• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia 2014 gold proof set

garthy

I've been contemplating getting this 3 coin Britannia proof set today, £595 for a 1/4 oz a 1/10 and a 1/20, I wouldn't usually be looking at something like this but the sets are limited to just 150 which seems so low to me.

What do you think?

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2014_Three_Coin_Gold_Proof_Set?tab=detail#productdetails

I thought the word on the forum was that the rm was vastly overpriced and what seems to be low mintage this year , they just decide to mint more next year and the next yr and the next year

I doubt they would mint any more after stating 'maximum coin mintage' they would be losing a lot of trust with their customers. 

and what seems to be low mintage this year , they just decide to mint more next year and the next yr and the next year

Can I ask where you heard this?

I have never heard of the RM retrospectively re-minting.

Stacker since 2013

I thought it was on record that most dealers say that rm buyers  lose half their money at time of purchase, due to the vast overcharge , cant remember which article it was but a host of sellers went to dealers to sell rm goods only to be told that their purchases weren't worth half of what they had paid

I thought it was on record that most dealers say that rm buyers lose half their money at time of purchase, due to the vast overcharge , cant remember which article it was but a host of sellers went to dealers to sell rm goods only to be told that their purchases weren't worth half of what they had paid

No, sorry, I meant about the re-minting.

Stacker since 2013

I thought it was on record that most dealers say that rm buyers  lose half their money at time of purchase, due to the vast overcharge , cant remember which article it was but a host of sellers went to dealers to sell rm goods only to be told that their purchases weren't worth half of what they had paid

Usually I'd agree but I'm seeing a lot of popularity for these 2014 Britannias, both silver and gold and with their low mintage I can see them doing well in the future.  

You have to be clever with RM , same as Perth mint, learn the release dates of coins you are after, series coins are released about the same time every year, look out in the months before a new yearly release , dealers are shifting stock at good prices ,ready for new release , after 4/5 years prices appreciate , and good deals are hard to find

There are plenty of dealers who will offer you discounts on RM prices. It's all a matter of waiting till they get hold of them. 

Only time will tell, I'm not sure that's gonna happen with this coin.

I've been contemplating getting this 3 coin Britannia proof set today, £595 for a 1/4 oz a 1/10 and a 1/20, I wouldn't usually be looking at something like this but the sets are limited to just 150 which seems so low to me.

What do you think?

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2014_Three_Coin_Gold_Proof_Set?tab=detail#productdetails

I can't blame you they look realllyy nice in gold

Why don't they sell them individually in 1oz, 1/2 or 1/4, why only in sets?

Do you think say if you bought say the 1/2 1/4 and 1/10 set you could keep the 1/2 and sell the other two? maybe make some money back and keep the coin you wanted. 

Or don't sets of coins sell very well when out of the set. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

If you have the funds and you like it, then go for it.  Worse case you have to wait until spot hits £1500 or so the break even.

If you plan on flipping it then it's a gamble.  150 sets is not very many and £595 is comparable with the Perth Mint stuff (£350 for 1/4).  If it goes the way of the previous stuff, then you'll probably lose money on it.  A quick eBay search shows single 1/4 proof hitting £250 tops.  With this being a limited set of 150 it may hold better and could even rocket if there's enough demand.  It also has the added bonus of being a new design and the different design years tend hold better.

I can't blame you they look realllyy nice in gold

Why don't they sell them individually in 1oz, 1/2 or 1/4, why only in sets?

Do you think say if you bought say the 1/2 1/4 and 1/10 set you could keep the 1/2 and sell the other two? maybe make some money back and keep the coin you wanted. 

Or don't sets of coins sell very well when out of the set. 

Yeah Kman I thought the same, no individual 1oz, 1/2oz or 1/4oz, just a 5oz and a 1/20.

As for buying a set and just keeping the 1/2oz, I'm not sure it'll be worth it, you'd probably get £350 for the proof 1/4 and the 1/10 meaning the 1/2 cost you over £800 and you've broken the set that's limited to 100, I feel the set being limited to 100 is where the real collectability will be.   

If you have the funds and you like it, then go for it.  Worse case you have to wait until spot hits £1500 or so the break even.

If you plan on flipping it then it's a gamble.  150 sets is not very many and £595 is comparable with the Perth Mint stuff (£350 for 1/4).  If it goes the way of the previous stuff, then you'll probably lose money on it.  A quick eBay search shows single 1/4 proof hitting £250 tops.  With this being a limited set of 150 it may hold better and could even rocket if there's enough demand.  It also has the added bonus of being a new design and the different design years tend hold better.

Cheers MZ

My plan isn't to sell anything like this until I retire which unfortunately's a long way off yet :( , I was thinking with it limited to 150 there may be quite high demand for these in the future but I suppose only time will tell, weather it does go up in value or not I really like this design and would like to own it in gold so I guess that's all that really counts, purchase now made :)   

I have to say Garth, I do think the 5oz silver has a better upside potential than the 3 gold set.

The 5oz silver is still only a 600 mintage, that's very low.

I thought about that aswell Dan, but I've already ordered the 6 coin silver set, I thought I'd like this coin in gold too so it was either the 1/20oz or the 3 coin set, I wouldn't usually buy these coins from the RM but that Britannias made me greedy  :P

As i am new to PM i could not addvise you on if it is a good deal or not, however i can see why you like the set and it is a very low mintage. But if i have got this correct and it is only 2/5 of an ounce of gold, i get that to £309.62 worth of gold. If it was me i would rather buy 6 half sovereigns or whatever in gold bullion. I would not have said this ,but for you mentioning that you would be thinking of selling it in later years, but hey if you like it that much there is nothing wrong with it.

Cheers MZ

My plan isn't to sell anything like this until I retire which unfortunately's a long way off yet :( , I was thinking with it limited to 150 there may be quite high demand for these in the future but I suppose only time will tell, weather it does go up in value or not I really like this design and would like to own it in gold so I guess that's all that really counts, purchase now made :)   

Garthy , i am not sure how old you are but am a bit confused by your comment about being dissapointed that retirement is a long way off yet. Dont be in such a rush to get older , it comes round all too quickly as i well know.

Garthy , i am not sure how old you are but am a bit confused by your comment about being dissapointed that retirement is a long way off yet. Dont be in such a rush to get older , it comes round all too quickly as i well know.

We don't have to retire when they tell us, I want to retire as young as possible :) 

You are right about this of course garthy, i think i made the mistake of assuming you meant retiring at 60 or 65. I would like to apologize for this , i hope i have in no way offended you as this was not my intention :) .I wish you well and hope you achieve your dream of retiring young.Take care my freind.

Archived