story.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 16:35, swAgger said:

Enjoyed that video. And Tom Petty.... another great gone :(

Edit: i can't figure out either how there is a second strip of Perth tape over the first. It wouldn't have been GS who bothered to do that, because as you said, their own tape was applied over the whole lot. Perth themselves maybe. Either way, everything is fine i'm certain now. If it had come from one of the main US dealers that would be a different story.

Bib - I'm not so sure about that. I can't see any reason for Perth Mint to check, and if they had they would surely have done a better job making everything fresh and brand-spanking new before shipping. The fact Goldsilver put their own tape over the top leads me to suspect it was something with them (because I can't see them carefully examining Mint tape on tubes and thinking 'that doesn't look 100% secure let's make sure by putting our own tape on top'). I think the only answer is to open the tube (I couldn't sell it on as 'mint sealed' anyway) but I'm a bit worried what I might find tbh...

I do have to say I'm disappointed in Perth with the QA on these given their record with the Kooks etc. I'm especially surprised given that there's a gold version, I think they should have positioned these more in that sphere of quality. They're trotting out silver versions possibly akin to their basic bullion stuff (like the Roos) which in my experience can have major problems out the door.

I don't know Tom Petty much (just as a 'legend' ofc) but his grimace when Prince leant back into the bodyguard's arms didn't endear him to me too much! Nor did Dhani's comments afterwards  saying Prince went too far. You invite Prince of all people to play and then get pissed because he upstages everyone else and throws his guitar at the end...um, he had been doing that relentlessly for decades, it was kind of what he was known for lol :P

8 hours ago, kimchi said:

I don't know Tom Petty much (just as a 'legend' ofc) but his grimace when Prince leant back into the bodyguard's arms didn't endear him to me too much! Nor did Dhani's comments afterwards  saying Prince went too far. You invite Prince of all people to play and then get pissed because he upstages everyone else and throws his guitar at the end...um, he had been doing that relentlessly for decades, it was kind of what he was known for lol :P

Tom Petty loved great guitar playing. And you can see Prince smiling at him while he was playing. Tom's grimace was just kidding around. I'm sure they knew everything that was happening beforehand. 

1 hour ago, JohnAnsink said:

Tom Petty loved great guitar playing. And you can see Prince smiling at him while he was playing. Tom's grimace was just kidding around. I'm sure they knew everything that was happening beforehand. 

Ah that's good to hear! Dhani said Prince just turned up, didn't know the song, didn't rehearse and then disrespected the Heartbreakers and the Wilburys with his antics. I think you can see he's kind of the nervous kid worrying too much in the vid. Just being needlessly over-protective of the legends he grew up with I hope, though I thought his comments afterwards were pretty off. Anyway it's an amazing vid! I've seen Prince better imho (though I only saw him twice) on e.g. All Along The Watchtower and Whole Lotta Love, but no video captured like this :)

The gold looks nice, yet its mintage is 25,000.  The Dragon & Phoenix (same Perth mint, same 2018) has a mintage of 5,000 only.  The price of this rectangular is higher than the price for round Dragon & Phoenix, per selling price at LPM and both are currently available.    :huh:

Archived