• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Worth it? - The Britannia 2017 Brilliant Uncirculated Coin

creative

I'm just taking a look at the 2017 Britannia and wanted to see what the collectors think? Is the very specific £52.50 worth it for a none proof 1oz coin?

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2017_One_Ounce_Silver_Brilliant_Uncirculated_Coin

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Yep. Got the series from the beginning so as a collecting part of the equation, I'm in for one.Not in it for the investment or to make a quick buck. Purely for the aesthetic collecting part of my soul....and an easy Xmas prezzie to myself...I've been a good boy this year :D and most here will spend a fortune on Xmas dinner and prezzies so not a difficult decision to make for me.

• 2 months later...

I am a US based collector of the business strike Britannias and really like the 2017 design with the "radial sunburst" in the fields. I thought the dimpled or "textured" fields of 2016 and 2015 coins looked OK and the plain fields with the limited mintage for both years were even better. One thing I will add...doesn't seem to be a lot of MS 70s available in the 2017. I've seen quite a few at MS 69 on eBay, but only 1 in MS 70. Have you seen many perfect coins for 2017?

9 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

As a bullion coin not many would slab this sort of thing, it's just adding to its bullion value which i doubt would get a return

I agree with you Shortstack68 that the Britannia series since the fineness change (2013 to .999 silver) and the lack of alternating designs (ended in either 2011 or 2013 technically) has now become very much like an ASE or CML. However, I even see those bullion coins slabbed quite often which makes me think there is a collectors' market for bullion coins - or maybe you'd say people who want to waste money on slabs. I for one would rather collect the Britannia over the perennially same ASE design or the .9999 fineness of the CML with their occasional privy marks. There is enough of a variety in the series I consider it more like the Chinese Panda. I do like the "coin and not the case" as is the phrase and I'd rather have a coin 3 experts said was perfect than one in a silly little not-so-airtight capsule. I guess I'll stop the essay and ask you - would you slab a semi-numismatic coin like a Chinese Panda if you thought it would get an MS 69 or 70? If not, why not?

13 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

No i wouldn't slab a silver panda, and lets be honest, the Britannia are all shipped in tubes due to how many are minted, so are the Queens beasts, i'd personally just buy a tube. I think silver has too low a value for slabbing, if it were a proof panda for instance, then yes i'd slab that, bullion gold is also debatable for slabbing, it adds a few dollars or whatever, but nothing in huge amounts, so i guess i'm saying that i'd only slab proof coins.....

Thanks for the perspective - I generally don't like proof coins (some exceptions) since I feel they target collectors and are marked up well beyond what they should be even if the coin is a low mintage one. I do agree they can be flipped and earn some profit if that is what you are doing. In defense of the Britannia: There was a 2011 "Matte" Britannia where only 2337 were struck, a 2014 mule error where the obverse was struck with the lunar series die and is missing the denticles of the typical Britannia obverse, and in 2015 and 2016 a "Plain Fields" version of the Britannia where only 10,000 were minted each. None of these are proofs, and sure they are bullion coins, but they are interesting and they have a story. I own all, and all are slabbed, and while I didn't pay NGC myself to slab them I don't mind buying them that way. My only comment would be give the Britannia a chance...they are wonderful to collect and I enjoy them very much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived