• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Gold 1/4oz Griffin Queens Beasts Ms70

mongo28

12 minutes ago, Jester said:

Is there a page on the RMs website where you can learn more about upcoming releases?  I feel certain there is but my searches to this point have come up empty.  I'm most interested in the 1 oz Griffin Proof and the 2017 Britannia Proof.  Just curious if anyone has the scoop on when we might see these coins..

@arshimo2012 will know :D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Jester said:

Is there a page on the RMs website where you can learn more about upcoming releases?  I feel certain there is but my searches to this point have come up empty.  I'm most interested in the 1 oz Griffin Proof and the 2017 Britannia Proof.  Just curious if anyone has the scoop on when we might see these coins..

Britannia Silver Proof released around July/August 

Queens Beasts Proof November 

I'm new to all this grading but I'm gunna give it a go I like the coins anyway so gold price was OK today at 991 oz so got the set from atKinsons I phoned them first to ask them to put them in coin caps before they sent them cos I wanted to grade them they did say they would try and get me 3 nice ones cos I've been back to them a few times lol is it easy to grade and how does it work any help would be nice 

7 hours ago, Goldmick said:

I'm new to all this grading but I'm gunna give it a go I like the coins anyway so gold price was OK today at 991 oz so got the set from atKinsons I phoned them first to ask them to put them in coin caps before they sent them cos I wanted to grade them they did say they would try and get me 3 nice ones cos I've been back to them a few times lol is it easy to grade and how does it work any help would be nice 

Here it is: 

there are two main grading companies - ngc and pcgs - go to their respective websites - they have detailed information on coin grading from start to finish - pick a company you like - join as a member to submit coins yourself. Or If you are in the U.K. - you may want to get in touch with @Numistackerwho is a member of the forum. He has helped forum members get coins graded with ngc. 

hope this helps @Goldmick.

It seems that the big sales companies decided to go all in with grading the Red Dragon.

We may see is some in the series heavily graded and some not so heavily graded. It is exactly the same thing that happens with sovereigns and Libertads.

There is a price break for 100 coins of exactly the same type and then one can specify a certain number of grade 70s but this requires a big investment by the dealers. Some years and for some coins the dealers make this investment and some years they do not.

41 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

There is a price break for 100 coins of exactly the same type and then one can specify a certain number of grade 70s

Not sure what you mean by this. So if they send in 100 and ask for 100 grade 70's they will get them regardless of the actual grade of the coins???

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

This is why private submitters get lesser grades because the big boys have taken them all, i've said it before, but regardless if your coin is an MS70 if there is a certain amount that's been graded in that grade then the chances are it won't get the 70 grade, that's why it's always better to get your coin in as early as possible giving you a better chance of the elusive top grade

kinda defeats the object of using TPG if every coin doesn't stand on it's own merits?

They neglect to mention this aspect of "fixing" grades in their list of advantages of using their services!

I wonder if they actually look at these bulk submissions or just randomly assign grades as per their quotas and instructions etc?

If they send 300 coins in for evaluation they can specify that all the 70s and some 69's get graded and the rest are returned with a minimal evaluation charge.

The 70s that are graded are charged a premium and the 69's slightly less I believe.

It may look like 75% are 70 and 25% are 69 whereas the reality is that 25% are 70 only. So if I at a later stage send a coin for grading I experience the real probability of 25% despite the fact that 75% of the population is graded at 70.

Bulk grading has the effect of skewing the reality of a 70 within a specific coin population.

Is it that not many 1/4 oz gold Griffins were sent in for grading or are there a glutton of MS69s sitting just below those 5 MS70s?

I wonder why the big dealers were sleeping on the Griffin...from the looks of the red dragon activity/offerings, they're not going to make that mistake again.

On 4/25/2017 at 22:13, Jester said:

Is it that not many 1/4 oz gold Griffins were sent in for grading or are there a glutton of MS69s sitting just below those 5 MS70s?

I wonder why the big dealers were sleeping on the Griffin...from the looks of the red dragon activity/offerings, they're not going to make that mistake again.

@JesterNo big bullion dealers sent in the griffin for grading but a lot of them sent in the dragon.  Ms70's are everywhere and the dealers are asking rediculous prices for them.

Archived