• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 hour ago, stackerp5 said:

I've received today this lovely Greek Tetradrachm. Been looking for one for a while and I managed to get the Athens Owl one! It's got a countermark on both sides which I don't mind, it only adds character!

1855 four pence for size comparison. The tetradrachm is a chunker at 17+ grams!

20240817_132756.thumb.jpg.1cceed3fe9b7e39d4563e4c47cf9dfe7.jpg20240817_132807.thumb.jpg.2c53b509e12c3acc20d52ee2c5ace2d7.jpg20240817_132825.thumb.jpg.fb09e0d502d41ef81702a905508de88c.jpg

Attica owls are amazing coins, it was also my first tetradrachm. The character and history behind them is quite unbelievable, the test cuts just mean some person thousands of years ago held your coin and checked it was definitely silver - that’s amazing history.

1 hour ago, stackerp5 said:

I've received today this lovely Greek Tetradrachm. Been looking for one for a while and I managed to get the Athens Owl one! It's got a countermark on both sides which I don't mind, it only adds character!

20240817_132756.thumb.jpg.1cceed3fe9b7e39d4563e4c47cf9dfe7.jpg20240817_132807.thumb.jpg.2c53b509e12c3acc20d52ee2c5ace2d7.jpg20240817_132825.thumb.jpg.fb09e0d502d41ef81702a905508de88c.jpg

A great coin with an amazing history. Must be great to hold in your hands🤔👍

21 hours ago, SilverToday said:

Sold some American Silver to buy some Roman Gold. A no brainer for me since I have plenty of Silver but not much in Gold lol. This one here is a Ancient Gold Solidus (Latin word for 24 Karats pure). 

The Solidus served as the Roman period's primary gold denomination that retained its value and served as a monetary standard for over a thousand years, until the fall of the Byzantine Empire in the 15th century. This coin here is from the Byzantine Eastern Roman Empire and depicts the reign of Emperor Heraclius 610-641 AD (on left) and his son Heraclius Constantine (Heraclius III) both crowned and holding labarum in right, on the obverse shows a cross potent on tri-stepped base with the legend "Conob" (Constantinople) below. 

A bit of history on these two if it might interest you, Flavius Heraclius Augustus was the son of exarch of Carthage. Father and son led a revolt against the unpopular usurper Emperor Phocas in 608. When Heraclius marched on Constantinople he was proclaimed Emperor. He beheaded Phocas himself after the latter sarcastically replied to a query. Heraclius is considered one of the greatest of Roman Emperors. Although the Empire suffered military setbacks in the east, Heraclius reformed both government and army, decreasing corruption and increasing effectiveness. Heraclius is accredited with the recovery of much territory that had been lost to the Persians, he was the first Emperor to come into contact with the Muslims and halt the Arab advance, and his military reforms helped assure the besieged Empire's survival for centuries.

s-l1600 (1).webp

s-l960.webp

A fantastic addition, what is its diameter? 🌞

A coin is not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

Amor Vincit Omnia.

1 minute ago, Skelator88 said:

couple of coloured varieties, Wombat & Wedge-Tailed Eagle 

IMG_9459.thumb.jpeg.b6f0b4ff5c27391efa7091918fd42ed1.jpeg

Nice. Can you tell me, are those plastic bags that the slabs are in supplied by NGC when grading or are you buying and putting the slabs in? 

if you are, can you give a link to purchase them, ta

Never Chase and Never Regret 

5 hours ago, stackerp5 said:

Mine has what looks like a bite mark but I'm guessing someone 2000 years ago punctured it to check that it's silver all the way through.

7 minutes ago, JohnV66 said:

Mine has what looks like a bite mark but I'm guessing someone 2000 years ago punctured it to check that it's silver all the way through.

Nice, might be a long lost relative

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

30 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

I mean, this is something nobody knew they wanted and certainly didn’t expect:

Regularly pass where this was made, an unassuming home not far from Canterbury. Also the galactic centre of the greatest sci-fi animated show ever … The Clangers.

On 17/08/2024 at 09:48, Aldebaran said:

A fantastic addition, what is its diameter? 🌞

Thank you and thanks for asking as well! The diameter of this one is 20mm. Even at the fairly small size, they sure do show well

in person/hand due to the relatively deep hand strikes combined with the sheer brightness of 24k Gold color lends themselves 

to a nice eye appeal. 

The Gold Solidus's from what I've seen and I've seen many usually 

range between 19mm - 21.6mm and weigh in the range of 4.2g - 4.46g's from what I've seen.

The 3 I have so far are all 20mm of which I have another coming in that diameter tomorrow. 

Excuse me for the long read, I guess I get a bit too excited when I notice others share the same

enthusiasm for Ancient Roman Gold as I do. As of late, I can say to myself I'm officially addicted to Roman Gold

which could be a either a good thing, a bad thing or both simultaneously lol and now after giving it some thought,

I guess when your addicted to Gold of any nature it's always a good thing imo. 

Edited by SilverToday

"Gold Is The Money Of Kings, Silver Is The Money Of Gentlemen."

On 17/08/2024 at 14:49, Simmoleon said:

Attica owls are amazing coins, it was also my first tetradrachm. The character and history behind them is quite unbelievable, the test cuts just mean some person thousands of years ago held your coin and checked it was definitely silver - that’s amazing history.

That is really interesting, thank you! Also appreciate the correction/correct spelling ahaha! 

On 17/08/2024 at 14:55, Petra said:

A great coin with an amazing history. Must be great to hold in your hands🤔👍

It's amazing! Quite indescribable to be honest! No regrets buying it though, I've been looking for ages and finally found one that is exactly what I wanted :D

On 17/08/2024 at 18:49, JohnV66 said:

That was probably the first time somebody noticed they couldn't live off eating silver!

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.