• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The new offering from The Royal Mint

Silvergun

19 minutes ago, MikeSol said:

I contacted the Royal Mint about the Piedfort Sovereign release and was told to look on their website over the next couple of weeks.

That certainly sounds exciting.  I can see that being another storming success, if they ask a fair price... i.e. £850 or in the region of.

The only downside of the coin (for me) is that the diameter will be exactly the same as the regular sovereign, so as far as seeing the brilliant 1817 design, it won't be any different.

The only thing going for it is that it will be the first piedfort sovereign; that may be its appeal.

In any case, all the poor folks who got the regular sovereign at double the issue price off the secondary market may be a little regretful now, as they could have got double the gold content at the same price with the new piedfort sovereign :-/ 

16 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The only downside of the coin (for me) is that the diameter will be exactly the same as the regular sovereign, so as far as seeing the brilliant 1817 design, it won't be any different.

The only thing going for it is that it will be the first piedfort sovereign; that may be its appeal.

In any case, all the poor folks who got the regular sovereign at double the issue price off the secondary market may be a little regretful now, as they could have got double the gold content at the same price with the new piedfort sovereign :-/ 

Hmmm.  A good point; I hadn't considered that.  I hope it doesn't crash the prices of the originals.

Peace, my friend :)

I was just casually speaking my thoughts, and the only point I was making about price is that the Piedfort is going to be double the weight while looking exactly the same as the regular sovereign; because I'm pretty sure people will either leave the coin in its holder or get it graded, and in either case, the thickness will be irrelevant when looking at the coin.

Those were just my thoughts that day and I thought to post them to see what others think. Cheers!

On 6/21/2017 at 15:07, westminstrel said:

The normal sovereign is the most collectible size, it's not about the gold weight when it comes to collectibles

That's why the proof double sovereigns of special designs can often be bought for less than the regular. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

23 minutes ago, Kman said:

The normal sovereign is the most collectible size, it's not about the gold weight when it comes to collectibles

That's why the proof double sovereigns of special designs can often be bought for less than the regular. 

I did not think about it from that angle. As a relative newbie to all this, I just assumed that given a choice between two coins that look exactly the same, people would want the one with more gold content.

I do see your point though, and I did not know about the single vs double sovereign price aspect you mentioned.

Guess I have much to learn about how the collectible world works  :) 

I'm curious what you guys think about the Quintuple Sovereign I posted about in the other thread... I shared my initial thoughts there, but probably you experienced collectors have more valid thoughts?

27 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

I'm not sure why you'd think it would effect the Sovereign though, (just read your above comment being new to the hobby) if anything, it would effect the double Sovereign that they already minted in sets, which is double the weight of the sovereign. As i said above, i think it will come down to how it looks, i'm not going to buy an ugly coin just because it's piedfort, i also won't buy unless it's a proof because then we're just looking at bullion

Makes sense about the design of the piedfort and whether it is proof or not.

I'm curious what you think about the Quintuple Sovereign too. I shared some info I got (may not be 100% accurate) in another thread. Thanks for your responses.

Archived