• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

swap silver for gold?

tbone

Just want to get some opinions.  I have much more silver than gold currently (in terms of $ amount anyway).  Been thinking lately of using a large chunk of the silver (bullion) to finance some gold purchases (mostly bullion but some numismatic).  This would be a long term hold for me.  I told myself I would wait until the silver/gold ratio comes down before swapping anything, but honestly I'm more interested in gold lately, and I don't see the ratio changing much.  Although if things really do heat up in PMs, silver will probably move faster to the upside.

Is my thinking wrong?  I'll have fees and some lost premiums to deal with, and time and effort.  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Edit: I'd also be very interested in what everyone thinks is a good % balance of silver and gold in a collection.

1 hour ago, shortstack68 said:

Personally I buy what I like the look of or based on rarity, the percentage of what I hold in terms of silver/gold doesn't matter for me. The other factor is price, if I can buy an oz of gold over silver then I'd go for that, or if I'm trying to continue a series I'll wait, the new QB proof Unicorn 1/4oz being a case in point.

Availabe funds being the dictator in buying anything.

Thanks @shortstack68 , perhaps I shouldn't worry as much about percentages.  I would like to pickup that proof Unicorn in 1/4oz!

Archived