• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What were the best profit buys of 2016?

Kman

I thought it would be interesting to make a thread for the best profit coins of 2016 aka the best coins you could bought and flipped for instant profit

Please add your own and feel free to discuss 

2017 Proof Sovereign - issue price £430 - now selling on Ebay for - £650

Peter Rabbit 2016 UK 50p Silver Proof Coin - issue price £55  now selling on Ebay for - £350 ish

Honorable mention - Queens Beast bullion Lion and Griffin in 70 - £40ish + grading - £550

ps. if you think any of these prices are wrong/misleading let me know and I will correct

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1oz Krug (any bullion) buy February £800, sell July or November £1000+

profit £200+. x by amount of Troy Oz prepared to exchange.

Hindsght s a terrible thing, illustration purposes only, I have sold bugger all.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

9 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Not wanting to put a damper on the post, but you mentioned best profit buys, but all of those you mention are selling on ebay, but not actually sold? So no actual profit yet, or have i read this wrong?

These are taken from "sold" listings on Ebay

You can view them here for the 2017 proof sovereign for instance

Of course you have to factor in the fees too, but still doing well.  

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2016 S+W American liberty 1 ounce silver medal set.

Purchased 2 medals of each from the us mint for issue price of I think it was $35 each= total price $140, flipped the unopened box of 4 medals the next day on eBay for $550, so less fees I netted around $475 = $335 profit in one day. 

These medals still sell for around $100 each ungraded - if in 70 each one goes for around $200 each.

Funny how this item had the biggest collector demand of all the  us mint releases in 2016. Has to be the low mintage.

The queen's beast proof sold for £67.99.

i think there may well have been some spotting on the coin. For the price why are we being subjected to milk spot?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

6 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Because the mint is lacking quality control, until they address that issue nothing will change

There is an idea it is a detergent left on the planchettes and then baked in. There is no definite reason known.

For God sake they should experiment until they determine exactly what the cause is. If you have paid a massive premium for a proof coin which then developed milk spot. It is a disaster for that coin. Throw it in the melting pot. 

I tell people to avoid the Royal Canadian Mint b/c they have rampant milk spot and they don't care. It is a constant worry for me with any more expensive silver coins. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just now, shortstack68 said:

The RM isn't a rampant issue but there is issues, here's the other problem, its the RM and people want to buy their product and they know this, i don't buy Canadian mint coins, although saying that, i never thought i'd buy a Rwanda coin lol

No it is not rampant with the Royal Mint but it is with the Royal Canadian Mint (which is what i said). ^_^

Can we stay on topic :P

What have been the best profit buys of 2016 that you know of?

ps. If you sell a coin still available from the mint you can't expect it to do well

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Can we stay on topic :P

What have been the best profit buys of 2016 that you know of?

ps. If you sell a coin still available from the mint you can't expect it to do well

Possibly a bit early to judge these things? Although the real fliers tend to be evident early on.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Possibly a bit early to judge these things? Although the real fliers tend to be evident early on.

I would have thought so too, but the coins I've listed did really well out of the gate and I'm more interested in what people could have flipped for a quick profit then hold for years

Will be an interesting point of reference too for a couple of years time 

Assuming one doesn't gave to take the profit...

Griffin and Lion in MS70 > $500
Britannia 2016 reverse proof in MS70 > $800
Sovereign 2017 £630
All Nanjing Pandas 2016
All Dragon and Phoenix medals
Perhaps the 2016 Britannia Premium set and the 2017 Sovereign premium set but there is little sale data as they are rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Numistacker said:

All Nanjing Pandas 2016
All Dragon and Phoenix medals

Do you know the original price and what they're selling for now roughly?

Just looking again at the 2017 sov, the last 6 sold were all £690+, it's really flying 

Do you know the original price and what they're selling for now roughly?

Just looking again at the 2017 sov, the last 6 sold were all £690+, it's really flying 

I sold some copper Nanjing Pandas on eBay NGC PF69

Selling price $180
Less ebay fee $23 say
Less original coin $50
Less grading fee of $30
So $73 profit roughly on $180 sale

Those buyers paying hundreds, I wonder if they will make any profit themselves?

The ones buying at this stage will mostly be collectors so profit would be irrelevant to them. Most flippers would have bought them on issue.
The same with the 2017 sovereign. The collectors who missed out on issue are buying them at current prices. I don't think they really care if they can or will make a profit on it in the future.
That's the things with flippers, collectors and stackers. The primary reason for picking something maybe be different for each of them.

5 hours ago, morezone said:

The same with the 2017 sovereign. The collectors who missed out on issue are buying them at current prices. I don't think they really care if they can or will make a profit on it in the future.

It's odd though isn't it

They weren't that long ago available from the mint and it's not as though they sold out in minutes, people had plenty of time to pick one up

It's hard to think who is paying £700 a pop now so quickly

It's odd though isn't it

They weren't that long ago available from the mint and it's not as though they sold out in minutes, people had plenty of time to pick one up

It's hard to think who is paying £700 a pop now so quickly

FOMO I think and possibly rightly. I don't think they will go lower than they are now. The graded ones can sell at £900 to £1200

20 minutes ago, RareAGstrikes said:

Those buyers paying hundreds, I wonder if they will make any profit themselves?

and to think these are not even micro mintage, these are mini mintage or higher

Are you referring to the 2017 Sov this time?  Again, these are mainly end collectors which means profit is irrelevant to them.  Most of the Royal Mint stuff rarely make a profit in the secondary market.  There are a few exceptions though.  Buying at £650, the next stage would be £765 to break even.  If the 2017 goes over £800 then people buying now could make a profit although but most will be held for many years and will not change hands.

The graded ones will definitely not be changing hands for a long time.  99% collector buying here.

37 minutes ago, RareAGstrikes said:

But these have mintages in the tens or even hundreds of thousands not exactly rare?

2017 Proof Sov is around the 10k mark so not rare but it seems there is quite a big demand for it.  Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it's going to be collectible and carry big premiums and big profits.  Not coin related but there is a Polymer Dragon note issued in 2000 with an issue of 10 million.  Not exactly rare but 16/17 years on and these fetch quite a bit.  Things don't even have to be silver.  Plenty of Chinese coins and medals in the likes of brass and copper which fetch a tidy sum these days.  It's not just about mintage but also desirability.  Plenty of coins out there with very low mintages which can now be bought for less than issue.

Archived