• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Great coins, maybe an obvious question but what is a raised WW? I know what WW is on these coins, but how can you tell a ‘raised’ one?🤔🤔

There are two types, incuse and raised.

For the 1855 the normal is incuse, but raised exist in small numbers 

1 minute ago, Orpster said:

There are two types, incuse and raised.

For the 1855 the normal is incuse, but raised exist in small numbers 

Cheers👍 so always worth close look under a glass🤔

Edited by Petra
add

4 hours ago, bilko said:

Received today from the London mint the quarter sovereign posted on here, £108 well spent actually quite nice packaging 

IMG_6700.jpeg

IMG_6701.jpeg

IMG_6702.jpeg

Are these CGT exempt?

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

From the moment you are born, the number of people in the world who are older than you only ever gets smaller.

On a normal circulated sov with this design you'd expect to see a frosted finish in the fields as well, at least on all of the old vics I've ever had.  Perhaps it was struck with an old proof die on the obverse.  Given the 'M' mint mark (the dies were still made in London) I suppose they may have had to do something like that as a stopgap if they were waiting on new dies to arrive from London.

Something interesting is that the illustration of an old-head sov in the Melbourne mint page of Marsh hasn't got frosting in the fields.  Although the book doesn't explicitly mention that the Melbourne mint did this, it was from a different year to your example where the examples from the other mints all had frosted fields.  I guess it's possible that one or more dies with polished fields were used for circulated sovs for some reason.

Also, proof coins were struck by the Melbourne mint, but they are all listed as very rare (R7).

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

7 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

No, but how much profit are you planning on making from a quarter sov?🤔

Somebody's on this board (can't remember who ATM) has a large collection of quarter sovs, so I suppose if you've got enough of them.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Received a 1898-M sovereign in prooflike condition. The effigy stands out here.

Out of curiosity, I had a look under the microscope to see the prooflike state where the field is quite reflective.

Anyone know what could be the reason, probably the first few strikes of a new dies? I had another piece of 1898-M, and the field is totally different.

image.png.935575fc4bb3f0dac2126dd6b7012372.png

image.png.308b4fe3a86467b13e49b7b83635c54a.png

There were proof versions of all the Melbourne old-heads, so theoretically it could be a proof though I am guessing you would know if it was by the grade

The first coins off a new die will have proof like qualities.  As the die will be freshly polished they can get quite mirrored fields and very crisp detail as the die has not had chance to start to wear

15 hours ago, paulmerton said:

No, that's the only real downside.

Not much of a downside ;) I just ordered myself one, first bullion I've bought for months. The London Mint is the last place I imagined ever buying anything but at £108 delivered you can't go wrong with these.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

3 hours ago, Orpster said:

There were proof versions of all the Melbourne old-heads, so theoretically it could be a proof though I am guessing you would know if it was by the grade

The first coins off a new die will have proof like qualities.  As the die will be freshly polished they can get quite mirrored fields and very crisp detail as the die has not had chance to start to wear

It’s in MS61 PL. 

i had a look at the NGC census, and there are quite a few veiled head pieces with MS PL grade. 

1 hour ago, sarumike said:

And then from @DavePanda, some fantastic 2oz kooks and a proof lib plus a little 1oz koala.

PXL_20240723_110508372.jpg

PXL_20240723_110538517.MP.jpg

That Lib looks out of place with the others - Would you like me to take if off your hands? 😁

Was that listed on here recently?

2 minutes ago, SilverRich said:

That Lib looks out of place with the others - Would you like me to take if off your hands? 😁

Was that listed on here recently?

🤣 No it wasn't listed. Nice little bonus

1 hour ago, Fishface220 said:

Marmite coin set…. Seems a few out there don’t like this coin but I’m a fan of it. Worked out with postage 9% above bullion spot price. Just need to decide now what to do with the set now. 

1: keep it as it is

2: grade the full, leave the half raw and put into a spare box, sell the quarter and box

3: get a box for the full and keep the full and half raw. Move on the quarter and box

D72DBF52-6481-49E4-8B39-3FF083EF5517.jpeg

Option 1. It's a lovely thing, don't kill it!!!

1 hour ago, Fishface220 said:

Marmite coin set…. Seems a few out there don’t like this coin but I’m a fan of it. Worked out with postage 9% above bullion spot price. Just need to decide now what to do with the set now. 

1: keep it as it is

2: grade the full, leave the half raw and put into a spare box, sell the quarter and box

3: get a box for the full and keep the full and half raw. Move on the quarter and box

D72DBF52-6481-49E4-8B39-3FF083EF5517.jpeg

Memorial on the list. Wonderful design

Edited by 9x883