• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1st sov which one

craig12

gunna buy ny first sovereign,  not so much which dealer to go for but which sovereign

is it a mistake to go newer  ie 2013  or 2014   do sovs  appreciate with age  and the young stuff is  it a bad buy?

I like the ones with the shield on personally , also I asked a dealer the other day what condition it came in if it was mixed years

will all sovereigns regardless sof year be a bright gold finish  or will they be a very dull finish on the really old ones

regards

I would suggest trying to get hold of a young head Victorian sovereign first then a George V and then an Elizabethan.

I really don't think you would regret getting the YHVS. I've got all the monarchs apart from George III.

My new 2012 sov is the least favourite of my nine sovs.

if you simplify sovereigns  how many different  heads/designs are there since they began

George III (rare)

Victoria

Edward VII

George V

Elizabeth II

There are three different Victorian heads; young, old, old veiled.

And I think three different Elizabethan heads. Happy collecting.

Oh, you also have shield obverses as well as the usual Saint George on the back.

im getting boggle eyed and exited  searching these  sovs out  , you've really got to compare , the delivery charge  and different mark ups  is a task in itself

or is it just best to buy what you like if the prices are within a few pound between dealers 

When you're talking about a £200 (or something around 350+ for young head Vic with a shield) a difference of a few £ is effectively a wash so don't worry so much. Gold spot only has to sneeze to even it out so.

I use bullionbypost prices as a guide because they specifically have each type of sovereign as an option, they have it as £322.

You can find Elizabeth II young heads for that money, doubt its legitimate because a modern sovereign is only about a tenner/15 less than that, and the young head Victoria's were minted 1838 - 1887 with 3 exceptions. Doubt the premium on those would be less than £20.

Would appreciate a link though, just to see.

As an aside, could a mod wrap this up into the current sovereign thread? I mean, it boils down to the merits of older/newer sovs which would be better suited in the existing thread.

George III (rare)

Victoria

Edward VII

George V

Elizabeth II

There are three different Victorian heads; young, old, old veiled.

And I think three different Elizabethan heads. Happy collecting.

Oh, you also have shield obverses as well as the usual Saint George on the back.

I missed out two or three monarchs. Try getting their gold sovereigns though!

http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/heads.html

Archived