• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof and other coins you don't see often

Shamatti

As the title sais! lol

Have a look here: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Peter-Strich-Stamps-and-Coins

Keep an eye on this place. The prices will drop over the next couple of months. Sadly Peter is having to close his business as the mall his shop is in is being redeveloped.

He has some realy cool stuff for the collector of the unualual, and lots of proofs. I pop in there regularly, he is a nice guy.

He will ship overseas, but just got burned by a dealwer in Germany, so is reticent to send high value items. I am sure if full payment is made up front he will get over this though!

My favourites are the birds of Australia series, which he has many of. They are beautiful coins. Might even treat myuself before I leave.

Any way - just thought I would share this rather excellent collection of oddities with everyone! :)

Thanks for that Shamatti,I bought a few proof roos off Peter a couple of years ago,not the cheapest guy around but he has the coins you want and they got here no problem.

Re the bird series is that the one that kicked off in 1989-94?

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Thanks for that Shamatti,I bought a few proof roos off Peter a couple of years ago,not the cheapest guy around but he has the coins you want and they got here no problem.

Re the bird series is that the one that kicked off in 1989-94?

Yes, but I don't think he has the full set. He has all but the '94. And too many to buy all at once! But I do likethem!

Its OK for me Shamatti I've got both the standard set and the piedfort set :) beautiful and underrated proofs IMHO

Talking about underrated proof sets,the endangered species coins from 1994-98 are stunning coins especially the piedfort 1.2ozs of sterling silver.The one that is particularly hard to get is the northern hairy nosed wombat although it has the same 14,000 mintage as the others.

I've just had a look at my bird series sets and the 1994 is the wedge tailed eagle head,which is the hardest to get of that series, lowest mintage as well at 14,134 for the Piedfort.

Mintage for the standard proof 24,326.

Just a warning for anyone buying these coins, make sure you know the weight as they look identical except the piedfort is double the thickness  of the standard proof and weighs 40gms as against 20 gms for the standard.

P1000116_zps0c06ea82.jpg

P1000117_zps26b0800e.jpg

Thanks for that

Yes it is the Piedfort set he has there, shame the last one is missing, the rest are a realy good price. But I am not giving myself the headache of hunting down the last missing coin! lol

Shame, as you say they are 40g, which is a lvoely weight for a coin. I would have get this set had it been complete! :/

If you bite the bullet and buy the set off Peter, I just happen to have a boxed and cased with cert Piedfort eagle head spare. :)

Ooooooohhh!!! Temptation! You horrible man! lol. I can get the first 5, 89 - 93, for just under $200. Thas £110 for the 5. Then I have to find a trade/bribe/pocketfull full of fiveres to get your spare Eagle! lol. Oh ye Gods! Why do you  tempt me so? :wacko:

Archived