• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does anyone know this coin?

carenr85

Hello guys I'm new to stacking/collecting coins and I'm new to The Silver Forum as well, I was at the LCS and I bought a beautiful coin (10 Mark commemorating Beethoven's 200 anniversary)  from East Germany. I did some research on it and I found out that it is .625 Silver, but I couldn't find the mint where it was minted at, I do see a "F4" mark, I dont't know if that is that mint mark, and if that it is what does it mean?

Thank You.

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-28 at 5.21.36 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-28 at 5.21.36 PM.jpeg

Yes I did see the Numista website. According to the German site MDM, it is from East Berlin, well with my very small knowledge of German and google translate that's what I understood. I do appreciate it, no matter where it was minted it is a beautiful piece.

I looked a bit into the coin.  There's a bit more information on Catawiki than Numista, including the designers:

https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/coins/countries/gdr/1632663-gdr-10-mark-1970-200th-birthday-ludwig-von-beethoven

I'm not sure about the F4, but maybe it has something to do with the designer Fitzenreiter.  That being said, the other coins designed by him at that link don't seem to have the F4 symbol. I'll see if I can find something else.  Doing a bit more research, I found this:

http://www.coinweek.com/world-coins/east-german-commemorative-coins-the-collector-market-25-years-later/

This distinction has been largely discarded today. All East German commemoratives were struck at Berlin, many still bearing the A mintmark though no other Mints were in service.

Hope this helps!

Yes it did help a lot, I did not see any of those two sites. Coin week had a lot of rich history about it and not only this specific coin but the story of the East Germany coins in General. According to the site the "F4" mark is both the designers mark, " Fitzenreiter and Bertram (F4) designed the 1971 .625 silver 20 mark of ultra-leftist leaders Karl Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg...". 

Thank you so much for your help. I think I made a good purchase :)

Archived