• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

HELP ! Dealing with an eBay Sheister

Pete

38 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

yeah sorry, we tend to that sometimes. Hope it didn't detract from what you were hoping to achieve.

Not at all - see it all the time with enthusiastic forum contributors.

Twice I've been caught on eBay.  The first time was for a 500gm silver bar that was never sent.  The seller tried telling me some sob story about how he'd sent loads of different orders out and none of them had been delivered and all the members had left bad feedback ruining his business!! 

The second time was for a tiny gold coin that when arrived i instantly knew was fake. The seller tried his luck saying he'd bought it from the mint so it couldn't be.  I sent photos of how the plating had chipped off and left a silver coloured inner.  He soon gave me a refund when I opened a pay pal dispute.

Both times PayPal have been brilliant.  I had to wait a mth for a refund but if the seller is in the wrong they back you all the way.

One thing that has always concerned me about considering selling on eBay, but not exclusively to eBay, is if you list a pristine coin or coin set, FDC condition, and the buyer opens the box and a coin falls out; or the buyer takes a coin out of its capsule without wearing clean gloves and it drops onto the floor - the coin can be damaged, scratched, dented or marked so the buyer isn't happy with the new purchase thinking I will claim it was received this way. How could you prevent a damaged coin being returned ? A £2,500 pristine proof set is now significantly devalued? I know you can keep pictures etc. but at the end of the day there has to be a high level of trust and honesty. Most people are, I assume, honest traders but the seller might not have so much protection against a less scrupulous buyer. Personally I don't see myself listing high value proof sets on eBay but bullion is ok.
If I ever consider selling a high value gold coin set I think I would arrange a face to face meeting with a reputable dealer who could inspect and accept the set.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

One thing that has always concerned me about considering selling on eBay, but not exclusively to eBay, is if you list a pristine coin or coin set, FDC condition, and the buyer opens the box and a coin falls out; or the buyer takes a coin out of its capsule without wearing clean gloves and it drops onto the floor - the coin can be damaged, scratched, dented or marked so the buyer isn't happy with the new purchase thinking I will claim it was received this way. How could you prevent a damaged coin being returned ? A £2,500 pristine proof set is now significantly devalued? I know you can keep pictures etc. but at the end of the day there has to be a high level of trust and honesty. Most people are, I assume, honest traders but the seller might not have so much protection against a less scrupulous buyer. Personally I don't see myself listing high value proof sets on eBay but bullion is ok.
If I ever consider selling a high value gold coin set I think I would arrange a face to face meeting with a reputable dealer who could inspect and accept the set.

I've had a couple of buyers thinking I am some type of coin exchange service.  Where they buy a fake or damaged coin from somewhere else, then buy a good coin from me and then try to 'Return' the dodgy coin to me for refund, stating the coin I sent them was damaged on arrival.  Luckily on all the occasions they backed down when I explained the returns process would include the returned coin being examined and the PM content verified before a refund would be paid.

There are lots of chancers on eBay, not just the fake coin sellers.

On 21/02/2017 at 18:51, Sovereign said:

I bought this panda on 7/feb 

he never sent it or replied to my messages

but because his expected delivery time is 20/feb 

couldn't do anything til today 21/feb 

And now have to wait yet another week ,,

i know i will get my money back 

just makes me frustrated somone holding my cash for over 3 weeks ,,,, 

in your case open a return req and send them back recorded after he approves your return req 

you will get your money back ethier ways 

IMG_9983.PNG

IMG_9982.PNG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-1-4-oz-Panda-1982-NGC-MS68-First-Year-of-issue-/152453828214?hash=item237ef4ce76:g:a0sAAOSwTglYkGtq

The dodgy 1/4 panda is back, warning to all !!

Just sharing my experience with you folks on the forum -

As you can see the coins I received were crap despite being described a immaculate mint condition.
After I sent pictures to the seller he claimed they were not the coins he sent and they had previously been examined by an "expert" :lol:

Not wishing to bore you will the details of what followed, eBay instructed me to return the item which I did, sending by Special Delivery believing the seller would have to refund the cost of return postage under the selling terms of eBay.

Once you have returned an item you cannot get into the resolution centre - just shows item in transit and the seller has 6 days to make refund after receipt.
This scheister signed for the item over 2 days ago ( so I sent the picture to eBay proving receipt ) and it is still shown as in transit.
Rather than give the scheister almost another week to not respond I pestered eBay on the phone and voila - a refund has been processed.
Quite a bit of effort to get things moving but eBay were very good in listening and dealing with matters.

Anyhow the problem I now face is getting my £7.25 for postage refunded since the case is closed.
I contacted eBay again to explain and I fear that buried in the small print there is something that stops you automatically getting postage refunded despite is being clear as day that the seller is responsible for refunding in full the cost of return postage. Strange that I just received an offer from PayPal to refund up to £15 per shipment to return stuff over the next 12 months - operation listed in Bulgaria apparently so staying clear of this for now.

Has anyone else processed a claim against a seller for refund of postage after the case was deemed closed ??

