• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

VAT free second hand silver

StackemHigh

At what point does silver become second hand?

Can a dealer legally buy on the second hand market and still charge VAT on the price of the silver not just the profit?

Is there a threshhold on secondhand silver i can bring into britain / eu without tax when returning from other parts of the world?

I've had a look at R&Customs website but it's so complicated!

Any help would be great.

A dealer that is VAT registered must charge 20% on new silver.

Strictly speaking the dealer should not charge VAT on secondhand silver but the price you pay will likely be the same, as the dealer will increase his margin by the same amount as the VAT. Always worth trying to get a discount but probably unlikely.

Customs really don't care whether items are new or used.

They are looking at the value and if they can squeeze some tax from you then that's one of their functions.

An expensive but well worn watch may not be of interest but PMs definitely will, shiny or not.

You have a personal allowance and anything exceeding this needs to be declared through the red channel.

I was once charged for the clothes ( used ! ) in my luggage which I had to buy after being robbed in the USA.

I had to write a cheque on a blank sheet of paper as I had no means of paying the tax - bastards !

My error was being honest.

I was once charged for the clothes ( used ! ) in my luggage which I had to buy after being robbed in the USA.

I had to write a cheque on a blank sheet of paper as I had no means of paying the tax - bastards !

My error was being honest.

Wow nothing add, apart from that really sucks  :(

Did they check your receipts? Unbelievable jobsworth mentality. I am going to USA next month and plan on buying a coin or two while I am in the wild west, should I put the coins in my hand luggage or pocket?

• Founder & Administrator

In the UK dealers have to charge you VAT on secondhand silver unless they are on the tax system that allows them not to. I believe this only applies to selling collectable coins and not bullion, obviously what is a collectable coin and what is bullion is a bit loose as many collectors collect bullion coins.

In regards to bringing back silver with you when you come back to the UK, you can bring up to your personal limit, it's something pathetic like £360. Not sure exact amount. You will need to check the HRMC website.

Best thing is to buy new silver from Germany / Estonia. Or get stuff posted to you, and hope you don't get taxed, it depends what the value of the item is and the amount the sender declares. Or buy preowned silver from chards, they seem to have good prices.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

In regards to bringing back silver with you when you come back to the UK, you can bring up to your personal limit, it's something pathetic like £360. Not sure exact amount. You will need to check the HRMC website.

£390 Limit  :o

Glad they didn't find my $2500 camera I got in the US a few months ago, I had no idea it was so low......

Thing is though how would they know you got it out of the country if you binned the box/ packaging etc etc?

Did they check your receipts? Unbelievable jobsworth mentality. I am going to USA next month and plan on buying a coin or two while I am in the wild west, should I put the coins in my hand luggage or pocket?

One in your wallet, or two if it is a big wallet. And pocket third. Or cabin baggage is also OK. Never ever ever put it in hold bags!!!

I did not have any receipts - the "jobs-worth" customs guy just guessed a value and charged me about 20% of his figure.

I have brought coins back from the USA several times.

Never place in hold luggage - this is x-rayed behind the scenes and dishonest baggage handlers can easily help themselves.

I always keep my coins in carry-on and inside a plastic bag which I place in the scanner tray with my iPad.

Never been stopped or questioned as coins are readily identifiable.

If you had a tube of coins hidden inside your bag, it is more likely to be stopped for inspection but at the end of the day these screenings are for explosives not bullion.

Archived