• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are the LUNAR SERIES II 3 coin sets worth the money?

PolarPanda

I'm interested in buying the Lunar Series II Year of the Rooster 3 coins set. I saw a couple of pictures of the previous editions here on the forum and they look amazing. 

The only thing i ask myself is if they are worth the money? How is the value normally evolving after time? I hear the Lunar II Series is doing very good in general, so i'm curious! 

iaus021728_1.jpg

They don't seem to do as well as the single proofs. I think they were the bee's knees when they were the only way to get hold of a 2oz proof but since the mint released the 2oz in the full set format, mintage 1000, I think their popularity has declined. The mouse and ox had quite small mintages, around 350 I believe, but 1000 has been the norm since.

I wasn't collecting or really aware of PM lunars in the early days of the 2nd series but perhaps one of those who were could shed more light on these?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Perth mint pissed a lot of collectors off re the 3 coin sets, as initially the 3 coin set was the only way to get a 2oz proof coin &  surprise surprise a year later they launched the 12 year 2oz proof collection which is an ongoing set. It has 1000 examples of each coin in the set.

The 2oz singles are the most interesting & desirable amongst the hardcore lunar collectors & look fantastic as collection.

But as always there are two ways of looking at this, the 3 coin mouse & ox sets are worth buying for rarity value, mouse has a mintage of 366 & ox 340,the really rare coins amongst those 3 coin sets are 1/2oz mouse & ox as they were only issued in the 3 coin sets. The 3 coin sets are good value & if you like a particular set just buy it if you like it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Thank you all for your reactions. From what i saw even the normal BU Lunar II coins seem to be pretty good investments. I see especially the 2 OZ coins raise pretty quick in value. So that is why i was thinking about buying some proofs. I do think they look amazing, but i don't want to put my money in things that are almost certain to loose instead of keep or gain value. I like the series a lot, but for that i can also just buy the normal BU coins and put them in a nice collectors box... 

26 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

I know, the original poster was asking about the Lunar II proof sets and motorbikez had mentioned the mouse and Ox

I was merely pointing out the rare coins of the set & why they may be a good buy.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I'm collecting all these proof sets. I have the full 2oz set in the re-released version, missing the tiger in the 1oz and missing the rabbit and horse in the 1/2oz (as well as the first 3 3-coin sets which I haven't addressed yet!)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I picked up two of the rooster sets to get free shipping from The Perth Mint. Don't really need two sets but it made sense at the time. Interesting tidbit is that all previous sets were .999 whereas this set is .9999

24 minutes ago, Oldun said:

I picked up two of the rooster sets to get free shipping from The Perth Mint. Don't really need two sets but it made sense at the time. Interesting tidbit is that all previous sets were .999 whereas this set is .9999

Maybe you're interested in selling one? :) 

11 minutes ago, Oldun said:

No drama. I am the other side of the world from you though but will be in Blighty this August if you can wait ?

Or I can ship from where I am. 

Oh i thought you lived in England haha sorry. PM me with the price you have in mind if you want, then we can talk further. :) I can wait untill august, not a problem there.

Archived