• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

33 minutes ago, SilverToday said:

This recent pick up was part of a centuries old sunken shipwreck hoard. Authentic 1783 Genuine Sea Salvaged "El Cazador" (1784) Shipwreck Spanish Silver 2 Reales.

A striking find, this historic treasure 2 Reales 1783 El Cazador shipwreck coin was among the most frequently discovered artifacts in the wreckage. These coins held particular popularity across the Spanish colonies, valued for their versatility in everyday transactions. Their lower denomination allowed for easy exchange in a variety of purchases, underscoring their widespread use in daily commerce. It's unknown how the ship sank but it is possible it was sunk by pirates - this coin traveled in a treasure chest on a wooden Spanish galleon protected from pirates by cannon and musket that were a real threat during this time.

El Cazador played a pivotal role in shaping American history as a significant shipwreck. Its discovery revealed a treasure trove of valuable coins, each with its own compelling story, now highly sought after by collectors worldwide. The reverse was most likely laying face down in the sand protected while the obverse was swept by saltwater currents. 

1783 El Cazador Shipwreck Spanish Silver 2 Reales (1).webp

1783 El Cazador Shipwreck Spanish Silver 2 Reales (2).webp

Am I correct that the American War of Independence finished in 1783? If so, what a fantastic coin to own 🌞

A coin is not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

Amor Vincit Omnia.

7 hours ago, goldmember44 said:
On 02/07/2024 at 12:39, ZRPMs said:

Two early sovereigns for me. An 1817 and 1818. Just need the 1819 now for a full set of George III20240702_123051_HDR.thumb.jpg.1740a7f38d8c739deceb1b8cdd17beed.jpg20240702_123119_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c9b5203e540d822b29ca84a2053dbb0.jpg

Expand  

Beautiful. Maybe 1820 would be easier to get than 1819?

Sorry, I was only joking. The chap I got these from said he had sold a 1819 a little bit back for £110,000. 

I did say if he could get them I'd have two.

1 hour ago, Aldebaran said:

Am I correct that the American War of Independence finished in 1783? If so, what a fantastic coin to own 🌞

Yes, you are correct in your assessment. 🙂 It's also what helped shape what is America today. There was roughly 450,000

of these coins minted in Mexico by request of King Carolus III of Spain that was meant to be transported to the Spanish colonies in

the US the help boost the faltering economy due to the paper dollar currency that was being used for commerce etc... was neither

backed by Silver or Gold but the ship never made it to it's destination as it was ultimately sunk due to either a hurricane or pirates.

The vessel and it's crew disappeared into the sea sinking without a trace. The Spanish needed this shipment to stabilize the weak monetary

system in colonial North America. Spain lost it's territories to Frances's Napoleon who sold the 1 million square miles to the US. If the ship

had not sunk America may have been vastly different not being able to expand to the west. It's a pleasure to own such a historically significant piece of sunken shipwreck treasure. 🙂

Screenshot_20240703-120912_Google.jpg

Edited by SilverToday

Gold Is The Money Of Kings, Silver Is The Money Of Gentlemen.

On 28/06/2024 at 14:28, cjbcomm said:

A nice 2023 1/4 Gold Standard from the Trial section of the RM auction.

These were all sold abroad so it seems so not many in the UK.

Nice to have cert number 1 even though pretty meaningless as these are trial coins!

IMG_20240628_141409_HDR.jpg

Oh no 🤦🏻‍♂️ absolutely stunning!..... I never knew this existed! I have all the other 1/4oz bullion Gold Standards.....I now need this in my life too! 🙈

19 minutes ago, SilverToday said:

Yes, you are correct is your assessment. 🙂 It also helped shape what is America today. There was roughly 450,000

of these coins minted in Mexico by request of King Carolus III of Spain that was meant to be transported to the Spanish colonies in

the US the help boost the faltering economy due to the paper dollar currency that was being used for commerce etc... was neither

backed by Silver or Gold but the ship never made it to it's destination as it was ultimately sunk due to either a hurricane or pirates.

The vessel and it's crew disappeared into the sea sinking without a trace. The Spanish needed this shipment to stabilize the weak monetary

system in colonial North America. Spain lost it's territories to Frances's Napoleon who sold the 1 million square miles to the US. If the ship

had not sunk America may have been vastly different not being able to expand to the west. It's a pleasure to own such a historically significant piece of sunken shipwreck treasure. 🙂

Screenshot_20240703-120912_Google.jpg

Thank you, such history 🇺🇸

A coin is not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

Amor Vincit Omnia.

17 minutes ago, Rugbyplayer said:

Oh no 🤦🏻‍♂️ absolutely stunning!..... I never knew this existed! I have all the other 1/4oz bullion Gold Standards.....I now need this in my life too! 🙈

There will likely be several available when the 2023 trial of the pyx coins come out. The same happened for the 2022 1/4oz bullion coins earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Booky586 said:

Try this, it's worked for me. Hold the slab in the vertical position as if the slab is resting on its edge. Mark the coin position with your eye and then rotate the slab, using both hands passing from one to the other, in a clockwise rotation as if rolling on its edge - do it several times. If the coin is loose enough it will roll inside the slab, slowly moving either clockwise or anti clockwise. Check the position of the coin, if it's moving further away from the desired position then rotate in the opposite direct.

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.1b29cfcdb2811c2e5703d63e0b7e1fb6.jpg

Best of luck and I hope it works for you.

I appreciate the heads up, I will try it out and let you know. Thanks 👍🏽

13 hours ago, AOB said:

I appreciate the heads up, I will try it out and let you know. Thanks 👍🏽

You could try an electric toothbrush or anything similar, that has quite a strong vibration.

Hold the back of the toothbrush to one side and it will rotate the coin one way, the other side will rotate it the other way.

Works really well with the older fully enclosed NGC depending on how well they are encapsulated and the edge,

not sure, so much about the four pronged version, also works with other slabs.         

Edited by Wampum

59 minutes ago, Artictim said:

Photos up to my usual standard - ie third rate, but a lovely couple of pieces from Atkinsons. Limited to 500 pieces I just love the design and detail. Something different for me. Thanks to @BackyardBullion for the Vlog on this one. 

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

Nice coins! Mine haven’t been dispatched yet 😩 

1 hour ago, DrKarlMoneys said:

I've also just today got Boudicca coins, got one in each finish they look pretty good.

Boudicca coins.jpg

22 minutes ago, neilthenurse said:

Another pair of Boudicca rounds here!

d5ee35c7-87db-4af4-8921-9172ac8fef2b.jpeg

3 hours ago, Artictim said:

Photos up to my usual standard - ie third rate, but a lovely couple of pieces from Atkinsons. Limited to 500 pieces I just love the design and detail. Something different for me. Thanks to @BackyardBullion for the Vlog on this one. 

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

What the deuce!