• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Antique medals

MickB

I bought this medal back in 2006 from an antique fair held at Cheltenham race course.

It measures 60 x 80mm & is 3mm thick and weighs just a little over 5 ounces. A magnet slides down it which is good. It's made by Eugene Jean De Bremaecker from Belgium and the wording translates to; 'The International joint-stock company of Telegraph wireless to it's collaborators and friends', according to Google translate.

I did see at the time a website that had a full description of his medals but can no longer find it. I don't know how many of these were made either.

The value of it now I'm not sure about but I think I bought it for £90 as I liked the look of it. The dealer said I bought it at a very good price, well I guess he would say that to all his customers.

Has anyone on the forum any idea what it's actually worth, apart from scrap price or does anyone collect these antique medals?

Age of telegraph.JPG

Medallion.JPG

No I haven't @Pipers as I don't have any acid to test with. The dealer never said what it was made of and there's no corrosion present. Would pewter act the same way with a magnet? The magnet acted in the same way as it does on a silver coin.

Pewter has its collectors and is mostly tin, so if it is Pewter the easiest way would be the ice cube test compared to a sterling silver spoon Silver melts a lot slower than Pewter.

Just because its Pewter does not mean its worthless.  I was at an Auction a few months ago when a piece of Pewter fetched a few hundred I believe  condition is everything, thats as far as my knowledge goes.            

2 minutes ago, Pipers said:

a sterling silver spoon Silver melts a lot slower than Pewter.     

I would have thought the Spoon would be quicker? I know nothing of pewter so appologies if I'm wrong.

30 minutes ago, pho said:

fyi.... found this one on eBay but it's bronze. otherwise looks the same?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telegraph-Operators-Bronze-Medal-E-J-Bremaecker-Belgium-1919-/301726946920

It is the same one, although in a different metal. 344 dollars for the bronze one:o

@danmc82 there's a ding in the corner that's gone black inside but no sign of copper. I'll give it the ice cube test to see.

That looks lovely Mick

I could only find two other medals by Eugene Jean De Bremaecker and they were Silvered-copper, One had a estimate of £120

but didn't look half as nice as yours. I think your medal will have a art value more than its silver weight   

Thanks @barney:) I haven't seen many of his medals since I bought this one.

I had to chip off a chunk of ice from my chest freezer to use for the ice test. It does melt it and noticed how bitterly cold it got all round to touch but it didn't seem to melt it as quickly as I thought it would.

Archived