• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do people store their 1oz and 2oz capsuled coins

Deputydog

Hi, I hope everybody is well.

I was wondering how people store their 1oz and 2oz capsuled coins.

I bought a coin album but the pockets are too small.

Are the boxes with foam inserts any good and can anybody recommend one.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Deputydog

I can second Keith's old recommendation - those plastic containers from the Home Bargains shop here in the UK are very effective and cheap to store your capsules.  Nice they come with little plastic dividers within them so nothing rattles around.

With gold it is much easier, an old OXO tin normally is adequate for most {sigh}

For coins which I collect and want to have a look at from time to time, I use a lighthouse case which holds 7 trays x 24 giving 168 coins total per case.

For everything else which are duplicates/volume hold then I use Air-Tite tubes since I don't need access to them and are just bulk stored.

2017-02-12 13.42.53.jpg

2017-02-12 13.44.10.jpg

I store mine in oversize plastic tubes that only seem to be available from the US which is a shame as it makes them expensive, I put them in capsules then store them in the tubes.  'H' model coin tubes is what they are called.

Edit - thats them Morezone has pictured above, if anyone knows where to get these cheaper than ordering from the US please let me know.

I use a combination of all the above.

Some collections are in Meinmunzboxes of various sizes, the more valuable ones are in Lighthouse Leuchtturm trays http://www.coingallery.co.uk/lighthouse-coin-trays-28-c.asp, they interlock, are slim and fit in the safe. Cheaper semi-nums are in the cheap plastic trays from Home Bargains (you can get around 190 - 200 in one) and really cheap stuff is in plastic bags chucked in the drawer of a filing cabinet.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

55 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

I store mine in oversize plastic tubes that only seem to be available from the US which is a shame as it makes them expensive, I put them in capsules then store them in the tubes.  'H' model coin tubes is what they are called.

Edit - thats them Morezone has pictured above, if anyone knows where to get these cheaper than ordering from the US please let me know.

@morezone actually stocks them. Just ordered some myself in fact :D

See: 

As for myself; the "main collection" (kooks, koalas, lunars, etc) go in Lighthouse/Leuchtturm binders with Encap sheets, basically plastic binder sheets that can hold coin capsules.

Binder: https://www.leuchtturm.com/ringbinder-grande-classic-design-incl-slipcase.html
Sheets: https://www.leuchtturm.com/plastic-sheets-encap.html

the rest in airtite tubes.

On 2017-02-12 at 12:46, Deputydog said:

I bought a coin album but the pockets are too small...

If you bought a album I guess, you wish to look at them once and a while.

Then for albums their other inserts/pages you use, lighthouse/Numis/Leuchtturm have something called encap, which is pages you clip in capsules.

or use boxes, in a model you fancy.

If it is coins you don't need to admire. I think is @morezone that had the nice idea, to vacuum pack them. This I also started with, with coins that I will have sitting for some time. Hopefully this will help keep the coins in mint state.

Archived