• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to increase value of your "premium" coins

Gilver

In recent sale, forum member pointed out that one of my "premium" deep cameo slabbed coins has few small yellow spots that I overlooked. So I checked four other coins stored in other location and I was pleasantly surprised. After few years of storage two of my relatively common "premium" coins transitioned from beautiful coins to "one of the kind" coins by adding some new features on surface. I suppose that now that coins are unique and their value is immeasurable, especially one with stars on the sky. So this is just one of many examples how after few years of patient waiting investment in "premium" coins can be highly rewarding and profitable. :);):P 

spotting01.jpg

spotting02o.jpg

spotting02r.jpg

Thanks for posting this, sorry for your coins spots.

I have read about and also seen Chinese coins getting graded and then some developing milk spots, I go against the commonly held view that grading is the way to go with Chinese coins, I like my coins in OMP and strongly believe that the coins stay in better condition if left in their original capsules. 

I must admit I have once or twice thought I may go for grading, however having read your post, until they sort this milk spotting out, it is OMP for me everyday. 

I have read that this is caused by temperature and humidity changes, as soon as the coin is released from its capsule a reaction starts to takes place, I believe NGC and PCGS slabs are not 100% air tight.

24 minutes ago, DavePanda said:

I have read that this is caused by temperature and humidity changes, as soon as the coin is released from its capsule a reaction starts to takes place, I believe NGC and PCGS capsules are not 100% air tight.

I believe that slabs aren't air tight too, but even if they are, if during encapsulation humidity enters capsule coin will be forever trapped in humid atmosphere and will develop spots regardless. Maybe if encapsulation is done in vacuum, who knows ;)

Archived