• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New member, looking for advice

buckeyecoins

Hello from Columbia MD!

I decided to join to learn how to be a better collector and investor.  I have made my fair share of dumb decisions when it comes to buying (and not buying) coins.  I totally swung and missed on the Rwanda rooster and nautical gold coins.  Now those coins are going for more than double the initial release price.  I will be kicking myself over that for years probably.  Anyhow I'm interested in hearing what other collectors are buying right now and what stands the best chance of appreciating in value over time.   If there are threads that already address this topic please point me in the right direction. 

Thanks a lot!

21 minutes ago, Cacc said:

Welcome! And there will be many coins like that over the years that you wish you bought...or wish you didn't buy. BUT there will also be those coins you bought and you score big!

Except I rarely (if ever) score big on anything, mostly because it's hard for me to forecast which coins will do well and which won't.  Low mintage doesn't always translate to demand and popularity - I have learned that the hard way.        

May I ask which series you have chosen to focus on, if any?

2 hours ago, buckeyecoins said:

Except I rarely (if ever) score big on anything, mostly because it's hard for me to forecast which coins will do well and which won't.  Low mintage doesn't always translate to demand and popularity - I have learned that the hard way.        

May I ask which series you have chosen to focus on, if any?

I have more Canadian Maples in my collection and am just missing a couple years, but that became an easy focus just because I live in Canada. Now I am more of a stacker/collector than a flipper, so I don't really buy anymore with the intention of selling...too stressful. That being said, Earlier on, the coin that I did the best on was 10x Australia Lunar Rabbits that I sold for 3x what I paid for them. The others that I had in the Australia Lunar series I was able to double my money on, but the Rabbits just happened to do the best. I still think I just got lucky on that one.

This year I started with the modern  semi numismatic coins only silver ones. It's hit and miss to which will be winners or good  flippers, luckily my choices have held there value or increased slightly. To be honest I'm happy just converting my fiat to PM's, It the premium's that numismatics command that makes me cringe, I  keep thinking how many more OZ of bullion I could have bought if I'd not purchased a 150 quid 1 Oz proof  coin that could potentially milk.

Hi and welcome to TSF :D

Personally I'm a collector, so I have not focus on what coins you can flip fast for a profit. I just buy what I like and want.

I have seen post from here speculating about what might be the next big thing. But can't point you where they are, here somewhere. Look for post from Numistacker, he has made a few of them.

Archived