• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Some expert advice on slabbing of coins

"In one recent case, a coin dealership grossly overcharged customers for coins which had been certified by major grading services. "

Although there are some pearls in what the article says, at the end of the day you have to assume that if you are getting into this segment of numismatics you come prepared and know what you are getting into. Like most things in life, the only thing that ever stops something being sold is the price. If the market will support someone 'paying over the odds' it will happen. Why do people buy sports and music tickets on the second hand market well over the face value?  If the dealer in question fleeced someone into believing something beyond the market value and set out to deceive it does add another dimension.

In the near 35 years I have collected I had deliberately stayed clear of grading simply due to the opaque nature of it all. Recent moves by dealers in collaboration with one or other the grading services  to offer for example 'Gem grade' an 'early additions' at a premium just heightens my feeling that this is being abused. Converse to this I have actively started to get my Chinese medals and coins graded simply due to the vagaries of dealing within a marketplace where counterfeiting is rife and full understanding of what is being offered is hampered by a culture and a language which I know  little of. Similarly I have one eye on future sales and where I can see that graded chinese coins/medals do command a premium over those that are not. That said i do question if five or ten years down the line  the premiums to be paid  for PF70 over  PF69 will be recovered.............. There again it will be down to the market to decide  

I'm only going to give my opinion on modern silver proofs & my observations over the last year or so. From what I have observed in general only PF70 coins make more than the raw coin, often PF69 coins don't even make as much as the raw coin in proof.

Sometimes they make substantially less http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122182342373?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That 5 ozer in omp & in good condition,  would be worth around £400 at least, whoever bought that slabbed coin  got an absolute bargain.

There are certain coins if you have them to never slab, they are lunar S1 2oz proofs( you won't add value you will devalue them) & I wouldn't advise doing it to the 1oz or 1/2oz either, you are limiting your market  basically to the US & even there serious collectors of those coins prefer them raw.

I do have a few PF70 proofs but I have bought them only as examples as I haven't got that particular coin & do not specifically collect them.

I would as @ArthGoch think about grading for Chinese medals for the reasons he states & also as numi does older gold coins. Other modern proof silver coins do your homework or you'll get burnt if you try/want/need to sell.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

On 10/29/2016 at 05:04, Numistacker said:

I am a believer in slabbing generally but there are still some times when it pays to be cautious. Some wise words here by expert Scott Travers

http://www.usgoldexpert.com/articles/the-10-greatest-myths-of-slabbed-coins/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great topic - to which there probably is no real answer at the moment - just personal preference as to the collector and the means of how they wish to store and preserve their collections.  

Anything is really only worth what someone is willing to give you for it when you want to sell it.

The ultimate challenge i see is how to preserve the coins in the collection in the state you receive them in for the longest period possible, with the only limitation being our own lifespans, at which point the coin will have to be passed on, or until we wish to sell it.

I plan on bringing my collection with me into the afterlife - as such I have constructed a box made of URU, an extremely rare non-earth metal. This will end the debate for me as to having my coins graded or left in the original OGP, because I do both and at the end of the day, they will all fit nicely in my box.  :)      

Everyone else will need to decide on there own. :lol:

i am relatively new to coin collecting. i have never bothered to get a coin graded. One thing i notice in the sales section of the forum is that slabbed coins do not sell as well as raw coins. Here in a community including at least some coin collectors and investors, it would seem slabbed coins do not sell as well. i doubt it is b/c those here are inherently against slabbing, i would suspect it is due to the increased prices asked for graded coins. So rather than augmenting the saleability of a coin, it seems in general to make coins less saleable.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Archived