The only time I had to refund something like this, I pestered ebay for the postal costs before I sent it. They sent me some kind of postal charge warrant. trouble is, it was only a basic service and not special delivery. I can't remember whether I used it or just took it on the chin and sent it SD.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Having problems with eBay trying to get the cost of Special Delivery refunded.
Although they say the seller is responsible for the return cost they don't seem prepared to refund and charge the seller's account.
Digging deeper into the small print I was somewhat shocked to read that you are supposed to receive a voucher or prepaid returns label before shipping.
Not much use after the event.

One last attempt using the PayPal / TELUS scheme which says they will refund returns costing up to £15 per shipment during 2017.

Hi Pete - whilst i sympathise with your situation here, you are trying to get back what is rightfully yours - but is it not just easier to just write things off in your head with this over what is only a few quid in postage refund - is it really worth your effort and / or stress?

As I've said in past, try to adopt the 'time' model to your life it takes to do something, against what you deem your hourly rate of pay.  

If it takes x1 hour in time, efforts, stress, being on hold, speaking to the umpteen customer service monkey box tickers & supervisor, to sort something.

If you deem you time to be worth £25 per hour is it worth jumping through all this to get back a few quid.  Not to me its not.  

I would sooner enjoy an hour in the local spa steam room and sauna 

eBay and PayPal are both equally as useless as each other this is well known and has never changed since i joined eBay in uni 1998, they protect themselves and their bottom line.  Play the eBay game expect to have one or two deals in a hundred like this.

i-hate-less-love-more-2-y-less-dance-mor

People seldom ever realise that stress & hassles we put ourselves through are toxic to mental & physical health 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Hi Pete - whilst i sympathise with your situation here, you are trying to get back what is rightfully yours - but is it not just easier to just write things off in your head with this over what is only a few quid in postage refund - is it really worth your effort and / or stress?

As I've said in past, try to adopt the 'time' model to your life it takes to do something, against what you deem your hourly rate of pay.  

If it takes x1 hour in time, efforts, stress, being on hold, speaking to the umpteen customer service monkey box tickers & supervisor, to sort something.

If you deem you time to be worth £25 per hour is it worth jumping through all this to get back a few quid.  Not to me its not.  

eBay and PayPal are both equally as useless as each other this is well known and has never changed since i joined eBay in uni 1998, they protect themselves and their bottom line.  Play the eBay game expect to have one or two deals in a hundred like this.

People seldom ever realise that stress & hassles we put ourselves through are toxic to mental & physical health 

Paul - you are spot on !!

I agree entirely BUT I can be a stubborn old fart ( Victor Meldrew in the making ) and don't like being scammed or taken advantage of.

Having got that statement off my chest I know that the time wasted and stress is bad for my health but I am posting this stuff hoping some others on the forum may remember and gain some new knowledge. Help in the community and all that - besides it is pouring with rain outside. I am saving up to get a decent place in a well run asylum should the stress blow the main fuse.

On 3/3/2017 at 17:43, Paul said:

Can't say I agree.  I'd jump on my own sword to get the 'right' thing.  If nobody makes a stand, that conman will continue making a small fortune conning people, and get away with it.

2 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

that conman will continue making a small fortune conning people, and get away with it.

If you don't wish to deal with possible negative outcomes, don't use eBay it is a simple as that.  

The environment eBay/PayPal set up to buy and sell PMs is not 100% perfect.  Deals can and do go bad do so at your own risk, also remember the changes to PayPal T&C's when it comes to buying/selling precious metals 

I would rather use HGM, Atkinsons or Royal Mint bullion and get some gold hassle free deal in a  few clicks.  I might miss the odd ebay bargain but hey ho.

Yea, I'm currently in dispute with someone over a silver Panda, seller has given me the "i was bed ridden ill and cannot post for week", then oh i will post tomorrow, and still not posted. So a dispute has been opened and on 13th March i will be asking for refund..

I've bought alot of silver 1ox coins from ebay, don't think i would have the gutz to use it for gold, think i will stay for with the known online dealers. Risk £20/£30 on a silver coin I can live with risking £100s or even £1000s on gold.. aint got the stomach for that.

On 3/8/2017 at 11:20, Paul said:

If you don't wish to deal with possible negative outcomes, don't use eBay it is a simple as that.  

Did you really do that ....  taking only part of what I said in a sentence and using it out of context?  I didn't say I don't like dealing with negative outcomes on eBay.  In fact, I stated I would cut my nose off despite my face to pursue the correct result.  Luckily so far with 100% success; with Amazon not so much (Amazon doesn't appear to care).

I have an eBay shop and do very well from it, no chance of me stopping using it (unless eBay keeps stitching the seller's up).  Con artists come with the territory, but are more and more prevalent since eBay changed the seller feedback options.

21 hours ago, QuantumX said:

I've bought alot of silver 1ox coins from ebay, don't think i would have the gutz to use it for gold, think i will stay for with the known online dealers. Risk £20/£30 on a silver coin I can live with risking £100s or even £1000s on gold.. aint got the stomach for that.

There are a few dealers on this forum that have both eBay shops and their own dedicated websites.  Here is a link to the forum page with a list of dealers the members have suggested.

You'll see me on the list as TJB Precious Metals, though I am a little low on stock at the moment.

Archived