• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns vs Queens Beasts, Britannias etc

Sliopjbsail

Why do people seem to prefer to collect gold sovereigns to 999 gold coins such as Queens Beast, Britannia, Lunar series.....as these are available in 1/4 ounce, you get a solid gold coin rather than a 916 coin and also seem to get a smidge more gold for your money. Is the popularity on sovereigns based purely on collectability or resellabilty? 

5 minutes ago, Sliopjbsail said:

Is the popularity on sovereigns based purely on collectability or resellabilty? 

You answered your own questions!!!!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Why do people seem to prefer to collect gold sovereigns to 999 gold coins such as Queens Beast, Britannia, Lunar series.....as these are available in 1/4 ounce, you get a solid gold coin rather than a 916 coin and also seem to get a smidge more gold for your money. Is the popularity on sovereigns based purely on collectability or resellabilty? 

Hi. If its about Gold content then it doesn't really matter as a Bullion dealer values an item on its Gold content.
I collect Sovereigns for their uniqueness. Mintmarks, errors, variations and availability. I dabbled in Britannia's but found no joy in them and sold the lot.
Its down to personal choice but in the end if its about the money and just the Gold content then who cares?
But when you buy a Sovereign from 1887 for £229, not much above the Gold price when I bought it and its worth over £1,000 because of its condition and its rarity, then that is something else!!
Happy hunting.....

15 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Hi. If its about Gold content then it doesn't really matter as a Bullion dealer values an item on its Gold content.
I collect Sovereigns for their uniqueness. Mintmarks, errors, variations and availability. I dabbled in Britannia's but found no joy in them and sold the lot.
Its down to personal choice but in the end if its about the money and just the Gold content then who cares?
But when you buy a Sovereign from 1887 for £229, not much above the Gold price when I bought it and its worth over £1,000 because of its condition and its rarity, then that is something else!!
Happy hunting.....

Where do you shop for your sovereigns?

If I fully understand the ops' point then dont buy Queens Beasts,Lunar Series,Britannias or any of the like..............BARS is the only way to go and they have so much more history etc than any coin ever produced.........

2 hours ago, Ravinella said:

If I fully understand the ops' point then dont buy Queens Beasts,Lunar Series,Britannias or any of the like..............BARS is the only way to go and they have so much more history etc than any coin ever produced.........

I prefer "BARS", especially the ones you walk into.

2 hours ago, Ravinella said:

Handpoured? 

All bars are good, handpourd or machined,I have some of both myself........just saying if it is for purely bang for your buck that you collect,as op appeared to imply, then buy bars everytime and dont bother with any coins at all.............

Where do you shop for your sovereigns?

Coin Fairs are my favourite hunting grounds though some auctions through up the unexpected.
We are all human and make mistakes - Dealers are human too!!

Work this one out. Just finished on EBay a 1937 Sov PCGS PR64 sold at £2300. 5 minutes later the sister 2 Sov PCGS PR64 sold at £2050. So twice the gold weight but £250 cheaper! That's collectors for you.

4 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Work this one out. Just finished on EBay a 1937 Sov PCGS PR64 sold at £2300. 5 minutes later the sister 2 Sov PCGS PR64 sold at £2050. So twice the gold weight but £250 cheaper! That's collectors for you.

Yes the collectors market for sovereigns is much larger than for doubles, hence the crazy prices. The value of the metal is largely a secondary concern when it comes to these collectable investments. It does have an affect on the value, for example, shield sovereigns have risen in price with the gold price rising, but the premiums have stayed much the same over the spot price, hence the odd duality of buying gold numismatics. 

I still struggle with it as an investment, personally if I buy a coin with a premium, its because I like it and not because I think it will do well and will flip well in a few years. I have a hard enough time judging where spot will be over such a time frame, never mind what will be in fashion amoung my fellow collectors ;)

Its collecting imo,not sure its collectors...........£2 sovs rarely fetch more than their £1 equivalents simply because more people collect £1 sovs than doubles therefore less £1s  out there.

£1 is priced in spink at £3500...............£2 at £2850.........makes sense to me.This game/hobby is not just about how much gold you are buying it is vastly more complicated than that.........

KDave just beat me to it so I'll keep quiet now...............

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2017 at 21:29, Ravinella said:

Its collecting imo,not sure its collectors...........£2 sovs rarely fetch more than their £1 equivalents simply because more people collect £1 sovs than doubles therefore less £1s  out there.

£1 is priced in spink at £3500...............£2 at £2850.........makes sense to me.This game/hobby is not just about how much gold you are buying it is vastly more complicated than that.........

KDave just beat me to it so I'll keep quiet now...............

That's a £750 and £900 jump since last year.  I feel that jump is a bit higher than usual but can't be sure as I don't buy every years and just recently had a clear out of old Spinks and Krause's.

The 1/2sov and 2sov 1937 are the value items. There were exactly the same mintage numbers for each of them. The full Sovereign will always be the premium as everyone collects full Sovs. Look at 1989 half and full too.

I bought a 2 Sov at Heritage NGC PF65 for £1,850 that's almost finished at NCS now and a PCGS PR64Cameo 1 Sov on eBay USA for $2,800.

These coins have jumped recently I think due to China and Japan demand according to Sovereign Rarities and I feel there is a growing interest in Sovereigns anyway.

12 hours ago, Numistacker said:

These coins have jumped recently I think due to China and Japan demand according to Sovereign Rarities and I feel there is a growing interest in Sovereigns anyway.

In the U.S.as well. It actually concerns me a bit as a new Sovereign collector. If the price of higher grade Sovereigns begin to jump quickly across the board solely because interested has piqued globally for these coins, I may have to look for another 1/10 to 1/4 Gold coin to invest in until the Sovs are no longer the FotM.

My local antique shop tells me they sell halves at £125 and fulls at £250.

Assuming they actually ignore the year and condition, is it broadly speaking better to buy the older ones if the price really is flat? I'm not really planning to flip unless they offer up a rare gem for a flat price when it's worth twice that.

I should probably pick up a Sovs guide. Suggestions?

Archived